Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have more than one boxer to only take one to a meet up?? I ask because we have meet ups in my area, and i have always wanted to go, BUT savvy and reese would have no fun because they would be too busy running away from the people. I think they would get very anxious and just be too nervous to have a good time. I am basing this off of past experiences with them in public places,  i.e petsmart, walking and encountering people, and our trips to the park. Now samson i think would truly enjoy it, he loves loves loves people and it doesnt matter who!! I dont want it to seem as though i am favoring one over the other though. I feel like that often because of the vast difference in personality between the girls and samson. I sometime feel like a bad mommy to the girls.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
noo i think its ok..i would feel the same way and Isis is awesome in public no matter what but Onyx is a big mouth and feels like hes gotta protect her barking and barking..he wags his tail and isnt mad or anything just feels like hes gotta let people know hes there

we are going through the same thing for this weekend...the pet expo you can bring your dogs..and Shamrock is repping the boxer breed in the dog parade and we are going to support him...Isis would be GREAT and could careless about whats going on around her..she jsut likes to walk aorund with me and see things..Onyx on the other hand would be a psycho nutcase b/c he would feel like the whole place MIGHT harm Isis and hes be WOW..lol

so we are debating it..we have NEVER left one and taken the other anywhere.. :?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
If Savvy and Reese are like that then you are actually doing them a favor by not putting them into situations where they are anxious.  I think it is just fine.  If either of mine didn't do well, then I would only take one.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
yea i think it is fine...maybe another time you can let samson hang out with your boyfriend or something and just take the girls for their own mom time out in the yard to play or for a walk for one on one.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I think it is totally fine. If it isn't too hot out I let Delilah ride in the car to the dog park and she just sits in the car and watches me and Felix have fun.  She is much happier in the car watching than at home alone, and unfortunately she just can't go in the dog park because she doesn't get along with other dogs.
You might feel you are favoring one, but you can't hold him back from being socialized just because the other two get anxious in public.
Have fun with your pup!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't think its a problem. But they might actually like it.  Duke is the same way....he does not like people but if there is a person walking around with a dog, he will be totally distracted by the dog and not even notice the person.  Maybe take them one on one with Samson and see if that helps.  Seeing how he reacts may help, I took Bentley and Duke for a walk last night and one of my neighbors wanted to pet them, Bentley was lovin' it up but Duke was withdrawn, but after a second he actually was waggin his tail letting her pet him.  I think it helped seeing how Bentley was reacting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't feel bad, it's ok to take the one that can/will get along and not the others, but like Donya said, maybe you can find something to do with just the girls.  I have two girls and one boy, and there is a huge difference in how they react to public places.  Max loves everybody and is very curious whereas the girls are much more vocal and protective.  They get special rides in the car and stuff like that to keep it "even".

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I do things with my separate - some situations Hanna is not the perfect dog to be in and others its Kash.  So playdates I decide on what dogs are there and who to bring.  kash goes to daycare two days a week, Hanna to agility training two days.  I try to make time to do things separately with them so they are not sooo dependant on each other.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't think that it is wrong at all Andrea. Heck I do it with my skin kids!  :lol: Like Heather just said, I don't want my kids being so dependent on each other either, and they really don't have to do everything together!  :wink:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Chyna has to stay home when we go to the petstore. She's just too obnoxious around other dogs. she gets over excited and starts screaming.... :roll:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well I only have Ace but with that said I don't think it would be a big deal. Some dogs are better suited for certain situations.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Like the others have said, I think it's completely fine to do things separate with them. Sounds like Reese and Savannah would not enjoy the meet ups at all, so you ARE doing them a favor!

Lisa brought up a good point...not all kids get along or have fun in certain situations-same with fur babies!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Andrea, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking just one to a function...I have been doing that with Angel, Samson just can't handle it...Now, sadly Angel has gotten female aggressive so she won't be going to meetup either..I have met a few boxer people locally, so I am going to try and do my own meetups...My goal is find things I can do with each individually..Samson will get his car rides, Angel will get good walks, and haven't quite decided about Flick yet..I actually think it's good if you can find something that you can do one on one, better bonding time :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts