Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I took my daughter and Cactus and we did the Make A Wish Walk, donated money, walked with child in stroller and dog on my arm.... super fun- if anyone ever has a chance to do it, I think you should jump on it... anyway, tons of people were enthralled and enchanted with both my darling daughter and my dog...... but this one man came up and was telling me how someone he knew raised boxers and as he is babbling on, he reaches down to a "spot" on Cactus' chest which as soon as he rubbed, Cactus jumped up and licked the guy (a pleasant reaction).  So I tried finding that "spot" today.  I found something where if I rub it, it looks like the skin on his shoulders pulls to one side, he sticks his head out like a horse (if you've ever found a spot on a horse you know what I mean) and then his back leg twitches as if to itch something.......

Questions:

Do most boxers have this spot- to one side of the large bone (I assume it is the sternum) on the front of their chest- that makes them react as if they are ticklish?

If so, what is it all about? or why?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Re: Is there a such thing as a "spot" on most boxe

I haven't, but I guess I haven't tried.  I will check it our with mine.  Sounds like a wonderful time at Make A Wish.  I bet Cactus just loved that attention!

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Now that's a new one on me Anne, but you got me curious now, going to have to check my 2 out and see...The walk sounded like a lot of fun and good socialization for Cactus too...I know the big boy behaved himself, didn't he?  :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Actually Cactus did not do so well in the big crowd.  He kept pulling at other dogs.  It was an eye opener for me in that he is so well trained/behaved in other situations that I just take it for granted that he will be in others.  I am going to get him to more large groups like that and concentrate on keeping him extra good when it is us.

Let me know if you both find that spot on your dogs!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

i have never heard of a "spot" per say. If you got this one place on Chloe's hind leg she would start just a wiggling around. I guess that could have been her "spot" not sure thoug. Guess anything is possible really!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts

Anne, one of the things that I suspected about Samson, but got confirmed when we went to a boxer meetup last month was that he does not do well with a large pack of dogs.. One on one, he does very well, but he was on the defensive the whole time, snarled at all the dogs and was lunging...Cactus could very well be the same. Not all boxers are social animals..Lol...So when I go to our next meetup this w/end, Samson will stay at home with Marq and I will take Angel...

Watch his body reactions closely..If his ears go down or back, he kinda slouches, he's not comfortable..I can read Samson very well and it was my fault that I didn't pick up on this earlier..Also the whole experience could have been too much for Cactus..Big crowds can be a bit intimidating...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cactus does play very well with other dogs because I take him to the dog park daily (I don't have a yard so that is part of his exercise in addition to our morning run or bike ride).  I think he was overwhelmed by all the people.  Do you have any of your good thinking to share with me on that?  He acts like someone who forgets their manners because they are so excited.......

·
Registered
107 Posts

cassieqh, that spot you mentioned on dogs they get ticklish it is right above their ribs on the side, all dogs do,lol and they even smile when you do it to them.

My other Boxer that passed away when he got sick (Kidney failure) he done it also on his own scratching with his hind leg the doctor told me try not to let him do it but I dont't know why.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The way this guy reached down and got an immediate and big reaction out of Cactus I just thought there was a certain spot only on boxers.......  who knows- maybe that guy got lucky.  Cactus does have a good one on his chest though- has anyone tried rubbing or scratching just to the right of the chest bone under their head, in between the front legs but on the front of the chest.....

·
Registered
28 Posts

I've never heard of there being a particular spot limited to just Boxers... I do know many dogs (if not all) are quite ticklish under their armpits & will get all excited when you scratch them there... usually right behind the front leg is a great spot. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts