Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why it is considered ok to cull puppies just because they are white?(but otherwise healthy like my Mic or our new girl Zuri) Why are there no laws to protect them from that sort of thinking? It just seems like such a waste to me...  :cry:  

Thanks for letting me vent...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have a child that was born with downs syndrome and most of the things that have been said here in this forum about breed discrimination, breed bans, culling white puppies, not knowing the difference between a pitbull and a boxer, byb, etc. can be said about human beings.  It is just plain ignorance.  My daughter is 30 yrs. old now, but I've lived with people crossing the street so they don't have to talk to me, or not knowing what to say, and discrimination.  And, I have had to educate myself and the people we met in our lives.  There are no easy answers, except to arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can to fight indifference and prejudice one person at a time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As with most problems in our society, they usually stem from a lack of education or just miseducation!
Very unfortunate when the result to that are lives lost.
It hurts my heart to even think of unfair, cold and uncaring we can be as a species especially to other species who are most certainly our responsibility should we wish to co exist with them!
Im all for state, county and or even federal penalties applied to people who euthanize animals in such a heartless manner!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Actually it's not considered OK these days by the majority of responsible breeders.  Originally, it was thought that a bitch couldn't care for more than six puppies, so large litters were culled down; during the Wars, economics came into play - rationing was only provided for potential war dogs, and whites were not a part of this group.  Over the next few decades, it became a common thought that white Boxers were prone to several major health problems, and euthanizing at birth was considered more kind than allowing them to live with a severely impaired and possibly pain-filled quality of life.  Today, we know that the only health issue that is more prevalent in white Boxers is deafness, and that even that only affects a little less than one in five dogs.  

(Now, in a technical sense whites are still 'culled', since they are removed from the gene pool, but these days it's done via speuter/non-breeding contracts, rather than euthanization.)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Excellent explanation Jennifer.  That is how it should be done.  Unfortunatey, those people that are in it for the money or the glory have no use for what they see as "less than."  So educating people is still a good way to go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I thought they just neutered / spayed any white puppies before they let them go on to a family.  I didn't realize they were killing some of them...I'll have to let my sister know, maybe she can find a white boxer puppy to save.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts