Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My angel is now almost 7 years old. We have so many health problems....
Recently she start vomiting once a day and after few days she refuse to eat. I took her to a vet, and after x rays she told me she have a small infection and a lot of gas on her intestine. Sent me at home with ranitidine. 6 days ago, she stopped eating again, so I took her to another vet. This time, the x rays shows infection all over and blood result shows salt poisoning.
The vet give her a lot of shots, sent me at home with antibiotics and a infusion. Next day, I took her again for blood test, and the sodium chloride from her blood dropped. We are on antibiotics since, I feed her rice and chicken for 3days and 3days ago I start adding her kibble. Today she was supposed to eat just kibble but she refused.Her stomach started again make a lot of noise.
She’s sitting near to her bowl for 4 hours now, and if my corgi try to approach, she attack him. I am desperate....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Linda. I will do this. I am confused about the quantity of rice and chicken. The vet told me to feel her 1/2 cup ( uncooked ) rice every meal, 5-6 time/day. Isn’t too much?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I use cooked rice with boiled chicken breast (no bones, no skin) I never heard to use uncooked rice. I would cut the chicken into small cubes after I cooked it and mixed it in with the rice. I really did't measure it, I used my judgement. Guessing it was about 3/4 cup rice to about 1/4 cup chicken, as he improved I added a few extra pieces of chicken to it. I fed this 2 times a day, I also did not give any treats but occasionally would give a piece of the cubed chicken as a treat if the need arose. Be sure the food is not hot when you serve it. I am no medical person but that is how I take care of my dog when his stomach is upset. I suppose you could break the meals into smaller more frequent meals if that its wha your vet wants. I did it for about 10 days then began to add few piece of kibble back also softened and as he tolerated I aded more and les of the rice & chicken. Good luck and I hope this will help your boy, but again since I'm not a medical person talk to your vet .

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Sometimes the veterinary prescription foods work well if they are recovering. Not sure if you have Royal Canin, or Hills prescription food in Germany. Your vet would have to provide it. Foods like Hills I/d are very easily digestible, and you can mix the canned with a little rice or potato. Sometimes just the smell of food makes them nauseated. You might also just give a little rice with water, and some veggie broth to prime the pump.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you so much ladies. My vet said to measure 1/2 cup uncooked rice, to cook it, mix it with chicken breast and feed her. He said to do this 5-6 times/day. This will be about 3 cups/day( raw rice) but after I cook it, it there is a lot of rice.
I found on internet that for a dog who weighs more than 50 pounds the ratio is between 6-8 cooked rice cups/day. I am more confused now.
http://http://www.mylwah.com/images/PDF/resources-bland-diet.pdf
Usually my dogs eat Hills Z/D ( Laika have allergies to almost everything )

I wish you with all my heart Merry Christmas ❤������

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If your dog was on z/d, and has food allergies, chicken may be a problem. If you use this BalanceIt site you can have them formulate a single protein, single carb diet. I had used one formulated with fish & potato years ago that saved a dog with IBD and pancreatitis. You can look at options in the home-made food search. Your vet can send the records for your dog, and they can do it that way. https://www.facebook.com/balanceit

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your dog was on z/d, and has food allergies, chicken may be a problem. If you use this BalanceIt site you can have them formulate a single protein, single carb diet. I had used one formulated with fish & potato years ago that saved a dog with IBD and pancreatitis. You can look at options in the home-made food search. Your vet can send the records for your dog, and they can do it that way. https://www.facebook.com/balanceit
Thank you I will have a look. Is their food expensive? Never heard of them before

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would buy a bottle of the BalanceIt, and I think it was about $35.00. It lasted over a month when feeding an 80 -lb Boxer. You also have to buy the protein, and what ever carb you use. It was lots less expensive then the allergy prescription food we tried, like Z/D and Royal Canin. You cook, or microwave the ingredients, and just mix the BalanceIt with the rest in the morning to feed for the day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try this, thank you so much.
We are back from the vet. The X-rays shows Laika’s stomach is still infected and the blood results are crazy ��������: active liver damage and pancreatitis. Tomorrow we go back for ultrasound. I cried all day long ....

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I will try this, thank you so much.
We are back from the vet. The X-rays shows Laika’s stomach is still infected and the blood results are crazy ��������: active liver damage and pancreatitis. Tomorrow we go back for ultrasound. I cried all day long ....
I am so sorry your girl is not doing well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts