Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 10 year old boxer. He is on medication for elevated liver enzymes and Provicon and glucosamine supplement for arthritis. His arthritis is progressing and I think he had a seizure 2 days ago. He froze on the steps, was drooling a little and cried when I tried to move him. He slowly came out of it. Taken to vet immediately. I had to work and had bf take him. So only communication was over the phone with the vet assistant. Told me his enzyme number was up to 700 and he may have dementia. Everything else checked out normal. Told to take him home for the weekend, give him lots of love and anything he wants to eat. And I asked if he was dying and she said “Essentially, yes” They prescribed gavapentin for more pain relief. Needless to say I have been a nervous wreck for 2 days. Always watching him. I’m terrified I’m going to wake up and he’ll be gone. My question is: If his liver numbers are elevated and everything else is normal, how is he now to the point of them telling me to basically enjoy what time he had left? They made it sound like the end is near. He eats and drinks well. Gets around slowly but still gets around. Uses the bathroom regularly. Anyone have any experience with something similar?? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What is going on with his liver have they done tests to find out why he has elevated enzymes? My first Boxer at 13 had some pretty bad arthritis towards the end and she also did get dementia type symptoms but they entailed getting lost in the backyard not knowing how to find the back door, using the bathroom in the house she did not die on her own I had to take her in when she was just having a miserable time. That was before the newer meds came out to address arthritic problems. I would suggest seeing another Vet and find out exactly what is causing his problem it almost sounds like from what you describe they don’t know and don’t seem to want to find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
...And I asked if he was dying and she said “Essentially, yes” ...
I would call the vet back and ask for further explanation. I know sometimes when the vet talks to me after a visit, especially when I'm upset, I can't always remember all the details of what they were saying. Especially when it's just over the phone and not face to face. And if the assistant isn't thorough enough I would ask to speak to the vet directly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone. I have a 10 year old boxer. He is on medication for elevated liver enzymes and Provicon and glucosamine supplement for arthritis. His arthritis is progressing and I think he had a seizure 2 days ago. He froze on the steps, was drooling a little and cried when I tried to move him. He slowly came out of it. Taken to vet immediately. I had to work and had bf take him. So only communication was over the phone with the vet assistant. Told me his enzyme number was up to 700 and he may have dementia. Everything else checked out normal. Told to take him home for the weekend, give him lots of love and anything he wants to eat. And I asked if he was dying and she said “Essentially, yes” They prescribed gavapentin for more pain relief. Needless to say I have been a nervous wreck for 2 days. Always watching him. I’m terrified I’m going to wake up and he’ll be gone. My question is: If his liver numbers are elevated and everything else is normal, how is he now to the point of them telling me to basically enjoy what time he had left? They made it sound like the end is near. He eats and drinks well. Gets around slowly but still gets around. Uses the bathroom regularly. Anyone have any experience with something similar?? Thank you.
I have a ten year old Boxer with elevated liver enzymes and my local vet was concerned. They put him on liver supportive medicine and there was no response to the medication. I took him to Tufts vet school where the second TPLO surgery was to be performed and informed them about the elevated enzymes they told me it was not a problem to worry about unfortunately I don’t remember the numbers. This year the enzyme numbers were elevated again and my local vet concerned again. This time they tested for Cushings disease. That test was negative. The local vet was calling Tufts about the elevated numbers and I have heard nothing back yet. My opinion go to an excellent place like Tufts for anything major. If your concerned and stressed that qualifies. The local vets and their labs seem to have limited capabilities. Think about it they usually are small or solo practices as compared to vet schools doing research with many minds to work the problem. I hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts