Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I work all day and there really is no one to come let Stella out of her crate. I want to crate train her, but after reading the sticky, I am having second thoughts. I don't think she should by confined to her crate for 9 hours a day as she will learn to resent the crate. I was thinking of putting her in the spare bathroom all day while we are not there. I found an article online when I did a search for 'houstraining for working parents".

[i:d5mtjk9t]"If none of those options is available, you must reconcile yourself to not having your puppy trained to potty exclusively outdoors

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I may look into a walker, but I don't know if there are any around here? How long would we need to use the dog walker (if I can find one).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Our two are crate trained.  Both were put in there crate from the get-go.  Both me and the wife work.  The dogs are in there crates from 7-12:10 or so.  I let them out on my lunch break for about 30-40 minutes to run, potty, etc.  Back in there crates from around 12:50-5.  Let them out to potty and a few nights a week we leave again to work out.  But, most weekends and weeknights after say 6 there out.  I try to include them in as much as possible!  I would at least crate train until there housebroken and out of the chewing phase.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I personally think it's cruel to make any dog hold it for 9 hours straight, puppy or adult.  But a puppy especially....they can't physically hold it for that long, so you're making them sit in their own filth really for no reason.  I agree a dog walker or daycare would be helpful.  The empty room/bathroom works for many people, it can prolong the housetraining process but eventually she will get it as long as you work on it when you are home.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you both. I called around to some sitters / walkers, but they are all in Charlotte, which is 30 minutes away. It would be prohibitively exspensive to have someone come walk her everyday. I suppose we'll have to use the above listed method for a while. Probably the kitchen would be best. There is nothing in there for her to get into trouble with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about a family friend or a dog loving neighbour? There is always a solution. You simply cannot leave a puppy for that long in a crate. His body has not developed enough to hold it over extended periods of time, from what I read they will not go potty where they rest, so leaving them there would mean them possible sitting in their own mess and going against this instinct, I guess you should avoid this at all costs. Im no dog expert though just a lover :)

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just want to know..is it unusual for an almost 5 month old pup to be ABLE to hold it for 8-9 hours?? Just asking, as I have had to crate Ashley for that length a couple times..and she never went at all..I feel AWFULL doing that, but it happens somedays...Maybe she has the bladder of a horse..:)
She also seems to be able to hold it longer at night ( a true blessing )..Hmmm anyone have an information?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
It can work for you.

My b/f and I don't use a crate for Tango.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Rocky is crated during the day.  He usually is in from 8:45-12 then 1-5.  He used to have to sleep in there at night too but I convinced the bf to let him sleep outside the crate at night.  It seemed to me that he was starting to act out from being in there to much.  We've been using a crate from day 1.  I don't think a puppy should be left in a crate for nine hours though.  I agree with finding someone to walk them or a doggy daycare.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I sat up a bathroom with newspaper while Britney was young and it worked fine. Every week would pass she would get better and better. She also seemed to understand the rest of the house was not considered a place she could go the bathroom. I was worried at first that if she goes in the bathroom it would confuse her and she would go potty in the house. However, this was NOT the case at all. She seemed to understand the difference. The key was keeping consitant with her potty training during the time we were home. That means taking them out every time after eating and every 30 min. or so. This way they understand and don't get confused. At least with Britney she seemed to catch on very fast.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
If no one is available to let her out during this time the method you described will work.  It will take a little longer to potty train due to the confusion over being allowed to go in the house but if you keep her in a certain area that you can clean up well with Natures Miracle or something similar you will eventually get there.  I wouldn't leave a dog in a crate that long on a daily basis.

Nano

·
Registered
761 Posts
The method you described sounds like the winner for you.  We crate our boy but only for 4-5 hours at a time, he's almost 9 months old and I've read that he could probably hold it for much longer than 5 hours but we don't want to force it.  When we rescued him he hadn't been crate trained, he'd been tied to a door knob and left for 8-9 hours a day.  I think compared to that his crate was a luxury so we had no trouble getting him used to it.  In only a few weeks it's become his own place and in the evening or on weekends when he's tired that's where he goes to nap.  We keep the crate in the living room where we spend most of our time when at home so he still feels like he's in the middle of the action when he rests in there and it helped to make it comfortable for him.  I must also mention that we got talked into the XL crate which gives hem TONS of room, it has a divider wall so you can start it smaller to help with potty training but he's been fine so we took it out.  Come to think of it, I bet if I did a size ratio of him to his crate and me to my cubicle he probably has more space than I do.   Good luck with whatever route you choose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She is doing OK. She's in her crate longer than I'd like, but she seems just fine and NEVER potties in the crate. Soon we'll try leaving her out during the day and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We have Tyson crate trained.  He is in there during the work day (gets let out during lunch), and he also sleeps in his crate all night.  We put him to bed when we go to bed, and don't hear from him til the morning.  We sometimes even have to wake him up!  We have been doing that with him since he was a little puppy.  He is really good about it.  Never whines or barks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts