Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! King is very picky with his food. We had him on Merrick Grain Free when he came home at 8wks. It didn’t work out and changed to Taste of the Wild. He did GREAT on TOTW, but then got bored of it and would scatter it all over the floor. Next up Purina Pro Plan. Did great, awesome stools. Got bored once again. In comes Fromm Gold Puppy Large Breed. Never had a good stool on it.

Now on Farmina Puppy Lamb and Blueberry. The protein is 35%. He loves it BUT his stools are extremely soft. I can’t get them to be normal. The kind that is normal form but not firm enough to pick up. I’m thinking maybe his stomach can’t handle the protein?

He is 11 months old, 70lbs. No parasites or anything his stool has been tested. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
5 different foods in 9 months? That’s crazy. Puppies go through picky stages... this does not mean that you change his food. Of course he will eat something new smelling but he will then resort back to his picky tendencies because he knows that something different will be offered. I have 2 suggestions for you..

1) Choose 1 kibble brand and stick with it. If he refuses to eat, remove the food until his next scheduled feeding. He will not starve himself, he might go on a hunger strike for several meals but he will eventually learn to eat what’s offered/when offered.

2) Switch him to a raw diet and feed him a variety of proteins so he doesn’t have a chance to become bored of what you are feeding him. Even raw fed puppies can get picky.. the key is to still do the above... remove food after 10 minutes and offer it again at the next scheduled feeding

·
Banned
4 Posts
Hi all! King is very picky with his food. We had him on Merrick Grain Free when he came home at 8wks. It didn’t work out and changed to Taste of the Wild. He did GREAT on TOTW, but then got bored of it and would scatter it all over the floor. Next up Purina Pro Plan. Did great, awesome stools. Got bored once again. In comes Fromm Gold Puppy Large Breed. Never had a good stool on it.

Now on Farmina Puppy Lamb and Blueberry. The protein is 35%. He loves it BUT his stools are extremely soft. I can’t get them to be normal. The kind that is normal form but not firm enough to pick up. I’m thinking maybe his stomach can’t handle the protein?

He is 11 months old, 70lbs. No parasites or anything his stool has been tested. Any recommendations?
Do you think that I should use protein recently I started to play sports and in order to improve muscle growth. I want to try protein, but I don’t know if it will be safe for my health. My best friend has been using protein from MyProtein for about two years. I decided to look at the overview on the products of this brand and on https://bigbluetest.org even found out that there are different tastes and this protein is safe for health. Everyone tells me it's cool and safe, but I doubt it nonetheless. What should I do?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi, I had two boxers on grain free both of them died from DCM so I would recommend you look up the FDA website and read up on DCM and grain free. I wish I had that info before I ever started using it. I don't like raw because it seems there are always recalls for salmonella or listeria so I don't use it I don't buy into all the you dog needs to eat like a wolf thing either you dog is not a wolf doesn't live like a wolf gets fed regularly and has a warm place to sleep at night. There are many varying opinions on the subject of feeding your dog but you have be careful. It takes 8 years for a Veterinary Nutritionist to be certified most of the big dog food companies can afford to pay these people the smaller companies do not have that advantage. I feed my boxers Royal Canin have had good results and it contains L carnitine and Taurine which are two important nutrients for boxers my dogs stools have been good so far. I take a couple of spoons of the canned royal Canin and mix it on their food twice a day they eat it just fine. My boy is 11 months old too he is going thru some growth spurts and sometimes I think that's why he is a little off on his food. I just keep the food the same. I hope you will come to a good decision for your dog its one of the most important things we can do for them is feeding them right

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Hi, I had two boxers on grain free both of them died from DCM so I would recommend you look up the FDA website and read up on DCM and grain free. I wish I had that info before I ever started using it. I don't like raw because it seems there are always recalls for salmonella or listeria so I don't use it I don't buy into all the you dog needs to eat like a wolf thing either you dog is not a wolf doesn't live like a wolf gets fed regularly and has a warm place to sleep at night. There are many varying opinions on the subject of feeding your dog but you have be careful. It takes 8 years for a Veterinary Nutritionist to be certified most of the big dog food companies can afford to pay these people the smaller companies do not have that advantage. I feed my boxers Royal Canin have had good results and it contains L carnitine and Taurine which are two important nutrients for boxers my dogs stools have been good so far. I take a couple of spoons of the canned royal Canin and mix it on their food twice a day they eat it just fine. My boy is 11 months old too he is going thru some growth spurts and sometimes I think that's why he is a little off on his food. I just keep the food the same. I hope you will come to a good decision for your dog its one of the most important things we can do for them is feeding them right
First off I want to say I’m so sorry for your loss. I do have a couple questions though if you don’t mind?

Were your dogs related and were they from health tested parents? Since our breed is genetically predisposed to DCM to begin with, I think that’s some pretty important information. There have actually been some brands of food listed through the FDA that contain grains and yet there are still reports of nutritional DCM. At the end of the day they still can’t pin point the cause.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Hi,
My dogs were not related at all. My female was 7 when she developed DCM. I had an echo cardiogram done on her when she was 5 because she developed acute hemolytic anemia they did the echo as part of the testing why she was fainting her heart was normal. My male was on 2 when his DCM showed itself. I later found out my males sire has DCM and one of his litter mates so there is a genetic factor there. The thing that makes me think food has such a large part in this is my males sire is still alive and doing well and so is his sister they have NEVER been fed grain free dog food. My older female was switched to grain free food when she was about 4 and my male was eating it after he was out of puppy food so I can't help but think that was the problem. I learned a very hard lesson there losing two of my beautiful dogs within 6 months they were perfect dogs in every way and I can't tell you how terrible it was to watch them go downhill so quickly and to be faced with putting both of them to sleep when their conditions got so bad the meds weren't helping anymore it was terrible. I didn't know if I wanted to get anymore dogs after that but I love Boxers so much my house was empty without one so after a lot of research online I found a breeder close to me that had health tested parents so I had to spend a lot more money but it was worth it, I have a girl who is almost 2 and a boy who is almost 1. Their parents have been tested for DM as well. What I went thru with my babies left a scar on my heart that will never heal and I hope I never see anything like that again! I wish I had the information about DCM and food a long time ago maybe my dogs would still be here.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I’m quite sure it was very hard to go through. i hope it is something you never have to experience again.

I raw feed but am hopeful that through studies they are able to pin the cause of nutritional DCM.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am too, I would hate to see anyone lose their dog over a food choice. I hope they can eventually pin point a cause but I personally will never use it again. The report I read on Dog Food Advisor has a breakdown of which breeds were affected the most. I wonder how long they have known about this issue? How many dogs have died because of this? I paid a heavy price, I have read posts on here of people who have lost their boxers to DCM and it was quick instantly dead and that is horrible for sure especially when they didn't know anything was wrong but watching them go down hill for 3 months is very hard my boy had just turned 3 when I had to put him down he didn't even get a chance to live. Fortunately I have a whole lot of pictures of him I have a whole book of his he got to do a lot in his short time here and they are a comfort. My two current dogs come from health tested parents so I hope that offers some protection. My female is half Euro and my male is 87 percent they say the Euro dogs are healthier so I am hoping no more problems will occur at least and they get to live their normal lives.

·
Registered
312 Posts
We could talk for weeks on end about dog foods. I've seen dogs live on old Roy and survive, but not thrive. I see no flat teeth in a dogs mouth for chewing grains. I too have fed different kibbles, almost lost a loved boxer once to Royal Canin to much vitamin D in the formula.
I now Cook and supplement with fish based kibble. I would stay away from any kibble that gets protein from Peas, lentils , beans. ect.
I do add a fish capsule and probiotics, I believe that genetics is the main culprit in a early demise. IMO

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am leery of products containing fish though because of the mercury content in fish. They tell us not to eat it more than twice a week and cooking does not get rid of mercury why would it be safe for dogs to eat everyday? I once asked a dog food company I think it was an Arcana rep about the mercury in the fish and she would not answer my question at all she had lots of answers for other things but not the fish because they know its still there. I remember the recalls for excessive Vitamin D. that was only in the prescription canned food as I remember. I was concerned earlier years ago with the Chinese wheat gluten I was feeding another boxer of mine Iams when that happened and Royal Canin was part of that one so hopefully they have learned their lesson and will be more careful but food slip ups happen in human food as well.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Joeponds, I agree, we could go on an on about kibbles and/or canned food. I don't like to cook anymore (after 40 some odd years) so I'm not cooking for the dog. I think if I were more confident and had a good source I'd go raw. But I'm not. So I stick with kibble the is not high in lentils, add fish treats now & then, they all get a dollop of greek yogurt and now I am adding omega 3 fish oil.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Joeponds, I agree, we could go on an on about kibbles and/or canned food. I don't like to cook anymore (after 40 some odd years) so I'm not cooking for the dog. I think if I were more confident and had a good source I'd go raw. But I'm not. So I stick with kibble the is not high in lentils, add fish treats now & then, they all get a dollop of greek yogurt and now I am adding omega 3 fish oil.
Lot of people do fish oil, I guess i'm one of the few who does the sardines. Is it the smell..? lol

·
Registered
312 Posts
Matt, I bet they love the sardines which is a small fish with out a big possibility of mercury that [email protected] is worried about. I do use fish oil capsules with small fish ingredients anchovy, mackerel,sardine and herring and it's purified to eliminate any trace of mercury.( Natures Bounty) There coats are wonderful and there getting the micro nutrients ( turine ect) that is needed . Lindar51 I do agree with you the cooking is very time consuming and tiring. One day I too will stop I keep telling myself.
Enough of my rambling.

Be Well

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Matt, I bet they love the sardines which is a small fish with out a big possibility of mercury that [email protected] is worried about. I do use fish oil capsules with small fish ingredients anchovy, mackerel,sardine and herring and it's purified to eliminate any trace of mercury.( Natures Bounty) There coats are wonderful and there getting the micro nutrients ( turine ect) that is needed . Lindar51 I do agree with you the cooking is very time consuming and tiring. One day I too will stop I keep telling myself.
Enough of my rambling.

Be Well
Yeah, he loves it. I found a brand online that puts absolutely nothing in the can except water. I switch it up occasional with mackerel. Like you said, small fish that has almost no mercury and a ton of other benefits. I also think thats why most fish kibble is catfish, perch, trout, etc. all fish with almost no mercury.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts