Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give me any tips on introducing a boxer puppy to 2 full grown cats that have only been around dogs once in there life. I have heard diffrent things ex: keeping Loki in his crate and let the cats go to him, holding loki and let the cats smell him. I really don't know what to do. please help.  :roll:  :signhelp:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I had some ideas but I am sure that others have had to do this and they will help.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
All I can say is good luck.  I would protect Loki from the cats - your idea of letting the cat meet and smell Loki through the cage or your holding him is a good idea.  Cats can be awfully quick with the claws so I always worry about them catching a puppy in the eye.  Again, good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We tried to adopt my neighbors cat because she was SOO great with Sarah and Sarah just LOVED HER!! I tried holding Odin so that she could sniff him and wouldn't freak out by him jumping all over her wanting to play... SOOO DIDN'T WORK!! Not because of Odin but because of the cat. She charged him and tried to attack him. Her front claws were declawed but he sure didn't sound like they were!!

I tried having him in his crate... when she saw him in there she went to attack the crate! If Odin MOVED even a LITTLE BIT... she'd freak and try and claw him and the sounds she was making sounded like a "witch casting spells" LOL It was amusing to an extent at the time... I was more worried for Odin then for that cat. We tried for a weekend... but there was no way around the fact that she didn't like Odin. She was okay with Nikki... I'm ticked off over it a little cuz' I think Odin may not ever like another cat because of the way that cat was towards him.

My neighbor had 2 dogs and she didn't really like the puppy but liked the HUGE dog that was 7 yrs old. I tried the same techniques... just hope they work definitely for you!

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
This is what I tried when i brought sumya home. I put an old t- shirt in her crate for a night so she could sleep with it and her "scent" would be on it. The next day i cut a piece of the t- shirt off and got my cat some tuna water ( which she loves! you can use whatever it is your cat goes ga -ga for,) and placed the bowl on the piece of t- shirt.This way the cat(s)associate the smell of your boxer with something they like.I know it sounds crazy but it did work. You may have to do it over the span of two weeks or so.I will be honest, they are not friends in any way whatsover, but my cat did accept sumya and stopped trying to attack her.Best of luck to you, and congrats on your new baby!

·
Registered
294 Posts
We have two cats, one neutered/declawed male and one declawed female and they were our babies until we brought Beckham home.
We tried the dog in the crate, cats able to smell at their own pace.  Then tried puppy on one side of the door, cats on the other side.   They tolerated him until he started to get big, now the cats have confined themselves upstairs to the guest room (ended up having to move their food up there because they were literally starving) and won't come down unless they hear he's in his kennel.  The little female is okay with Beckham, they'll play/attack each other once in awhile.  But our big boy cat absolutely despises Beckham.  When Beckham is in his downstairs kennel and Chloe (boy cat) walks by the kennel on his way to the litter box, he'll stop and hiss and just throw a bloody fit!  We've actually considered getting rid of our cats.  But are giving them at least a year or so to adjust.  
Let us know how it all goes and we might try the tuna on the dog t-shirt thing!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Good Luck! My cats are pretty much evil and hated Buster and I think they despise Maddie even more.  They are old, 15 and 12 and pretty much set in their ways. Definitely creatures of habit. One cat will roam around while Maddie is out, but he will hiss at her. The other one is just plain old evil, will hiss and growl at Maddie and my kids. They pretty much reside upstairs and then when everyone is upstairs at night sleeping, including Maddie, they will wander downstairs. There is no happy medium with the cats. They pretty much do their own thing.  :roll:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My cat was/is my baby because i rescued him so i told my boyfriend if the boxer and cat dont get along the cat was here first. i love mav so much so i was praying they got along and Baron (cat) is really easy going for the most part. He kind of just avoided Maverick but they can be in the same room and not fight. Your puppy will probably just want to play with the cat, not harm it but the cat may feel threatened and want to attack the pup. Your ideas are very good and we used those when we introduced our pets...One more thing we did which made it easier for Baron to adjust is not allow our boxer Maverick on the furniture. I know this seems like playing favs but since Mav isnt allowed on the couches and Baron is he generally jumps up on the tables or backs of couches to get away from Mav...he doesnt feel cornered that way and so he doesnt attack.

Making a safe zone for your cats may help them feel less threatened so they dont hurt the puppies..

One more thing...dont expect them to be friends lol...Mav thinks of Baron as his best and only animal friend.... Baron finds Maverick annoying...thats been the case with most puppy/cat combos ive seen

Good luck

·
Registered
427 Posts
My cat has had some terrible encounters with dogs from when she was just a little baby and she doesn't really like the idea of any dog but it seems that as time goes by and things settle down they are learning that they can co exist and things are starting to work. When I got my boxer I knew that my cat wasn't really much for dogs but decided to give it a go because my cat is pretty independent and doesn't want much love whereas I wanted an animal that would let me hold it, kiss it, cuddle it and basically let me baby it. I brought Summer home and I knew the outcome of the situation might not be great but it only took one time for summer to lunge at the cat to play and she learned her lesson. My cat ISN'T declawed so Chloe got her right on her nose.
In the long run this is what I got.

Things are working out just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts