Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stella is 8 weeks old and I want her to get used to a leash. However, she hates it- chewing on it and laying down when i clip it on her collar.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Re: Is there a sticky here somewhere about leash training?

Walk around with her on it in the house, with a handful of treats.  Talk to her as you walk to get her focus on you, and not the thing attached to her collar.    Get her used to the feel and maybe even use a cat leash because its not that heavy.    Give her some time, its take a bit esp at this age when everything is play play play.

·
Registered
112 Posts

ALso, to keep her from biting at it...you could soak the leash in "bitter apple" (you can buy it at petsmart). It's odorless, but tastes terrible to dogs. Just soak the leash, probably just the 6inches or so that are closest to her mouth, and let it dry. Believe me, she won't bite it anymore.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

She's really young so you need to have some patience...Like Heather said, just let her drag the leash around for a bit, have her follow you..Tons of praise fo reverything and she will start to figure it out...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Patients is correct - this am walking my 10 month old he was biting and playing tug with the lead.   :aua:

So I feel your pain!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts

Like the others said, they just need to get used to it.  leave it on her for a little while.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

Ooooo, I tried the leash with Tango too .. did not go over well either, although, with a bag of treats, it worked a bit better!  All he initally did is sit on his bum and not move. I put the collar on him every day and all he does is try and scratch it off.  I will also try your advice of putting the leash on and letting him drag it around the house ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

we have been leaving it on her non stop. She is warming up to it. If i pick up the slack and hold it up, she'll walk. BUT....if she looks up and sees it, she sits. Crazy dog.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol, yea, these Boxer puppies, they are too smart for their own britches! That's a good start tho, keep at it, lots of praise and it does get better

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Is there a sticky here somewhere about leash training?Up

Just an update. Stella is doing a LOT better on the leash. Now...if we can just stop the freakin biting. I am doing a search on here for that now.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Lol, well one thing at a time..Biting sometimes is a tough one, but there are a few threads on here that you should find helpful...Glad to see that she is improving

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

AHHHHH, the biting!  Isn't it AWFUL!!!!  I look like I've been ravaged by some monster beast!  I am forced to wear shoes in the house and I HATE wearing shoes in the house...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I know what you mean. I just cannot find a clear answer if I should prevent all biting or just hard/painful biting. I dont want her to grow up to be a biter, but I am not sure how long this stage lasts. She will be 11 weeks on Monday.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

If I remember correctly, my Rottweiler was a little biter too and outgrew it.  I was in the park once watching a friend play baseball and an older man came by and he said "you better curb that biting attitude or you're going to have problems".  Never had an issue once he outgrew this phase.  I believe I read somewhere that at about 4 months they should know the difference between hard biting and playing...

My problem is that the more I say "NO", the more he attacks.  He's even learned to flip and roll away from me when he knows I'm going to reach down and grab him.   :roll:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

[quote="msdiamonddawg\";p=\"100435":z07rnrc3]
My problem is that the more I say "NO", the more he attacks.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts

If I ignore him, he just attacks my ankles...it gets to a point where I have to put him in a time out for a couple of minutes.  

When were first thinking of getting a Boxer, my b/f wanted a puppy sooooooooooo bad because he's never had one.  I told him, they are a lot of hard work.   Nah, I can do it.  I'll have him trained in no time!  Sure!!!!!  I asked him today if he wants another puppy or two.  He said...Tango has put the cure on him!  LOL ...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

CosmosMommy\";p=\"92295 said:
ALso, to keep her from biting at it...you could soak the leash in "bitter apple" (you can buy it at petsmart). It's odorless, but tastes terrible to dogs. Just soak the leash, probably just the 6inches or so that are closest to her mouth, and let it dry. Believe me, she won't bite it anymore.
Tastes terrible to people too! :puke:   Don't ask...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts