Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just joined and would like to introduce my boy Remi.
He's 7 years old and my first Boxer. He has been an amazing companion and has helped me grow as and owner and trainer. He has a 'few' behavioral issues that has forced me to learn more then I could've ever imagined and I am eternally grateful for it.

If it worked I've included a couple pictures of him.
First is an outing at the park, second is in the backyard, and third is laying with me in bed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello! I just joined and would like to introduce my boy Remi.
He's 7 years old and my first Boxer. He has been an amazing companion and has helped me grow as and owner and trainer. He has a 'few' behavioral issues that has forced me to learn more then I could've ever imagined and I am eternally grateful for it.

If it worked I've included a couple pictures of him.
First is an outing at the park, second is in the backyard, and third is laying with me in bed.

Welcome to the forum Nea! You were talking about the behavioral issues. What was that? And why have you used muzzle on him. I don't think any kind of behavioral issue will ever get ressolved if you behave like this with your dog.
Try to love him more and he will be better with his way of living with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome aboard and I see the muzzle ... what's going on????
Remi is dog aggressive and very human selective(adults, children, elderly). In order for us to go out in public he has to be muzzled. It allows us to safely train on his issues. My area is full of off leash dogs, unruly kids, and rude adults. Even the adults will ignore me and try to pet him but then get angry when he growls and/or lunges. We are becoming better known in the area we walk though, several people now know who Rem is and to keep their distance and that they need to keep their dog leashed, even know its always been a law.

Welcome to the forum Nea! You were talking about the behavioral issues. What was that? And why have you used muzzle on him. I don't think any kind of behavioral issue will ever get ressolved if you behave like this with your dog.
As mentioned above behavioral issues as in dog aggression(DA) and human selective(HS). It used to be several other things such as resource guarding but we have worked through them. The muzzle is to prevent any bites while out training. Many behavioral issues can be resolved with a muzzle, especially aggression. It prevents biting so the behavior can be worked on without having to fear for the public's safety or your own. A muzzle is no different than head halter for example, its a tool in training it doesn't do the training for you.
Behave like what? Being responsible and preventing him from injuring the public? I dont mean to sound rude but risking the safety and lives of other animals, children, etc isn't misbehaving its being responsible.
I've loved him for 7 years so far(he turned 7 in August), love doesn't train a dog. I wish it was that simple but it isn't. He has no issue with me, the other dog he lives with, multiple other 'dog friends', the cats, and the people that regularly come in and out of our home. All due to training, sure love was involved it'd have to be after 7 years almost constant training. Love doesn't change genetics either and the trainer we work with (30+ years experience) strongly believes a large part of his issues are genetic and so do I.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Thank you for the welcome!

Remi is dog aggressive and very human selective(adults, children, elderly). In order for us to go out in public he has to be muzzled. It allows us to safely train on his issues. My area is full of off leash dogs, unruly kids, and rude adults. Even the adults will ignore me and try to pet him but then get angry when he growls and/or lunges. We are becoming better known in the area we walk though, several people now know who Rem is and to keep their distance and that they need to keep their dog leashed, even know its always been a law.
Oh .... a "Bubble Dog!" IE ... a dog that needs to be muzzled for a time to be "Safe in Public!" I "had" one ... 116 lbs of Over Size WL GSD ... with, "people and pack issues."

I am not a "Pro" but I learned many things in my "Epic Journey" with Rocky. Lessons I apply in rescue work to this day. Lesson one with "his" pack fight battles with my American Band Dawg (and Rocky always started them) you get "nowhere" fighting with your dog ... accept maybe a trip to the ER for stitches!! :(

Good times, Good Times but lesson learned. ROund two the "H/A" thing ... I stopped "fighting him" and started out thinking him! That worked much better! He never got a single correction hufor untowards actions towards a stranger!!

If he did not much care for people ... fine, he did not have to. A dog has no requirement to like "strangers." They do have a requirement to be civil with other dogs and strangers in public! It's the dog's job to do "Nothing" when confronted with "triggers" it was my job to keep triggers out of his face until he learns to "Deal with them!"

I made good choices for him, he learned to trust me. No treats, no distractions, no artificial pressures, just the real world. Worked out fine.

Oh well ... if you want to better understand how I work ... well you can start here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/202025-boswell-16-wks-fearful.html

Basics are already there. And for the longer "Bubble Dog" back story ... here you go.:

Breed differences in "socialization" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Ask questions and again welcome aboard. :)

As mentioned above behavioral issues as in dog aggression(DA) and human selective(HS). It used to be several other things such as resource guarding but we have worked through them. The muzzle is to prevent any bites while out training. Many behavioral issues can be resolved with a muzzle, especially aggression. It prevents biting so the behavior can be worked on without having to fear for the public's safety or your own. A muzzle is no different than head halter for example, its a tool in training it doesn't do the training for you.
Behave like what? Being responsible and preventing him from injuring the public? I dont mean to sound rude but risking the safety and lives of other animals, children, etc isn't misbehaving its being responsible.
I've loved him for 7 years so far(he turned 7 in August), love doesn't train a dog. I wish it was that simple but it isn't. He has no issue with me, the other dog he lives with, multiple other 'dog friends', the cats, and the people that regularly come in and out of our home. All due to training, sure love was involved it'd have to be after 7 years almost constant training. Love doesn't change genetics either and the trainer we work with (30+ years experience) strongly believes a large part of his issues are genetic and so do I.
Hmmm well said ... I got nothing to add here. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
You obviously have never dealt with a dog who is reactive. I hate to tell you but loving them more isn't going to fix the issue.

It's clear the muzzle is for his safety and others.

A muzzle is a great training tool when needed.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
You obviously have never dealt with a dog who is reactive. I hate to tell you but loving them more isn't going to fix the issue.

It's clear the muzzle is for his safety and others.

A muzzle is a great training tool when needed.
Yep ... been there done that and my goal was to be able to Rocky in public w/o the muzzle. And we got'er done. But it was a "process" and I used a muzzle for a time because ... I was not sure that if he went over the top ... I'd not be quick enough to turn into him??? So ... muzzle it was!!

And after many, many, miles weeks and months of one on walks together, while finding people to ignore ... he finally got it and I understood what he looked like when he was "fine" with the "No Stranger Contact." And I dropped the use of the muzzle.

He did get to interact freely with many, many strangers. But he was not a "Struddell" and every encounter was a "negotiation" and "No one touched him" without getting past me! Ultimately, he was actually one of the Vet's best client's!! A lot of GSD's don't do to well at Vet office! Muzzles for everybody!!!

But ... while he was no longer a "burden" he was a responsibility! I said a life time of "No sorry, he's in training." And he was ... he was being trained "not to bite the crap out of people." :chair:

But back on pointe ... the muzzle is just a tool, it helps both the dog and the owner to relax. The owner can relax because the dog can't bite and the dog is less likely to act a fool because he can't bite. From there it's up to the owner to keep undue pressure from strangers off the dog. Show them what you want and how you expect them to behave.

I "proofed" that one "unexpectedly with a "toddler!" And Rocky ...under carefully controlled conditions had shown ... he was not a fan of "toddlers!"
Still under the best of circumstances ... "Crap Happens???" And the best preparation for the unexpected ... is a well trained dog, worked out fine ...but that's another story.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh .... a "Bubble Dog!" IE ... a dog that needs to be muzzled for a time to be "Safe in Public!" I "had" one ... 116 lbs of Over Size WL GSD ... with, "people and pack issues."

I am not a "Pro" but I learned many things in my "Epic Journey" with Rocky. Lessons I apply in rescue work to this day. Lesson one with "his" pack fight battles with my American Band Dawg (and Rocky always started them) you get "nowhere" fighting with your dog ... accept maybe a trip to the ER for stitches!! :(

Good times, Good Times but lesson learned. ROund two the "H/A" thing ... I stopped "fighting him" and started out thinking him! That worked much better! He never got a single correction hufor untowards actions towards a stranger!!

If he did not much care for people ... fine, he did not have to. A dog has no requirement to like "strangers." They do have a requirement to be civil with other dogs and strangers in public! It's the dog's job to do "Nothing" when confronted with "triggers" it was my job to keep triggers out of his face until he learns to "Deal with them!"

I made good choices for him, he learned to trust me. No treats, no distractions, no artificial pressures, just the real world. Worked out fine.

Oh well ... if you want to better understand how I work ... well you can start here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/welcome-boxer-forums/202025-boswell-16-wks-fearful.html

Basics are already there. And for the longer "Bubble Dog" back story ... here you go.:

Breed differences in "socialization" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Ask questions and again welcome aboard. :)
Haha yeah a bubble dog, I haven't heard that term before!

We've been working along side an experienced trainer off and on for years and have made great success. He will ignore stimulation for the most part until his threshold is broken, then its a fight to get his attention back. Just being able to be around other dogs though is impressive considering where Rem started.

Rem is food motivated and food motivated only. Praise, toys, etc mean nothing to him. Letting him explode any time he sees a trigger didn't work him, just made things worse.

I'll give it a look if I have the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts