Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is turning out to be quite the eater and is gaining about 2lbs + a week. His is no 18lbs and climbing and 11 weeks old TODAY!

We started out feeding him 1/2 cup three times a day. He was still very interesed in the food and since becoming more active we bumped him up to 3/4 cup three times a day for the last two weeks now. He still seems very hungry and goes over to his food bin and scratches it. I don't want to overfeed him but is it possible that he is still hungry?

Excersise at this point is limited as he has a Upper respiratory infection right now (which I think he got from another puppy even though he had the vaccine) but he is still very active I'm just trying to limit walks to 10 minutes and play time to 20 minutes max.

Any suggestions as after feeding time seems to be the most challenging in terms of his behavior, he doesn't listen to commands and I'm thinking it's because he is hungry?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is doing great with his commands, we are currently feeding him Canidae. He does have to work for his food in the sense that he must sit and stay until he gets his food put down for him. Althougth this week he has started barking while we prepare his food. I think this may be because he gets his antibiotic put in there now maybe not but either way my husband and I do not condone this behavior. I stop immediatley tell him no and walk out of the room until his sits quietly.

Maybe next week once he is off the medicine and back to full exercise I will up to 3 cups a day he is gaing wait appropriatley and does not seem to show signs of being overweight. I can not see his ribs but I feel them when petting him.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yeah I would have no issues esp with Canidae to go up to 3 cups a day.  Pups are always growing and require IMO sometimes more than the above recommended dose.  Esp with meds, more nutrition maybe needed.

Good Job Logan on commands!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't have thought that with the meds, I will try tonight.

Thanks for the advise :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I wouldn't have thought that with the meds
I tend to look at it as a puppy is like a newborn.   They are prone to catching everything because they have a weak immune system.   Meds help fight off infections, parasite etc, but a good balanced diet builds the immune system hence hopefully leading to the own pup being able to fight off infection before meds have to come back to play.....just my thoughts......

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know he was perfectly heathly and then I switched his food, he got the infection just 2-3 days after switching I wonder if that had something to do with it to. We switched from Nutro Natural to Canidae.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I don't know that switching food would have caused a respitory problem, a tummy problem, but not respitory.

Also, since he's on antibiotics, a little plain yogurt can put back the good bacteria and help the process along.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not to thread jack, but I didn't want to start another thread on the same subject...

We feed Kaci about 2-2.5 cups of food once daily and I honestly don't think she'd ever stop eating if we gave her the whole bag. She's almost 2 years old and always acts like she's starving. I don't want to feed her any more than that becuase she'll start to get fat...as noted by when she goes to 'grandpa's', he feeds her WAY more than she should eat...but she eats it all. We only feed her once a day because she cannot hold it for 8-9 hours while we're at work...unfortunately running home at lunch is out of the picture, the hubby and I work a good 30+ minutes from work (one way). As of right now her exercise is running out side an hour or so a day with Milo (4 yr old boxer) and then playing around inside for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
73 Posts
CrazieKC-  What are you feeding?  I hate to be graphic, but is she having trouble holding urine or BM's?  Gretchen is sometimes a problem when she has to be crated for a long time.  If it were up to her, she would eat all day everyday, and snack in between LOL.  I divide her portions up into 2 meals- with the smaller being in the morning.  That way, she has something on her tummy from the emptiness of overnight, but the bigger meal is left for the evening, so that her tummy is full and happy when she is ready for bed @ night.  Would it be possible to feed a tiny portion in the morning before leaving, just to abate her hunger from overnight?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie is six months, around 55lbs. and she eats about 6 cups a day.  Look on the bag to find out about what you should be feeding.  One thing to remember though is puppies tend to eat more.  Once they get to around 10-12 months they slow down and you can cut them back.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
holy cow 6 cups?  what bag list six cups?

Even if my dogs were on a full kibble diet the most my pup would get of a human grade kibble would be 4.   At 6 months I would be cutting down to two feeds of 1.5 each day.   Thats just me, 6 cups seems a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts