Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok for me to give sumya a raw egg, or should i scramble it first? sorry such silly  question but her tummy has been fine and i don't want to rock the boat!  :roll:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i always have given eggs raw never had a problem...but not sure if it will bother her..try it...its grewt for their coat

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am sure you can get alot of different answers on this and Salmonella is sure to come up...Let me start by saying that dogs are not as suseptable to get Salmonella as people are and if that is a concern then cook the egg.....But I feed raw eggs and have never had a problem...  Here is some detail on the issue of Salmonella......

Raw eggs are far healthier than cooked ones... especially if the cooked egg is cooked in oil or in fat.

The common concern on raw eggs are bacteria infection.... Salmonella, ever since it has been found inside a small number of eggs. Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. Therefore, the likelihood that an egg might contain Salmonella is extremely small - 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). Statistically, the incidence of salmonella in non-organic eggs is one in 20,000. The chance of infection works out to once every 30 years based on the consumption of a dozen eggs a week.

To protect the public at large, the Center for Disease Control in the United States recommends that eggs be cooked and vets were told to consider those guidelines.

Bacteria can sometimes accumulate on the shell. You should always wash the egg regardless of how you will feed it to yourself or your dog!

The odds are very small that you OR YOUR DOG would get sick from eating raw eggs. If you want to feel safer, use pasteurized eggs....Companies are pasteurizing eggs in the shell, so check the label.

The egg should be given whole and not seperating the egg/yolk due to the fact raw egg whites have avidin, but if you feed the whole egg, they don't get a biotin deficiency.

·
Registered
738 Posts
After reading on another post about raw egg being good for their coat... I tried it last night (mixing it in w/ their kibble) and they ate it up so fast I don't think they took 1 breath of air the whole time lol.  
Jasmine kind of did this coughing noise for a while after so I think she ate too fast...

·
Registered
27 Posts
How many raw eggs should you feed a week?

I have a 160lb Boxer/St Benard (11 years old)
I have a 30lb 3.5 month old Boxer

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm too nervous to feed raw eggs, I don't trust the dairy and eggs in this country. I'm probably just overly paranoid though.  I don't want to take the chance of salmonella, I can only imagine how awful I'd feel.  I scramble a few up once a week and he loves them.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joxer\";p=\"67853 said:
How many raw eggs should you feed a week?

I have a 160lb Boxer/St Benard (11 years old)
I have a 30lb 3.5 month old Boxer

good question! i did not think of that,  i  imagine 2 to 3 a week would be ok, but then again i am the one who started this thread wondering if it was ok in the first place! lol!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie is 65 pounds and she gets 2 a week, shell and all!  :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've always given my dogs raw eggs.  It is amazing what it does for their coats and skin.  I'm planning on starting Bruce on 2-3 a week in the hopes that it will help reduce the sensitivity of his skin...poor baby gets hives with the least irritation.  Had an Akita before and she ate probably close to a dozen a week, gorgeous coat and a very healthy dog (she also weighed around 100lbs)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I give Duke at least 1 a week but I try for 2.  He loves them.  I just break open the egg and mix it in with his food.  He won't eat the shell.

·
Registered
942 Posts
wow, eating the shell is okay for them? I'll have to start adding an egg to their food every once in awhile maybe it will make Milo eat a little more.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I notice a big different in Dukes coat when we give him an egg....and with Tabs our lab mix she seems to not shed as much.  My mom's neighbor gives her dogs coconut oil.....I'm not sure what it was for but my mom thought it was for their coat also.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
CrazieKC\";p=\"67881 said:
wow, eating the shell is okay for them? I'll have to start adding an egg to their food every once in awhile maybe it will make Milo eat a little more.
The shell is an excellent source of calcium and is good for them!  :D  Some dogs won't eat the shell. I give Maddie an egg in her food bowl and it is rather amusing watching her crack them open. It took her a few tries to actually realize she can crack them!  :lol:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I give Kiah one per week, she eats the shell also.  She just figured out she can bite them to get the shell to crack.  She used to pick them out of her bowl and drop them on the floor, I would grab it real quick and put it back in her bowl.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I give raw eggs too.  Usually I'll just mix it up in their kibble, and crush the shell on top.  I don't think they like the shell though, and what they eat is just accidental! lol.  they love the inside though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts