Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and did not see anything come up but if there is a thread on this topic a link would be appreciated.  Cassius like most pups gets over excited when he sees other dogs.  He wants to meet and play.  If it seems the other owner is willing to try and introduce their dog we get close slowly and I make him sit.  This lasts about 1/2 a second and then he wants to play. Thing is he wants to jump up and go right into full play mode and it either scares owners or upsets the dogs.  Today I saw a really neat boxer/mastiff mix and the owner was totally alright with having the dogs meet. Cassius just would not calm down enough to have a "polite meeting" and since she as boxer/mastiff she would jump right into the playing as well.  We tried a solid 5 minutes but the dogs just wanted to be nuts. He goes to daycare and our dogwalker even brings other dogs to walk with him twice a week but still he's nutso when we meet people in the park and on the street. At obedience he wants to meet other dogs and does his whiny woowoo distracting everyone..haha.  It's a total bummer because now it's spring and there's always people with dogs at the park etc. and I feel like I have to avoid them.  With people he's great (though he does like to jump, which we are working on).

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It is very exciting when new dogs meet. If you have found a willing dog owner that would like to let your dogs meet try doing it slowly.  Have your dogs on their leashes and follow 15 feet behind each other.  Reverse and then you walk in front and they follow you.  Keep doing this until the dogs settle down.  Then you can gradually move closer together and then turn and walk the other way.  Practice this a few times.  Throw in some sits that they can handle the distance of.  This is a wonderful exercise in listening to you and for the dogs to learn self control.  Eventually you can get close and put dogs on sit.  When you do let them meet keep the leash loose and stay behind your dogs tails.  Keep it short and sweet.  If all goes well you can try it again.  If things are going well you can release the leash and let them meet on their own.  It just takes time and learning self control is a wonderful benefit to your dog.  This is how we teach in our classes and how my dogs learn to meet/not meet.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That same basic concept works for when you bring home a new addition :) Thanks for the tips you gave me Nan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts