Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I gave Bo his last DHLPP shot...and a few hours later I looked at his neck where I injected it and it is swollen.  they are going to the vet tomorrow and it doesn't seem to bother him, just looks big and swollen...is this something that can wait until tomorrow, I did give him some kids benedryl...or should I try to get him into an e-vet?  He does not show pain or anything

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Seems to me I remember Sharon talking about this..Sounds like a reaction just to the shot Jamie

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The benedryl should be fine until he goes tomorrow....The main thing you want to watch for is swelling in the throat area...Sometimes it is a reaction to what is in the shot, generally the lepto vaccine and sometimes it is a reaction from the needle used to give the vaccine....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the swelling is in the neck, but on the side, below where i injected...between the throat and the top of the neck...he is breathing fine, playful, energetic (was until he played with Simba and Jetta for 45 minutes outside)...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You should be fine then...The swelling in the throat I am referring to would be more of where you would consider his tonsils to be (throat below the lower jaw.....If the swelling is there then the lymph nodes get swollen sometimes and can cause an issue....But if he is acting fine....again there is no reason to go to the Evet....The benedryl will help take the swell out and keep him from getting hives.....A Lepto reaction usually causes hives all over and swelling in the eyes, nose and throat area....this was probably just a shot/needle reaction.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm...does this mean that both my dogs have vaccine reactions?  Or is this issue with Bo a one time only thing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts