Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if some some of you advise keeping ones dog tied to you while he is out of his crate.  Windsor is approaching the ~11 weeks and right now he is becoming more and more "exploratory".  At first we let him the run of the house because he would follow you everywhere and stay on your feet.  However he is now learning to climb on people, couches, and beds.  I am trying to teach him the sit command but he only sits when there is a treat, he feels like it, and there are no darn distracting couches around.  I know that he is only a puppy and so running around is natural but I am also finding more pee and poop spots around the house.  

-So today I started keeping him on a leash inside the house, and so everywhere I go, he goes.  I even take him into the bathroom with me.  That was ALOT more work than I thought, curiosity is an EVIL thing.  I wonder could this end up having some negative effect on him?  He loves to bite the crap out of the leash but I figured he'll eventually have to get used to it, but I don't want him to think of the leash as a punishment or something negative.  

-Another thing is how long do you leave your puppies outside of the crate?  Some owners told us that they should only be let out for 20 mins and be left in the crate for 2-3 hours, out for 20 mins and back for 2-3 hours.  We have considered doing that because potty training is starting to hit some stumbling blocks.  He only likes to go inside the house.  Not much fun.

I figured I would ask the experts[you all] before making any permanent decisions.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When we first brought Angel home in Feb, I kept her on lead for a few weeks, just so it was easier for me to grab her if I caught her having an accident. Can't say it worked 100% of the time, but it helped.
To help Windsor, you might try doing short training times on lead as well. Teach him to stay at your side, sit, wait, and make sure you have treats! Keep him on his lead when you take him out to potty, that way he can't wander and get him to focus on what he's out there to do.
As far as the crating, I've never crated a pup, so I really can't answer that, but my thought is if you are leaving him in there for long stretches the chances are that Windsor will start to associate the crate with negative things. I would keep working on the housebreaking with the lead. You will have times when it's like everything they have learned just suddenly goes out the window, the key is to keep working at it, try not to lose your patience. I know, not easy at times, believe me..Angel had me pulling my hair out for a few months...
I'm sure that others will have some other thoughts for you as well. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
This is called the "umbilical cord" method and it can work quite well - if nothing else, it teaches the owner to pay close attention to the puppy! ;)  It also helps you bond with your puppy (works well for rescue dogs, too) and helps the puppy become confident with your benevolent leadership.

This is a good article about housetraining in general, which touches on the umbilical cord method as well:
http://www.pawsitivesolutions.net/puppy ... setra.html

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
When we had chloe we had to keep her on lead, though we haven had to do this with Reese or Savannah. They both are pretty good. I wouldnt leave either of them have free run of the home if i wasnt there, but when i am home they pretty much stick with me on their own.

the best way to crate train (that i have found) is when you take them outside to go potty, if he DOESNT go, then put him in the kennel for about 10 min. take him back out, if he doesnt go leave him in the kennel for about 15 min and watch him. you are supposed to do this, but not exceed an hour in the kennel. I dont believe in leaving them in the kennel if you are home and able to watch them. I dont think that it is right to leave them kenneled for 2-3 hours while you are at home, just so they could come out to go potty and play for about 20 min.

hope this helps some :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree it's a good idea to have the leash on most of the time for potty training purposes and so that she gets used to having it on. Macy and Guido go in their crates when we leave the house, I don't let them have full run. Most of the time I make sure they are in the same room as me so that I can keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
WindsorBowser\";p=\"24686 said:
 I am trying to teach him the sit command but he only sits when there is a treat, he feels like it, and there are no darn distracting couches around.
For Kaiser and sitting I hold the treat in my closed hand so he cannot see it.  When I want him to sit i show the closed hand/fist so he is not sure if there is one in there or not.  Both of my pre-teen kids are able to use the command as well.  For the most part we always have a treat but there are certain circumstances that we don't

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, besides the excessive whining at not being able to pounce on our yorkie, his accident rate has decreased dramatically.  Although he pulls pretty hard considering that he only weighs 20.7lbs.  It seems that he won't poop in the house if it isn't in his favorite little corner by the table which is a plus for us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts