Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Porter went to the vet today and had a bump checked out (it's fine).  The vet mentioned that he thought Porter was as tall as he is going to get (he's 6 months old!) and that he would probably only weigh 45 lbs!!!  Is that insane??  I got a male boxer specifically because he would be a BIG dog.  I love him regardless, but a 45 lb male boxer?  That just doesn't sound right, does it?  Maybe I need a new vet!

·
Registered
913 Posts
OH, that seems rather small, but as many have pointed  out genetics plays the bigest roll in size....FYI..I am raising a miniatre cow ( Ashley ) who at 5 1/2 months is 42 lbs, and its clear to me..she's gonna be ALOT bigger.
I think when it comes to our dogs..maybe we have to focus on HEALTH..not size..because it seem like they come not only in every shape and size..but color too!!
Porter is a sweetheart..and count yourself lucky if you end up with a 45 lb dog that can HALF fit in your lap!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey Attila is only 12months and weights 45lbs only because we switched to EVO Meat, other wise he would probably still be around 35lbs

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Now daphne weighs in at about 60lbs at 15months old.  She is pure muscle.  I could call her the Glamazon!!!! =))

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 15 month old male boxer and he is only 46.2 lbs right now.  He could stand to gain another 5 or so.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It depends on his genetics.  I certainly think he will get taller, Felix was still growing taller at 10 months, maybe a little after that.
Boxers are not supposed to be BIG dogs though... technically they are medium sized dogs ;)
Felix is 50lbs. at one year, but has a lean build.  Boxers will usually fill out a bit after 1.5 years.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Isis is 6 yrs old and 80 pounds..solid..not fat..not super lean..

heres a 7 year old male..that's our trainer for boxer club, Michelle with her 6 time champion...shes awesome !!! a REAL trainer lol.. her dogs are unreal !!! hes real tall & about 75 lbs

i was impressed with his markings ,size and impeckable physique

but i think its all about the genetics ..good lord look at Kash & Hanna...talk about perfect examples of gorgeous boxers and many many other boxers on here...all different colors shapes and sizes...i could sit and name all of our babies on here b/c i love them all for the different looks,sizes, personalities...just unreal !! i am so glad i joined b/c it madfe me love boxers so much more and i didnt think that was possible

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
God only knows what he would say to Zulu, he'd peob think he was a horse! :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah is 60lbs at 20 months and I knew she was big against the standard but after going to the AKC show yesterday (sorry didn't get pictures yet) they seem so small compared to her.  Its really hard though to compare without her standing next to them.  I am going to measure her on my legs and then stand next to one of the show dogs and see where they come.  I just love her to death and wouldn't trade her for any money in the world but I really see the poor breeding in her now after seeing these dogs in person.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have a male at just 10 months he is at least 60 lbs prob more by now..    he was at the vet 2 month ago at 55lbs and he has def grown since then.  Genetics is the best way to det size of the dog and by what you feed them.  Boxers are the best no matter what size though!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bella was only 26 pounds at 7 months and she now weighs 45 pounds at 2 1/2 years. I always thought Boxers grow in height for 18 months and gain in bulk up to 2 years or so.  

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Vet is not necessarily crazy, maybe just unsure.  My last dog, Rocky, was half rottie, half weimaraner.  When we got him he was 5 months old and weighed 50 pounds.  Vet said he might get to 80 pounds when he was grown.  Well, he was 80 pounds at 8 months!  Got up to 120 by the time it was all over. 8O
Henry's vet (diff vet) said he would get up to 60 pounds, but now he is 20 months old and 67 pounds.  I think the vets really just guess at stuff like that. :wink:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yes it usually is just a guess and adding in what you normally see as general weight for a specific breed....so if that is the case he either does not know alot about boxers or does not see them often :)  But......as a general rule (that was taught) you take the weight at 16 weeks and triple it.....sometimes that works out...and sometimes it does not because of the genetics of breeds.....Over the years I have learned when someone ask me "how big they will be" I say Lets wait until next year and see, because it all depends on the size of the parents and the genetics of the dog :)  That answer works alot better :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It really is hard to say..I think time will tell on that really..But, we have a couple awfully pretty "little" Boxers on here, nothing to be ashamed of..Porter is only 6 mos, Boxers generally don't finsh growing til 18 mos, so I wouldn't worry

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The first vet visit Brodi had we had a fill in vet due to our regular vet having to do a emergency surgery and he told me Brodi was going to be small. He has just hit 5 months and 45 lbs.  That same vet seen him again few weeks ago and said I guess I was wrong he is going to be anything but small.  I really don't care if he stays 45 lbs or 90 lbs as long as he's healthy and I agree with Willow, Porter is only 6 months so he's still got plenty of time to grow  :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts