Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a 4 month old boxer pup who we absolutely adore.

I'm writing this post to see if anyone can put my mind as ease.. most of the time she is absolutely great, and her training is going very well...very clever.

But, there is alot of times she is biting us, I understand nipping in puppies is normal but this is different, she's lunging at us constantly trying to get at us and growling, we have tried time out for punishment, tried ignoring and also tried diverting her to toys.

Is there anyone else who remembers this happening with their pups? I can deal with it if it sounds normal but I don't want to be doing anything wrong leading to it getting worse.

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
This sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. I would keep doing the distracting with her toys make sure she has puppy grade chews available to her plenty of playtime she will grow out of it when she bites you say No firmly not yelling just firm and give her something of hers instead

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is she doing the play bow when she’s biting/growling?

A lot of boxers are vocal and have a scary sounding growl when they’re playing.

My two boxers sound like they are fighting when they play but their body language tells us different (floppy, play bows, etc)

Our male became super mouthy around 11 months. Our trainer told us that he had high arosual and has a hard time turning it off. He would also make a growly noise. I took videos and sent them to our trainer. She wasn’t worried about aggression.

After trying just about everything, we got something called “doggie don’t” on Amazon and it is amazing! Maxx would have nipping episodes at least twice a day for months and wouldn’t respond to any command. We’d literally have to remove ourselves from the room until he calmed down. We only used the device like twice and he hasn’t continued the behavior. It’s been almost three weeks. It may be worth trying for your pup 😊

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is she doing the play bow when she’s biting/growling?

A lot of boxers are vocal and have a scary sounding growl when they’re playing.

My two boxers sound like they are fighting when they play but their body language tells us different (floppy, play bows, etc)

Our male became super mouthy around 11 months. Our trainer told us that he had high arosual and has a hard time turning it off. He would also make a growly noise. I took videos and sent them to our trainer. She wasn’t worried about aggression.

After trying just about everything, we got something called “doggie don’t” on Amazon and it is amazing! Maxx would have nipping episodes at least twice a day for months and wouldn’t respond to any command. We’d literally have to remove ourselves from the room until he calmed down. We only used the device like twice and he hasn’t continued the behavior. It’s been almost three weeks. It may be worth trying for your pup 😊

Thanks for the reply,

She doesn't bow, but her tail isn't the way you would expect if she was being aggressive. It's just the fact she doesn't stop going for you until you pick her up and put her in a different room.

I like the sound of that device but I'll wait till she's past 6 months just to make sure then I'll definitely give it a go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. I would keep doing the distracting with her toys make sure she has puppy grade chews available to her plenty of playtime she will grow out of it when she bites you say No firmly not yelling just firm and give her something of hers instead
Thank you,

I'll try a more firm no, as we do end up shouting at her to be honest and maybe that's where we're going wrong!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Well has been stated this is not "Aggression?" Puppies "explore the world thru there "mouth!" Pretty much that simple.
This is from "Robert Cabal," the Malinois guy. And if you know Mal's, the phrase Mala-a-gator, is how they are known!

Your in "Britain," so it's pretty safe to "assume," that unless you jumped thru some "loop's?" You have a "British Boxer?" That would be a "Real Deal," working tdog, that would be a "Real Deal," Working Dog and that "means," some things are a bit different. I did "Pit/Boxers," , GSD's and American Line Boxers. What they have in common in common is that, they are not well ... "Beagles!" :)

The "Redirect" thing may or may not work? It depends on the dog? I never bothered with the "Redirect Thing?" My "pups," never cared? As hands were more fun? Ok then "It's Game On!"

Now if you have really "soft tender hand's?" Then this won't work for you! But I like to teach my dog's a "Soft Touch," so they learn "Bite Inhibition," out the gate. When I played if they "clammed down too hard?" I would say "Ouch," and grabbed there lower jaw and would hold on! That was not too much fun them!

But they learned how much "pressure was too much?" And as Adults' I could grab stuff out of there mouths and we could "Play Rough" with "Toy's," and I could grab there flews and stuff and no one got hurt!

I did not want to stop them from biting? But I did want them to understand "Friend or Foe," as it were ... they seemed to understand the difference?

My GSD was kinda like a loaded handgun? So it was extra care with him! But even he ... knew if I said they were safe, he had limits! Althought I never tested that with him. :)

But my Boxer Struddell, yeah absolutely "!00%," people safe! Being stepped on while on the couch and licked to death were the only risk from her? And our guests would treat me like the "Bad Guy," if I tried to rein her in? :(

Just another take on the biting thing. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, we have a 4 month old boxer pup who we absolutely adore.

I'm writing this post to see if anyone can put my mind as ease.. most of the time she is absolutely great, and her training is going very well...very clever.

But, there is alot of times she is biting us, I understand nipping in puppies is normal but this is different, she's lunging at us constantly trying to get at us and growling, we have tried time out for punishment, tried ignoring and also tried diverting her to toys.

Is there anyone else who remembers this happening with their pups? I can deal with it if it sounds normal but I don't want to be doing anything wrong leading to it getting worse.

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks
My boy Louie was doing the same when he was younger ( he is 9 months now). Someone mentioned that Louie could be getting over tired/over stimulated and that might be a cause for the biting/aggression. So, I started putting him on 2 scheduled nap times in the crate. This absolutely helped!! He still gets one nap a day. Even a bit older he still has a hard time calming himself down. Have faith…it will get better as you learn about your baby!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts