Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have progressive insurance for our cars and our home insurance...We are very happy with them...well before I got married, I was with State Farm...nothing bad about them...but while looking over our policy I notice that I have a 500.00 free of charge Pet Policy so if Lette is killed or injured in a car accident or a house accident, I have her covered...regardless of the fact that she is worth 180000000000000000000000000000000 times more than that, I was pleased to know that they do this for pet owners!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My insurance co (Farmer's) is talking about doing that as well...Was talking to my agent a couple months ago and she was the one who told me about it as she knows I have dogs..It isn't a done deal yet, but she is going to keep me posted, so I don't know a lot of details

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yeah Progressive has a tv commercial they run specifically for coverage of your dog while in the car.  I don't think they are in MA yet, so for now my car insurance for the pup is a seatbelt!  (No matter how much abuse my friends give me for that one)

G

·
0 Posts
Yea I think I remember seeing that on ours.  We have progressive.  

Its ok Sully.  Binga and Bear get their seatbelts too   :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it matter if the 500 covers all the injuries, noooo lol its the fact that it is an added feature that we dont pay for...and just to know we get something if she is injured/killed makes me feel good about progressive, the fact that they know people consider their pets as their kids...

Lette starts with a seatbelt then crawls out and lays down in the back seat...how do yall keep them in their seatbelts???

G

·
0 Posts
I agree with you.  I was very happy when I saw it on there.  Must be a pet lover that works there   :)  

Do you have the seatbelt that is made for dogs?  Its more like a harness.  It fits on them really snug, but there is a loop in the back that the car seatbelt goes through.  You just strap them in the seat that way.  Binga can barely move, but I would rather that than if I got in an accident her being loose in the car.  She can wriggle around and lay down, but thats about it.

There is also a metal hoop you can hook a leash to.  So if you are on a trip you don't have to keep taking that thing off and on if you get out of the car.  It was a good purchase I think

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where can I get one of those seatbets...she esp needs it for the summer time when I take the top off my jeep...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
We have USAA for or home, cars... everything. I've been told they also do the same thing! I keep wanting to call but I keep getting sidetracked... I think I might do that today!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you find out about USAA let me know...I have been trying to get my husband to call and check the rates with them to see if it is any lower.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Adam and Duke got into an accident last fall....and I was talking to my progressive insurance agent and she asked...was anyone in the car with Adam at the time of the accident...I said yes my dog Duke does that count? She said no, so I said you guys should cover dogs ha ha.  Just joking  you know...a couple months later I saw that commercial on the tv.  So I told Adam it was my idea.  

HEE HEE I'm sure it wasn't.  But I am glad they will cover my babies if something were to happen again.  Lord I hope not, Duke still is a little funny about the car.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LETTE\";p=\"103317 said:
If you find out about USAA let me know...I have been trying to get my husband to call and check the rates with them to see if it is any lower.
Will do! OMG! USAA is awesome! They're rates ARE lower... even knowing that they don't advertise makes you think that they SHOULD BE lower. When we went through them to get the house they sent us a check for $2300 for using them so much (as a thank you)... from having a bank account... both car loans... car insurance for both... renters insurance and now home owners insurance... etc. They love us! LOL And we've had to make claims on our vehicles and property about 5 different times since 2003... not our faults (weather and stupid people)... and they've always taken care of everything quickly and would send people out to our house or where ever to asses the cars... they haven't even checked out our cars when we purchased them to make sure everything is okay (if that makes sense) meaning that some people purchase a car with damage and then later claim it... some places want to check out the car to see. We live by USAA obviously... but they are awesome! They run out of SA... have you seen they're headquaters?? It's MASSIVE!!! On acres of land! Unbelievable!

***My husband's philosophy is that... the more commercials you see for a company, the more expensive they are... he finds the Geico commercials annoying but he says they must be the MOST expensive of all... lol. He says USAA doesn't advertise... so no money goes into that... which means they are cheaper.*** Though I know many people can't get USAA... more than in the past but it's not open to the public.

LOL Anyway... I'll let you know!  :D

G

·
0 Posts
LETTE\";p=\"103294 said:
Where can I get one of those seatbets...she esp needs it for the summer time when I take the top off my jeep...
I got Binga's at Petco or Petsmart.  Can't remember which one.  Its pretty much a black harness, but with wider straps...   like seatbelt straps.  It was around 20 bucks I think.  Worth it though   :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have them for our car notes...and will use them when we purchase our next home...so i always tell him we my as well use them for insurance purposes, but he never wants to call and get rates but if they do the dog insurance i will def switch

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"103318":es2wfdw4]Adam and Duke got into an accident last fall....and I was talking to my progressive insurance agent and she asked...was anyone in the car with Adam at the time of the accident...I said yes my dog Duke does that count? She said no, so I said you guys should cover dogs ha ha.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I sell insurance and we carry Progressive, it's a good thing to have pet insurance, but I want to see how bad it's abused.  You'll have people taking there pet to see the vet and turning in bills over a fender bender where nobody was injured.  I can tell you that here in Tennessee, Progressive is not that competitive as far as rates go.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Okay soooo hubby's thoughts on this are... and once I get done with all the house stuff I'm going to call USAA and talk to them.

Hubby's thoughts...

A dog is actually considered personal property (legally). Same as a laptop (of course dog lovers disagree but that's the law). If you have full coverage on a vehicle and your in an accident... if your laptop also gets damaged in the accident it would be replaced as well... (maybe this falls under property insurance?) So there for stating that if your dog (which is your PROPERTY) gets hurt/killed in an accident... you should be compensated. He thinks Progessive is just trying to tug at the animal lovers heart to win more consumers.

Anyway... Aiden is crying so I have to bolt... I will call soon... promise!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Okay... called USAA... my other question was... do you know if the $500 is for injury or for death? or both?

USAA stated that because a dog is property it would fall under "renter's insurance" or "home owner's insurance". They said that it does not cover injury but it does cover death. She stated that "they" just had a discussion about this the other day and are still (the legalities I think... so that it's more clear or something). Which is what I thought...

I think my husband was thinking about when his car was broken into (he got confused I guess) because it fell into two categories... auto and property insurance... since they stole his laptop along with wedding ring etc... while moving to TX.

She said that to cover injuries and what not you would need pet insurance... which of course we all already know that! lol

***edited to add...

But I'm not worried because we have home owners insurance so our property, including Odin... is covered... everything we do is with USAA and I wouldn't leave them for NOTHIN! I think we pay $60 bucks for both cars a month... and I haven't even hit 25 yrs old yet... bet hubby will be happy when I do! lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts