Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I went to the pound b/c I got a notification that there was a senior boxer there who was listed as Extremely Urgent. I expected to find a boy who was a mess, but instead found a real diamond in the rough! I have a terrible soft spot for senior boxers, so I just couldn't leave him there. He came home with me right before closing time yesterday, 8/29/14, and we named him Jackson! :clap:

Jackson's estimated to be 8 years old and had been picked up as a stray in an undesirable part of town 8/14/14. He has a horrendous pit ear crop, but otherwise looks great for his age and no heart problems, no lumps/bumps (per vet). He weighed 61 lb. yesterday, and the vet was very happy with his weight.

Our AC here is actually not too bad. All dogs are spayed/neutered, vetted (DHPP-upon intake, and rabies-once adopted), and bathed while there. He had very few fleas (I gave him a Capstar), and when I took him to the vet right from AC, he had no internal nasties (per fecal) - wow! He had been given a dose of Strongid while at AC, and had put on 15 pounds while there for 2 weeks!

He walks very nicely on a leash, doesn't even notice my yapper dogs, and stood very quietly for a bath and nail trim right after getting home. He's made himself quite comfortable already, snuggling into his memory foam bed. He slept in our room uncrated last night with no problems. We'll tackle crating him today to see how that goes. The prisoner at AC who took care of him told me that he took him under his wing and taught him to heel, enter his cage on command, and stay there, so I'm hoping he'll handle crating okay. The prisoner told me that he loved this dog, and you can tell Jackson had been worked with during the two weeks he was at AC.

His only issue we've seen so far, is that he has a case of stress colitis, which is why I took him to the vet right away and had a fecal test done. He pooed while I had him out in the yard at AC, and I didn't like what I saw. He's now on Metronidazole and Pro-pectalin. The vet also recommended that I feed him 4 small meals a day for awhile, rather than 2 bigger ones, so his digestive system won't be so taxed while it heals.

Jackson's Freedom Ride! 8/29/14

Chillin' at the Vet - waiting for fecal test results. Such a good boy!

Following his bath and nail trim - feeling so much better!

Worn out after a big day - sacked out on his Memory foam bed and fuzzy bed topper

·
Registered
945 Posts
He is one lucky dog! You are an amazing person for getting that senior boy. So many people would have over looked him just because of his age.

He actually looks really good. He has less gray hairs than my 6 year old boy.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is one lucky dog! You are an amazing person for getting that senior boy. So many people would have over looked him just because of his age.

He actually looks really good. He has less gray hairs than my 6 year old boy.
Yes, I figured that his age is what prevented an earlier adoption or pull by a rescue, b/c otherwise, he's so good (knock on wood it stays this way)! The vet was very impressed with his physical condition and temperament, given his age and questionable background, aside from the stress colitis - such a boxer thing!

Jackson went in his crate on command when DH and I had to go out for a bit this morning. He stands by the back door when he needs to go outside to potty. He puts up with my terror, er...terrier mix, Maddie, when she has fits of "little dog syndrome" - lol, and pays her no mind at all! He doesn't chase the little dogs out in the yard, so low prey drive, thank God!. He's eating well - he doesn't understand why he doesn't get more at a time right now - lol! Now, to just get his gut back to normal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts