Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New here....My pup Sweetie is 10.5 months. She weighs about 35 pounds. Breeder says mother is 53 pounds and father is 64 pounds. She's not 'skinny' just small. Did I get the runt of the litter?? I know boxers aren't fully grown until about 3 years....but I still think she's really small.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays Boxer Families!

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are lots of topics about this floating around somewhere on here but the best advice I have read was that all puppies grow at different times and turn out to be any number of sizes. If your baby is healthy, thats all that matters

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hi amyandtyler,

I was thinking the same thing with my Britney the past few days because she is 10.5 months and around 6-7 pounds. As far as I have read in many boxer books and forums they say that all boxers grow differently and are very hard to know what should be the size and weight of a boxer pup. It seems most times they all catch up sooner or later. Also, it seems common to be able to see their ribs a bit.  They do allot of growing in the first year...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I am not real sure about weight in boxers....although my Chance is a little over 6 months and weighs over 50 pounds. But mom and dad were well over 70 pounds

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Don't get "hung up" so much on the size thing....Dogs are no different than humans..We all come in different sizes, so do dogs...A lot of it is genetics...Look at the parents, grandparents etc...Boxers are technically considered to be puppies til they turn 3. The growing taller usually peaks at about 18 mos to 2 yrs. Then they will start filling out. Again, you have to go back and look at the lineage. 2 shorter husky Boxers are more than likely not going to produce a tall and lanky one...

The breed standard calls for
Size: Adult males 23 to 25 inches; females 21

·
Registered
342 Posts
i think I may have the extremities of both large and small.  Haylee who was the runt is 7 years old, weighs just over 50 pounds.  Kaiser turns one on new years eve and is weighing in at 70+.   they are both healthy and happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I always wonder what poundages they should be at a certain age as well. My Copper is 30lbs. at 13 weeks. I am curious because i'm starting to wonder how big of a dog we are going to have on our hands once he is full grown.

But i believe if they are eating and they are healthy they all grow at their own pace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Baxter is 10 weeks old tomorrow and about 11.5 lbs.  He seems to be putting on the weight pretty quick; I think he gained 3.5 lbs in 10 days.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I guess this is my time to chime in.

This is small:
Kaci:
Age...............Date............Weight
4 mo, 2 wks...3/24/06.........14.8
6 mo.............5/4/06...........18.9
1 yr, 8 mo.....7/9/07...........31.5
2 yrs.............11/10/07.......35.0 (19")

Here's Milo's weights for reference as well
3 months: 16.60 lbs
4 months: 26.20 lbs
7 months: 44.80 lbs
8 months: 50.60 lbs
9 months: 49.60 lbs
17 months: 55.10 lbs
19 months: 53.60 lbs
4 years: 67 lbs (23")

But like everyone has said, each boxer grows differently. As long as they are happy and healthy that's all that matters :D

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sadie is a little tank, she's short, bulky, and about 60lbs.  Her Mom was only 45lbs. and short.  Don't get hung up on weight, as long as there healthy, who cares.  Plus, if there smaller, they shouldn't eat as much.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby is 38 lbs at almost 18 months (Jan. 1st)..although I suspect she may have gained a pound or two. Will find out tomorrow at the vet!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
My youngest girl Reese is 11 months (she will be a year in Jan) and she is between 35-40 lbs. I havent weighed her in the past few weeks, which i should...but she was  about 35 last time i weighed her and has added a few pounds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts