Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer puppy is 5 1/2 months old.  I am feeding him Purina ProPlan for large breed puppies.  He now gets one cup three times a day.  Is this a sufficient amount of food for him?    He also gobbles his food.  It takes him 30 seconds to finish one cup of dog food.  Sometimes he eat so fast he throws it up, and tries to eat it again (yuk)!  He still seems to be starving even after he's eaten. Does anyone have any advice?? He does seem skinny, I can see his ribs but not his hip bones.  Thanks!! :roll:  :bshelp:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Id up him - I usually fed my pups 1.5 to 2 cups three times a day.  If they looked skinny, closer to two.  If they looked fuller, then closer to 1.5.

Boxers are lean dogs and best to judge by how they look rather than the back of the bag!

Welcome to the forum, post and intro and post a pic your little one - we love pics!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
As a puppy Templeton also gobbled down his food way too fast.  The breeder suggested watering down his kibble with warm water just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
544 Posts
choas2k\";p=\"111794 said:
Good advice Kim, we do the same and it slowed them down.
No problem.

Another suggestion would be to raise his feed dish up to his level or just a little above.  I also read somewhere to place the kibble on a plate or something flat like a cookie sheet which will spread the food out forcing the dog to slow down when eating.  As for the amount of food your pup should be eating I agree with Hannabanana.  I hope that helps.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Our pup eats super fast as well and I've read that can cause issues.  We feed twice a day and he gets half his food in a Kong toy.  It makes a mess cause he rolls it around the kitchen eating off the floor but it slows him down alot.  We have wood flooring and we've taken to mopping quite often. (we got that Shark mop that cleans with steam, it also sanitizes because of the heat, it is easy and quick and does a pretty good job.)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Cassius-Pup\";p=\"112606 said:
We feed twice a day and he gets half his food in a Kong toy.
That's what I do, too. I fill his Kong up and put it in his bowl with the other kibble. Slows him waaaay down.  But definitely causes him to make a mess. Somehow the water bowl gets involved as well  :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts