Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Is it true....

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  cburkett 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about getting Blue a friend to play with.  Now I have a talked to a friend of mine that has 3 boxers and she tells me that they do much better in groups.  She also told me that getting another boxer will help Blue calm down, which he isn't all that crazy he just has little "Puppy spasms."  I would just like to get some other opinions before we go looking for another boxer.

#2 ·
I agree they are better in pairs. since they are such social animals it is easier to have another one there when you arent able to be.  I amk not sure about the whole calming down thing-both my girls are pretty calm-not too much spazing about in my home.

#3 ·
I have two.. but only Mia is the boxer.. Toby is Mia's play toy and he does keep her entertained and it helps me out a ton! I love having two and I definitely want a third! Just have to sort out this whole relationship mess right now and then I'll be looking into a third..

#6 ·
Hi!  I so agree that Boxers do much better in pairs.....or even with another doggy friend!  My first Boxer, who is 22 weeks old, has always been with my moms goldendoodle....they wear eachother out!!  My boyfriend and I just got another Boxer, and boy, who is 7 weeks old....and my two Boxers LOVE each other and play nonstop!  Yes they wear eachother out.....everyone has commented on how calm my Boxers are....they are not hyper like the percieved notion of them.  Guess having two helps!!

#7 ·
I definitely agree that boxers need a play pal...And no, it doesn't have to be another boxer..But like was already said, you need to match energy levels...I'm dealing with a 10 yr old boxer and a 2 yr old boxer..It's hard on Angel as Samson isn't up to the play that she likes, and it's hard on him as well...Boxers are very social, they crave companionship and I like the idea of 2 cos they do keep each other company, or get into mischief together  :)

#8 ·
I agree that they do very well with another Boxer in the house.  I tend to prefer male/female pairs.  Less chance of any problems cropping up later with tolerance toward each other.  Same sex pairing can work too, I just think the M/F works well for me.

Nano

#9 ·
We started with one, added a rescue when our first one was about 6 (the rescue was around 10 to 15 months old) and they got along great, played and loved being together, both were female.

#10 ·
I have 2 Boxers and they definitely tire each other out.  I'm getting a third in a little less than a month.

#12 ·
I know that all of the family we have who have boxers have always done pairs...I have a pair...and they are wrestling around on the floor as we speak...I originally had one boxer and a Rat Terrier...all I can say is make sure the breeds match up well socially, etc...Boxers(at least the ones I have seen) love to sleep together and snuggle up as much as they love chasing and playing...Tessa was very uncomfortable with Mics need to snuggle and share space...Mic was very lonely...in the end, we found a family that loves Rats and we got Mic's brother home...they are both SO happy together...to be honest, the only concern I have is the inevitable times we will have to seperate them(surgery, etc.)

Have fun and good "luck" finding a good fit!

#15 ·
Jack was fairly hyper and since we've added Roxie he has calmed down quite a bit. We used to foster boxers until their adoption and we learned that if the other boxer was just as active...it wa a lost cause.  But Roxie is very lazy so in turn Jack has calmed down alot.  Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.