Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this question out there for some opinions!

I don't remember people having crates or keeping their dogs in crates when I was growing up, but it seems to have become the thing to do, at least in North America.

Boswell has a crate, and he will go in there to sleep at night, but he gets very agitated if we lock him in. I have tried all the 'gentle' crate training techniques, and there is some marginal progress, but it is very, very, slow... do I just keep at it, gradually extending the amount of time he's in there? The one thing I can't do is leave him in there to 'cry it out', as it were.

He has to be alone in the house two or three times a week for a 4-5 hour stretch for my work, and then occasionally for an hour or two when I'm out doing errands. Up to now, we have been limiting him to a couple of rooms, and he has just slept. He has not been destructive, and he doesn't seem to exhibit any separation anxiety.

I guess what I am asking is, in our situation, do I NEED to crate him when we're out, if he can be trusted alone in the house? Are we being irresponsible, or letting him get away with something here?

I've heard crating dogs for extended periods is illegal in Finland -- I wonder what people do there?

Just wondering how you guys handle leaving your boxers home alone, if you need to. cheers

He is 17 weeks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I put Willow in her crate during the day when I'm working and at night since the cats rule our bed already.
If I could trust her to not destroy anything in the house and not chase the cats I'd leave her out, but we aren't so lucky! When she was tiny she escaped the crate a couple times and didn't destroy anything, but now that she's a lot bigger I'm worried more about the cat chasing than the destruction. So she'll most likely always be crated until we can train her more around not chasing the cats. We'll see!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Kai is now 3 we still use his crate though lately not as often. He for theist year basically slept in it at high or if we were gone for an extended amount of time (near more than 4 hours though). Now during the day he is just loose in the house as he has his own toys, isn't destructive and mostly sleeps. He also has a bed in y daughters room where lately he is sleeping at night. We still periodically let him sleep overnight in his crate just to keep him use to it in the event there is ever an emergency. We used the crate as it initially helped with housebreaking, calmness, learning to be alone even if he saw us moving about the house, and for safety that he didn't get into something that could harm him end to not destroy my house too.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can't leave Talos out of my sight. I can't go to the kitchen (the next room over) to get a glass of water without him getting into something. He's recently discovered where the tags are under the cushions of my couch. So the answer for me... if he can not be seen or in the same room with his people he's in the crate.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Most likely ... this is a much broader question then you realized??? I also did not use a Crate with my first dog uh ... "Chip" (Basenji Mix) in the 60's. He was a great dog ... if you uh over looked the H/A, D/A could not be contained in an open pen with a 17 foot chain length fence ... I uh ... taught him that one ... my bad.

But worked out well he lived to be 17 or 18 years old ... he was a cool dog but I digress. So no I used no crate back then and used no crate in 2000 with Gunther, or Stewie 2001 or Struddell 2003. And I used no crate with my first WL GSD Rocky in 2007 ... and that was a "mistake!" A crate as I understand "now" is not simply about keeping the dog form tearing up crap when left home alone. It is also about establishing ...Rules/Structure and Limitations! Some dogs are more in need of that then others.

If you get "everything" right ... then yes ... you don't need to use a Crate. But "everything right" is kinda vague??? So simpler would be to feed the puppy in the Crate only. At first put the food in the Crate and he only eats in the Crate. Put the food in there and give him 15 minutes to eat or not?? If he does not eat put the food up and try again at next meal time. Get that accomplished "first" then try closing the door?? If he then protest at door close ... same deal. Fine open the door and take the food away ... he will "figure it out."

And/or ... use an Ex-Pen .... https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-exercise-pen-step-through/dp/125048?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Frisco&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgIPOBRDnARIsAHA1X3QBL9zzJ_HGbDl6Fm9ViL7m--5ovEsT7K6JVOCVCt1n18q2QleKOtUaAlRKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's a puppy so you can't allow him free rein in the home out the gate, as it were. You're gonna have to restrict his access in some manner to the whole of the home anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I wouldn't say it is essential but I think its a good idea to get the pup crate trained. I rarely use it, but my guy is crate trained.

Also might be some issues that arise where a dog might have to go in a crate, traveling, vet, etc.. and you wouldn't want the dog stressed because they have never been in a crate before.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Think is ... if you get stuff right in the beginning ... crating at the vet ... is just not gonna be an issue as I've seen???

When I got my dogs fixed ... they had to be crated. I was able to say to them I'll be back and they were fine with that. The Vet's never reported that they had any issues with them in the crate. They seemed to just think ... this is just one of those things Dad does ... no big deal. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I personally Crate train. Some don't and that's ok too.
Since I crate train here are my reasons why I choose to crate train.
My dog feels safe
My dog is safe (can't choke on anything)
My House is safe (My Bernese Mountain dog was a home renovater, she'd eat walls and ate my entrance floor once which we had to change)
IMO makes potty training so so much easier and quicker.
They have a safe place to go when they aren't feeling so well or need peace. when my pup or dog is in the crate no one is allowed disturbs them, we call them out instead if needed as I want them to know they can retreat there.
If they ever need to be kenneled for either boarding or flight or anyother reason well, it's a little easier on them.
I never use the crate as time out though and when I'm home I don'T need it.

As I said some use the crate others prefer not to so it comes down to a very personal decision.

·
Registered
287 Posts
In the UK some dog sitters will only take the dogs for vacation breaks if they are crate trained. These are the professional dog sitters that have the dogs in their home and take in other dogs.

also if your dog has to go to the vet then they will be put in a crate while they are being observed, so its best to get your dog used to it.

I use the crate still for my 3 year old when she is dirty from running in the mud, and to keep her crate trained. I also think it calms her down and she just "checks out".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts