Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I believe in neutering your pets 100% but I also don't think that all backyard dog pregnancies are bad either. I don't see anything wrong with someone mating their dog once and having a litter of puppies as long as they are responsible and VERY careful with who and how they house the puppies out later. That being said I also don't agree with people mating their family pet repeatedly and using them as a , for lack of a better term, "part-time job".... I consider that to be heartless.

OP, if you do end up mating her... who knows, I may want one of your solid black masked fawn if you end up with any ;) :lol:

·
Banned
36 Posts
Many miss the forest for the trees.Everything is like a chain.There is a reason for something that is happening.It's not the neutering that will "save the day".Killing 3.5 million dogs is heartless, neutering dogs is heartless.And all of that happened because we are irresponsible.It's exactly what overlap king said! (That being said I also don't agree with people mating their family pet repeatedly and using them as a , for lack of a better term, "part-time job").If everyone had this last sentence in mind everything would've been different :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I agree that too many people are irresponsible, which leads to too many animals being euthanized. But there are also those that think they are going to make $ by breeding, they do not do any genetic testing and many of these pups end up with not only behavior problems but health issues, such as hip dysplasia. They end up in a shelter because the original owner doesn't want to be bothered or pay the money to a vet. Thirty some odd years a go I showed in conformation and had a few breedings with my mini schnauzers.. I can tell you it was a lot of work and I nearly broke even when all was said and done. Not only was I responsible to find them good homes but I was also responsible to take them back should the buyer change their mind about the dog. I had a good mentor back then to help me through the processes.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I agree that too many people are irresponsible, which leads to too many animals being euthanized. But there are also those that think they are going to make $ by breeding, they do not do any genetic testing and many of these pups end up with not only behavior problems but health issues, such as hip dysplasia. They end up in a shelter because the original owner doesn't want to be bothered or pay the money to a vet. Thirty some odd years a go I showed in conformation and had a few breedings with my mini schnauzers.. I can tell you it was a lot of work and I nearly broke even when all was said and done. Not only was I responsible to find them good homes but I was also responsible to take them back should the buyer change their mind about the dog. I had a good mentor back then to help me through the processes.

I agree with this 100%

I have thought long and hard about whether or not I am going to breed Echo. She is the perfect size, has a great temperment and a beautiful face. I even have a mentor that will do whatever she can to help me. Echo is part of a line that is all ofa health tested and AKC registered. However, I doubt I will go through with breeding her. I have almost 100% made up my mind to have her spayed at two years old. I just don't have the time to put into it nor the cash. Echo's breeder actually lost money on her litter due to one puppy having a serious health issue.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Well you've got a point there.It is like a double-edged knife.But that number would be by far lower if we people were more responsible.Many let their pets loose and get pregnant every once in a while
Unfortunately, the irresponsible far out number the responsible pet owners. So these horrible statistics won't be changing anytime soon.

I'll stick to neutering/spaying my pets.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
I'm with you Linda, you're 100% right! I agree with what you said sasasola.I'd like there to be some laws in order to prevent many of these.And something last.I did not say that you are heartless because you're doing that to your pets.Everyone has a way of thinking, different personality...i'm not judging you, just saying my opinion :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Pante00....I understand what your saying and your correct everyone thinks a little differently, it is nice when we can discuss these without anyone getting upset with one another. I'm good with this.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You're right but don't be that much sure.Because i know good kennells that got into that because of the money.And they try to make the breed better for money.What confuses me is that if you won't let your dogs ge through that process (it's natural) it will make them go crazy.Αlso getting them neutered seems kind of heartless.Οh and no offence, we're friends here.I just wanted to help a friend.

Thank you
Look I'm not a breeder or show dog person or anything... But NO good kennel gets into it for the money. Heartless to neuter a dog... I think not. My bfs family dog is like my son, and he is happier than anything, and he was neuter.
Heartless is putting unwanted puppies into the world. Heartless is that my little girl would've been MURDERED if a brilliant Rescue hadn't happened to take her in... while people are still putting out unwanted pups that end up taking all the homes of the dogs in need.
I'm sorry to be harsh, but it really affects me
Both dogs mentioned are mux breeds from Detroit that ended up living as strays, not doubt birthed by BYBs. They got incredibly lucky. For every dog like them, many never got there chance. There is no acceptable reason to Breed a dog EVER except thinking the dog is a perfect specimen of a Breed, and wanting to improve on that Breed, and only an expert is qualified to make that call.
I understand that you think you mean well, but most of these other people spend huge amounts of time, energy, and money trying to perfect their beloved Breed. Most lose, not make, a lot of money in the process. What you're saying is rude, and cruel to those of us like me, who have a rescue that could've been less lucky.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts