Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello there!

I have a problem of sorts, and I'd like some expert advice.  I have two almost 9 year old boxers (they are actually my fiancee's...I've only been with them for 2 years).  They are very loving, as boxers are.  3 days ago, we acquired a 7-week old kitten.  We have been trying to introduce them slowly, and in increments.  Beau, the male, is just fine...when Jazz (the kitten) spits, it startles him, but he is just curious.  He has made no agressive moves toward her at all.

Sydney, our female, is a different story.  she has snapped at Jazz several times through the gate that separates them.  Sydney doesn't growl, or raise her hackles.  She shakes when Jazz hisses and spits.  I'm wondering if Sydney's reactions are out of fear.  I want them all to get along, but if there's no hope, I need to find a home for the kitten.  

Jazz has her own room, and is shut in there, save for closely supervised outings to explore the house.  We have considered putting Jazz in a small crate, and letting the dogs come and smell at their leisure, but I'm afraid Sydney will snap, paw, and rumble the crate around.  Can anyone help?  Are we pushing the introduction too fast?

Thanks for listening...

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We just introduced 2 7 week old kittens to our two boxers. now our girls are 2 years and 17 weeks so they are a bit younger. One kitten was my brothers and one was ours. Our 2yr old wouldnt have anything to do with either of them, but the pup she wanted to play. both kittens would raise their hair, hiss, spit, flip out. After about 2 days though everything calmed down. our little calico that we kept gets along with the dogs, it took about a week before she would go near either of them without hissing or going nuts. hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much...

it sounds like we're just trying to introduce them too fast.  We'll get a crate for Jazz, and supervise short smelling sessions...trying to be as gradual as we can...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts