Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only reason I ask is that I was speaking to someone today and they heard from someone else that rice isn't very good for dogs because it can turn to glucose in the body and and then they can develop diabetes because of it.

This doesn't sound right to me but just wanted to check.

The hunt for a new food for Freddie continues - it's so difficult in the UK!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It depends.  I wouldn't feed it as a staple in their diet.  I don't  give mine any at all- I feed raw.  Dogs don't need rice, or any grains and the extent to which they can digest them is limited.
I don't know offhand about it leading to diabetes, but one negative is that it takes up a portion of their diet which could be better served by other things (meat!)
Are you doing a home-cooked meal or looking at ingredients in dog food?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
g00dgirl\";p=\"111630 said:
Are you doing a home-cooked meal or looking at ingredients in dog food?
Well I was until 10 minutes ago looking for dog food but I think I've decided to keep Freddie on his current food for a couple of months to see how he gets on - the main reason I was looking to change is that his stools were loose for the past week but in the past couple of days they have firmed up after we took bio-yoghurt out of his daily diet - I think we were giving him way too much (around 1 tblspn for each of meals).

The food we're giving him his Arden Grange Lamb and Rice

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
That isn't a bad food.  You can see a review of it here http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 49&cat=all

Yes, if he has only been on it for a week or two he may just need more time to adjust.  I would also suggest adding a tablespoon of 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) it comes in a can- usually found next to the pie filling.  Pumpkin is actually good for firming up stools and (if you give them a little more) relieving constipation ;)
You could cut the yogurt (and pumpkin) to one spoonful per day instead of every meal.
Good luck!

·
Registered
291 Posts
MY SISTER HAD A COCKER SPANIEL EVERYTIME HE WAS ILL SHE WOULD GIVE HIM A LITTLE AND IT HELPED HIS UPSET STOMACH. THATS WHAT HER VET RECOMMENDED.

I BELIEVE COOKED WITH A LITTLE CHICKEN BROTH IS OK - SOMEONE ELSE HERE COULD ELABERATE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts