Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
New to this forum and still trying to figure how it all works! Lol My boxer, Zeus, is a little over a year and I know that jumping on people with excitement is typical of boxer behavior but how can I get him to stop. He's so solid. I'm terrified that he'll knock someone over without meaning to. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
20210407_113554.jpg

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Love his face he is beautiful and welcome in. Yes a jumping dog is a PIA but it can be corrected. One thing is trying to keep him calm around people, encourage people not to make over him and turn their back to him not acknowledge him until he calms down. Sometimes it helps just to stand near the person you want him to greet properly and stand there a while until he gets to a calm state and then have them approach and pet but if he reacts go back into that calm state before allowing petting to happen if someone pets him and makes over him while he is excited and jumping its rewarding him. A lot of this is puppy excitement they usually don't start to settle down until after the age of 2 so you have a ways to go yet. Its about as hard to get people not to make over a dog you are training as it is to keep the dog from jumping so it takes time and patience. He may be big but in his mind he is still that little puppy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Awe, Zeus is adorable! Welcome to forum, just ask away and you will usually find something useful. I've only had one Boxer and I don't recall having to keep him down off people, I guess he was pretty shy in general. One of my neighbors who loved him would always play sneak up on him and he would inevitably get a nose or paw in the nards but he expected it :) Good luck, I'm sure he settle down on his own too.
Take care,
Rick

·
Super Moderator
7,106 Posts
What a good looking European boy ♥

you need to teach him “place” or place him in a crate and wait for him to calm down before allowing him out to meet people

1 - 6 of 6 Posts