Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to rehome a 10 week old puppy into my home, and I wanted to make sure if she was a real boxer. I got pictures of her dad and mom also.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Window Bulldog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Wood Companion dog

Fixture Rectangle Composite material Tints and shades Glass

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
The only way to know for sure is a DNA test or their AKC papers. If your very concerned about it being full boxer then I would buy from a reputable breeder that can provide you with all the necessary paperwork including health testing results on the parents. If your not concerned and just are getting a puppy without costs then likely it doesn't matter. The puppy looks very boxer to me, and the brown adult looks boxer to me. I'm not so sure about the adult white/brown one though, kinda looks like it may have some pitt to me, but I could be totally wrong. Chip on here has good knowledge on pitt mixes so maybe he will chime in.
Health testing on boxers American Boxer Club: Recommendations For Health Screening Of Boxers In Breeding Program

The puppy pictured is adorable and I am sure will make a lovely pet.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
LOL, well if that is Mom and Dad? It's easy to see the confusion? But first a "Boiler Plate Disclosure. If you want to be really sure? And you have decided you want "this," puppy? And full Boxer is " that important to you?" Then with this puppy, you could always have a DNA test or ... you know get a puppy from a reputable Breeder.

Now most likely your puppy budget would have to triple? But you would/should get a "Health Tested," puppy from a "Quality Breeder?"

So that much said ... "let's," move on. Now first "per the rule's," You don't breed with White Boxer's. Now say thyere is mostly politics and some BS, behind that! But that is the "RULE." The "White's can't be K9's because they are to easy to see at night? So the White's can't do one of the Job's the dog's were meant to do? (just forget the orginal dog's of war here ...) But that is the why of that.

Back to the parent's and why is one so large and uh different looking? And one is so small and different looking? That one is easy. The dad is a Euro could be British or German? I don't know, so I just default to Euro.

The mom on the other hand look's to be an all American Girl. Compared to there Euro counter parts "obviously," a lot smaller, lighter and a longer muzzle and uh "kind goofy." It's a thing that started ... here after WW ll. So that is why they look different? Different dog's breed for different purposes and the AKC makes no mention of it, near as I can tell?

The Euro's or sigh Germany Boxer's are still the OG (Dog's of War Boxer's) the American Line Boxer's LOL, well ... not so much? Great Watch Dog's still, and almost perfect family pet, for America and that is the "Why," of the changes.

Now as to the Puppy? It looks to be 100 percent Boxer to me? As a puppy I see the classic Egg Shaped head? I don't know of any other breed that has that look? And most likely she will look more like the mom as she get's older.

I doubt she is a "Boxer/Pit," (not that there is anything wrong with that) if you are wondering? The Boxer head ... does not seem to transfer? The Boxer/Pit, has a more wedge like shape and tight flews ... more like my "Bella." :
Dog Collar Carnivore Dog breed Picture frame

Bella is similar in size to the mom you show but not as lean. And a bit more "pig headed," than I would have expected but she does like people. :)

At any rate I would say she is (your puppy?) Boxer to my eye's. But if being 100 percent sure is that important to you? Then spend more to be certain. Or do the DNA before purchase ... if your willing to pay them to hold her till you get result's?

DNA result's would show the dog's chances of developing DM (Degenerative Myelopathy) in Boxer's that is kind of a big deal. And if the parent's are not health tested? They could both be carriers? Easy enough to stop if the owners know "anything?" Don't breed two carriers of the DM gene! But I doubt that know that?

Good luck with your choice but don't get a "Puppy," you won't be happy with. You'd be robbing her of a chance to find a home where she'd be wanted for who she is. Just saying. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts