Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if it would be okay to give a rawhide bone to my almost 9 week old puppy.  My other dog has been missing hers because I won't give her any for fear that he is to little to have one, and I'd hate to be unfair and give her one with out giving one to him.  Has anyone done this or do you know if it's a no no or not?  Thanks.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can, but monitor the chewing on it. You don't want them to chew off big hunks as that stuff doesn't digest and can cause a blockage.  Make sure to give the other dog hers first so she doesn't feel put out and separate the two as the puppy will have not know the rules of ownership over it and it the other dog could show some possessiveness.

Nano

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I stopped giving Phoenix rawhides all together a little while about because they don't get digested. I would try switching to bully sticks or a nylabone.
Or if your puppy is teething I know you can buy puppy "teething rings" similar to the ones you buy and put in the freezer for skin-babies.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You can also get sam's yams as a treat instead of rawhides or natural bully sticks (make sure they are the natural ones and not the rawhide or stinky ones).  With rawhides I am afraid they will end up swallowing too big a piece and get a blockage since they swell so much as they get moist.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh trust me, until I had one fall in the pool and I saw what happened to it, I had no idea either...there are a lot of alternatives out there that your babies will love...I really do like the Healthy Edibles, but if you have a strong chewer, which Angel is, they don't last long....

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I never realized how expensive bully sticks are....or maybe it is my area. They are starting at 7-8 dollars a piece for the smaller ones!! Yikes. We bought the pack just the other day some bones...dont remember which kind but they are those natural bones with something in the middle of them. hmmm now i have to go find the wrapper that they were in so i can post it and not sound....special :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts