Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
being as i live in Texas i see this all the time. it may vary from state to state as far as legal wise. I dont know if it is legal here, but i dont own a pickup so i dont have to worry!! i would look up the state law where you live...or even call the local P.D and ask.

·
Registered
491 Posts
call your local police station...  

good luck...

I would not do that, I would be afraid of him jumping out or something...  just my .02

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was in NH for College and a guy had his dog in the back of his pickup.. The dog jumped out at a light and the guy had no idea..

Dog hung himslelf.  I am not joking, it was really sad.  It was a German Shepard.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know I would never put Gaby in the bed of our truck, it's just to dangerous, for the reasons like bubba said and also if you were to get into a bad accident
this could also turn out to be fatal for your best friend.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would say keep him up front with you....  better safe than sorry.. Dont forget, he is your buddy, not a trophy to show off in the back of your truck.  I know lots of people do that, so other people can say... hey, look at that cool dog in the back of the truck...

sorry, i am just rambling...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yeah, my 1st thought was about the dangers of an accident, but was just thinking about the more likely issues of dust/dirt/bugs in their eyes? I wash faces every day just to keep the normal stuff out of their eyes. Just seems too risky on several levels for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cf ... ickup_beds

Half way down states what states passed laws about dogs riding in the bed of trucks.

Personally I wouldn't take the chance of something happening to my dog I would feel horrible for not protecting him better.  He could be killed in an accident, he could hang himself if he jumped out and his leash get tangled.  He rides in the back of my 4runner with the window down some so he can get that wind blown feeling he likes so much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In Australia it is legal but you have to have the dog tied up on a short leash, short enough that it cant jump out as he could hang himself. usually people connect the lead to where the middle of the cab is, like behind your back window. Its a good rule i think cos the cab will protect the dog from crazy speed-wind and they are safe so they wont fall out. My mates dog fell out before, nearly died, now he gets pride of place up front (but he wasnt tied up). So even if it is legal there you might want to consider it?

I dont own a pickup but if i did i still reckon Benson would ride up front (im a softie)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
It is illegal here for dogs.....but not people or kids????  8O

I still see dogs in the back of pick ups here, and it makes me livid!  :aua:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
It should be illegal.  A small accident or wrong turn and your dog is thrown from the vehicle and killed.   Many people who are killed in car accidents are because they were thrown from the vehicle, not because of the actual collision.

Call me a dork but I have a seatbelt for my dog.  I've already been rear-ended by some jackass at a stop light with my dog unattached, I saw firsthand what could happen just with a fender bender.

G

·
0 Posts
I also saw a dog jump out of the back of a truck.  I was behind the truck at a light and I guess the dog thought it was time to get out.  THe leash was just long enough that his toes were touching the ground.  LUCKILY the people saw it and pulled into the gas station they were beside.  The lady jumped out and untied the dog.  She was frantic (as anyone should be)  I think they learned their lesson that day.  The dog was a lab I think.

I think if you just HAD to put the dog in the back of the truck I would do what Donna said and tie the lead to the middle of the cab.  I couldn't put my dogs back there.  Binga rides in the seat...   I rolled the window down for her once and she was scared of it!  Funniest thing I had ever seen.  SO I know she would probably be scared in the back of a truck too.

Not sure if its legal or not here in Texas.  But I see it ALL the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts