Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to take this time to introduce my boy Loki. He is a gentle giant if I have ever seen one, he was the easiest puppy and is now an easy old man. He is 7 years old, flashy fawn in color and just like one of our kids. We have two children 9 and 5 and he loves them to death, very protective of them. We also have a Savannah cat that he cuddles with regularly lol. We are thinking of brining in another boxer because we love the breed and to give our old man some more companionship. He loves puppies and is such a gentle giant with them. We are not sure if we should bring in a male or female and was wondering if anyone can maybe give some insight on what is best? 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg I have researched so much info that I really have no idea lol 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg 20161003_172742_1537803130941.jpg

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Male/female as long as neutered won't matter. Two females is another story. Females are more dominant and controlling which is why two even spayed are at risk for not getting along. I have 4 dogs, not all boxer,,3 males and 1 female. The female is a terrier a rules the roost.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks that what we thought, we have actually decided to get another male, my boy does so good with other dogs that I don't think I will have any problems, he always plays the submissive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He's so beautiful! I think you're m/f question has been answered well. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
My boy had his first seizure 2 nights ago I'm so worried I've had boxers before but never had this happen, the vet said it's common in older boxers to have brain tumors that cause seizures, has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
My baby has had his second seizure in less then a week im so scared I love my old man so much

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm so sorry to hear about what is happening to your fur baby, my boy hasn't had any sort of health issues but when he was young and now that he is my old man, so I can't be any help or offer insight into his seizures, I can just send u some hugs.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Awesome thanks that what we thought, we have actually decided to get another male, my boy does so good with other dogs that I don't think I will have any problems, he always plays the submissive.
We have 3 males. Two are litter mates and we added the puppy in May 2017. Males work best for us, we didn't want a female (even a puppy) to come in and take over. Per my reading and people I've talked to, the females of the breed tend to want to be in charge....

Our older boys were about 3.5 years-old when we got the puppy and things have gone well.

Let us know how it goes and share photos if you can.

·
Registered
634 Posts
My boy had his first seizure 2 nights ago I'm so worried I've had boxers before but never had this happen, the vet said it's common in older boxers to have brain tumors that cause seizures, has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry to hear this, your baby looks like my baby Jax. I'd recommend starting a new thread on the topic and you may get more feedback. There are many on here who have had something similar happen for various reasons.
I wish you both well and hope it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Aww well ... I gots to defend the girls! As you know they don't like being "Pigeon Holed." :)

But first in a Boxer only household ... it best to have only "One Female" Boxer! A different Breed maybe, but the other female had most likely "not" be a "herder dog" of any type???

Beyond that ...yeah the girls can be kinda "pushy" in the home it's ... kinda like "I duz what I want and I set the terms!" If you have confident male dogs they don't seem to mind the "pushy??" But I saw that only seemed to happen at home?? When we were out and about my "Struddell" deferred to her male buddies???

I saw that happen one time ... when some piece of crap little dog got in my "formerly Dog Aggressive" Band Dawgs face!!! He had slipped past me and went in our yard! I heard the yapping and went to see what was up??? And I saw the dog about three feet from Gunther's face barking at him! Gunther was still and staring hard and looked at me to deal with the crap???

Ok then ... and that is when I noticed holding station right on Gunther's flank, looking to him as to how to deal with this crap??? OMG, I said "Stay" and swiftly got that dog out of there face! That was the luckiest dog in "Dayton" on that day! If Gunther had moved on him, Struddell would have backed him up! And they'd have done that dog in half in short order ... so yeah problem solved. :9

But she did not ... outside Gunther sit the conditions and she followed his lead, worked out fine.:)

Now the dark side of females ... yeah I've seen that also! The first time was the baby kittens being born "incident." I messed up, both dogs were in the room with me watching and I was between them as we observed the births. Struddell watched in silence, quietly at each new brith. Gunther did not move but hey this was a pretty cool thing right here, so he greeted each new birth with a bark and excitement ... no big deal ... I thought???

But Struddell ...uh no! She apparently felt that Gunther should show more "Respect!" And if ... "Daddy" was not gonna do something about him?? Then she would!! From a down ... she cleared me in one five foot bound and tore into Gunther and got him by the nose??? Gunther ... knew this was "Daddy's girl" ad he wanted no part of this particular madness?? So he was quickly .. outta here! Let Daddy deal!

So I did ... and Gunther leaving the scene of the crap ... was not enough?? She was ... just "Gone??" A blind hot rage still remained??? She just supn and barked and barked and snappend and barked!! Totally out of freaking control, insane???

I had to scoop her up in a head lock and hold tight to keep from getting bit!! And took her outside ... and she had still not chilled out??? I could not let her go like this as I was worried she bash into something in a blind rage??? So I still held her tight and layed down on her till she chilled out!! After a minute or two (seemed like forever. I felt her relax and let her up?? And she pops up with a big smile on her face like "hey dad what's up??" :)

The next time that happened ... the blind rage thing was I do believe was my friends fault?? We went away and left him in charge of our dogs ... over my objections but he was our room mate also so no big deal??

I don't know what he did but this time it was a "Pig Ear" incident. Struddell, had hers and Gunther wanted it so he went to take hers has he'd done many times in the past (my bad I suppose) but this time ... "Struddell" was not having it! Gunther took the Pig Ear and it was "game On!" Sigh here we go again ... same old same old, Blind Rage, Head Lock and Lay on her till she chilled ... she poops up big smile and what's up Dad??

Now I will grant that in both incidents it was "poor choices" on my part that lead to the craziness?? But her responses were totally off the hook?? And out of the "Blue" as it were?? It happened only twice in her 10 years and aside from that, she was a post child for a perfect Boxer Citizen???

But if she lost it .... I'd never seen anything like that??? "Blind Freaking Rage" and that is why ... "Boxer Rescue Policy" is one female Boxer only in the household if you want one of our dogs! I did not have that situation myself ... I only got to see the "Blind Rage."

And you know despite her display, of uh ...temporary insanity, my next Boxer is gonna be a female, I like the girls. :)

But the OP just has a male so they are safe to chose either sex??? So this is just a heads up ... most likely if one does not have there dogs involved with "Baby Kittens" being born and don't allow treat taking .... they will not see the "Rage" thing with there girls???

It takes the right combination of the wrong things ... to trigger that "Rage??" But it is there ... most likely in all the girls?? I don't know, aww well most likely it's just a twice in a lifetime thing?? Still I saw it so know I know. I had always been a male dog guy but I got Struddell cuz all the boys were gone??? I do remember "reading that the females Boxers were ... different, whatever. :)

But no regrets ... I like the girls! It's just that as the saying goes "Don't make me angry, you won't like me if I'm angry!" So yeah believe that!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I
ve also heard that girl boxers are bossy. I've had girl rottweillers and shepherds with no problem. Chip how many boxers have you had and were they all girls that exhibited this behavior. Ix it just a boxer thing?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
I
ve also heard that girl boxers are bossy. I've had girl rottweillers and shepherds with no problem. Chip how many boxers have you had and were they all girls that exhibited this behavior. Ix it just a boxer thing?
Well technically two both girls but funically only one.
Heidi was our first Boxer puppy a Brindle (8 weeks) ... but we only had her for a week! But ... she had Parvo when we got her! It was found by the vet the morning at her first check up. We "Chose" to keep her and fight ... we lost. Vet during the day and home at night, I administered IV fluids and we dropped her off at the vets for the day. She lasted a week and died in my arms. :(

We had to wait a year before trying again because in theory our yard and house was contained with the virus?? Except it was not ... weak as she was Heidi in doors always went on newspaper and outside she would always go to the same spot to potty. She was a little trooper but to small and weak to survive the virus ... she would have been a great Dog! We found out later her brother did survive but he was stronger than Heidi. So that was my introduction to what I term the Heartbreak Breed. :(

And then came Struddell! LOL and yep I lot a lot from a few! And although, it pains me to say it ... I seem to be more of a "Behaviorist" than a "Dog Trainer" sigh my "baggage to carry" for now ... when I can train the "heel flip" I'll change my title but I digress.

First though I would to say ... yes the girls are "bossy." No doubt on that one but as I said with "confident males" they don't seem to mind?? My serious send me to the ER for stitches (breaking up Pack Fights) between my male Band Dawg and my Wl GSD were pretty much due to lack of structure, rules and limitations.

Gunther and Struddell were fine but my Working Line Over Size GSD "needed more" structure, more rules and limitations, in the home and I was slow on the uptake??? Rocky GSD ...'always started that crap!!" And there was no mystery in seeing that crap coming! But the "I dare you to try it approach" ... did not work out to well??? I was fast but Rocky (GSD) was faster! And Struddell ...never got involved in any of that crap ... Boys will be boys is how she rolled. But the males in retro spec ... with experience, one could see that crap coming a mile away ... I did myself ... I just took the approach to solve it, ... live and learn. But nothing like stitches to "clarify one's thinking. :)

I"ll go on but first I want to say for the "girl owners among us," ... I'm not suggesting that one has to sleep with one eye open if they have a girl?? It does not really work like that?? My Struddell was a "perfect dog" as regards temperament, and there are lot's of Boxer's, just like her on here. She did get along great with other dogs (on the rare occasions) I allowed that, and of course she luv'd people, kids and company! Nothing to think about! She would have nailed the Good Canine citizen, test if I'd have bothered to do it ... no doubt.

But Struddells, "temporary madness???" Nope ... there was "nothing to read??" I don't care what ones level of skill or experience was ... you not have seen the madness coming??? The pig ear thing ... I truly believe my friend caused that crap?? But it was something that they had done for years ... no big deal, until it was??? Gunther took her treat ... as he had done in the past and this time ... she exploded!!??? Sigh ...here we go again???

And I dealt with it as I saw fit, no harm no foul no big deal ...but you know ... Wth??? I stopped the treat taking forever more after that one. Which would be standard practice for a head's up owner in anycase. :)

And the baby kittens being born thing?? Yeah well that is pretty hard to duplicate??? WH does that and who would know?? But again Gunther's" lack of respect" was an issue for Struddell that I was not aware of??? My dogs were, separated and Struddell watched the births in silence and Gunther was "excited" by each new kitten arrival. Most likely had I been watching her ... I'd have seen her eyes glaze over or something but I was not???

The only thing I was aware of was a loud roar of pure rage and Gunther's cry as she leaped over me in a single bound and she was on him!! I had to ripp her off him and deal with as I saw fit. And releasing her as she was ...was not an option?? She was "insane??" And she would have hurt herself! It worked out fine and aside from those two incidents ... I never saw that behaviour again???

Now the "Pig Ear" bit, although it took years for it to be a issues ... was a pretty obvious potential issue?? Most likely that was just a matter of time?? But the baby kittens, who'd have seen that coming??

But I saw the "Rage" in my girl?? And rest assured that if anyone here would have met her ... they would have sworn ... that with that dog??? "No" that can't true???

But the "rage" is there most likely in all the girls?? I don't know?? But it takes particular circumstances "which stumbled into" to trigger it. But "Boxer Rescues" have seen it also and they don't go into details ... "they just state as policy" No second female Boxer into homes that already have a female Boxer! And now people know why.

And rest assured, the average Boxer owner ... (which I was) would not be able to stop it! As Boxer owners just by nature tend to have pretty, lose structure in there homes?? Most likely there dogs are not crate trained, they sleep in the Bed, they are on the furniture and they free roam in the home while the owner is away??

Show me an owner "struggling with a dog with issues" and you will find they are all doing those things, happens all the time. :(

But the "Boxer Rage" thing ... by and large, I would say that most female Boxer owners, will never see it??? It takes a "particular set of circumstances" to trigger it???

Most likely ...if one wanted to see??? Just get another girl ... and let us know how it works out??? I would dare say you won't get the posturing and crap that males do ... pretty much every freaking time!!! Nope ... if female A decides one day she doesn't like female B??? It will be a "blitzkrieg" attack ... out of the blue?? There will be no warning!!

I luv the girls and as you know a female will be my next Boxer. And most likely, yeah I could do two female?? But I don't need the hassle, so for me the next female will be a Boxer and as the saying goes ... there can be only "ONE." Nuff said. Wow ...well this was long?? I guess ... I'm still doing that ... it would seem. :)

Oh well girls rule ... I like dogs with "tude" as it were. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts