Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fredo is going to be 6 months old on Saturday and he's only 46 lbs.  Is this a normal size for a 6 month old? It seems like he just stoped gaining weight. He has also had loose stool on and off for like...forever. Originally it was due to giardia and coccidia, however his last stool sample came out negative, so now i'm really confused. He has not eaten anything out of the ordinary either. He's also getting neutered tomorrow, but maybe I should wait until he's grown a bit more? I heard that getting them netuered at an early age will stunt their growth.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah weighed 52 lbs at 8.5 months.  Loose stool could be from his food, treats or something that he is allergic too.  Kiah had loose stool on Canidae, Solid Gold and Timberwolf; now that I have her on a different food she is doing fine.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Luther got the snip and he is still growing like mad.  he is 9 months old and about 66 pounds.  I do not think getting the dog fixed does anything to growth.  then again, i am no vet, so who knows..  Just my .02.

When Luther was 6 months old, he was 58 pounds...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looks like Luther is on the bigger side of the spectrum...  I am guessing he is going to be about 80lbs like his dog dad...
Like his daddy...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
46 lbs. for a 6 month old sounds normal to me. If there is anything normal about weight and age!  :lol:  How does he look? As long as there are no hip bones or spine visible, he should be just fine. It is normal to see a couple of ribs. The vet can help you in the decision to have him neutered tomorrow. They should run some tests first to see if he is healthy enough to go through the procedure.
No...neutering at an early age does not stunt their growth. I don't even consider 6 months an early age. But that is just me!
If Fredo does have the op done tomorrow, Good Luck! I'm sure he will be just fine!  :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
hahaha, my 16 month old doesn't even weigh that much...38lbs. each will have their own rate of growth, just as long as that spinal cord is not showing!

G

·
0 Posts
I only hope that Jetta is 46 pounds at 6 months lol...she is just barely 20 at 4 months...but she looks good and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoos is about 55 pounds at almost nine months. He had loose stool until i fed him Merrick Wild. Now he's filling out really well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really dont think there is a specific weight that is associated with age in animals. Pretty much DNA controls all of that, but as long as your dog is healthy then I dont believe it's a big deal. Boss is gonna be 7 months in a few weeks and he is already 74lbs, but he might just have the best of both worlds genetically since he's mixed with boxer and american bulldog. He's actually 1 inch taller than his dad who is 6 years old but there's no guessing how much a dog will weigh. Just keep them healthy and mother nature will run her course.

I haven't posted boss in a while so heres my most recent pic of him.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I don't think you can go strickly off the weight. Like most people are very alarmed when I say Kaci weighs 35lbs if they don't know her actual size. 46lbs would be way skinny for a dog that was 24" and way too big on a dog that was only 19".

Like tootsie said, as long as you can't see all his ribs and/or spine, he's just fine.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well you can kind of see his ribs, but definetly not his spine or anything ...I just wonder if he's stoped growing, but then again he is only 6 months so probably not.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
FREDOSMOM\";p=\"48783 said:
Well you can kind of see his ribs, but definetly not his spine or anything ...I just wonder if he's stoped growing, but then again he is only 6 months so probably not.
at 6 months, he's far from done growing. Boxers grow until they're around 3 years old. Boxers are lean dogs, so you'll probably be able to see a couple of ribs, the problem is when you can see almost all this ribs. If you think he's too lean, take him to the vet to be checked for worms, or start feeding him an adult dog food for high active dogs. If Milo doesn't eat dog food that is for high activity dogs, he'll look like we're starving him...he just needs the extra fat (or whatever).

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"48754 said:
he looks very boxery!

yeah he does look very boxery!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts