Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sweet guy was picked up as a stray and was never claimed. I brought him home as part of a foster program. He's a very laid back guy. We were told that he is assumed to be a boxer mix. What do you think? Is he part boxer?
We're calling him Max. With the dog is my son Jacob (in his socker uniform).

Kalyn

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Honestly in that last pic I can see the boxer in him! Reguardless of what he is hes a cutie!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Looks like he might have some boxer in him especially in the last pic.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i would say he has a little boxer in him, not a whole lot though. Maybe like mom or dad was half so that gives about a quarter...i could be wrong though. He is a cutie

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He uses his front paws when playing with his ball like a boxer does but he is definately NOT as high energy as most boxers.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
The last picture he does look boxerish but his tail looks more hunting dog.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Soccergk1987\";p=\"115012 said:
he kinda has a setter tail
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. He gets really serious when he sees a bird. Might be part pointer. The ticking and markings on his head are much like a pointer but his head structure looks similar to the boxer.

Kalyn, Max, & Jacob

·
Registered
148 Posts
The last pic you can see some boxer in him, but not much.  I heard the other day that they can actually find out through DNA, now, exactly what breed or mix of breeds your dogs may have.  They said it would be helpful to know for health reasons.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's interesting. I never thought of having a dog DNA tested but it does make a lot of sense when considering health issues. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Kalyn\";p=\"116960 said:
That's interesting. I never thought of having a dog DNA tested but it does make a lot of sense when considering health issues. Thanks everyone for your input.

Are you keeping Max, or just fostering him till he finds a forever home?

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
Hes a really cute boy. :D

Def a bit of Boxer/Pointer in him, i agree with the others, the last pic is very Boxerish. No matter because he is really really cute and looks like he is already a big part of the family! :D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's yet to be decided. I want to keep him but my husband is not convinced. He says the cat has seniority. We are trying to socialize him to the kitty.  We were told that is is fine with cats, which would probably be true if the cat would sit still. However, the cat sees the dog and runs so of course the dog chases. My son, who thought he was helping, came carrying the cat into the family room where I was sitting in the floor playing with Max. The cat hissed and twisted out of his hands and the dog took out after him. Poor kitty was so frightened that he hid under my bed, refusing to come out for nearly 4 hours. If I can just get Max to ignore Rufie, life would be good. I don't expect them to become best friends, just not injure each other!
Max has really made great strides since we've had him. Initially, he had no idea about playing. I got several toys for him and we've been working with him daily on play. He won't even pick up the Kong with peanut butter in it. I was really suprised. He won't try to get a frisby but will chase after some balls. I got him a goose that honks and this has become his favorite toy. I'll ask, "where's the goose?" or "get the goose" and he goes for it. He has learned to go up and down stairs. Initially, I had to push from behind, moving each paw to get him upstairs. Now he is going up and down at will. He has learned that he must sit inside the door before he gets the leash off and that he must allow me to wipe his feet. He still has lots to learn but I am confident that he can get there. He really is a sweet guy. I really think that we will keep him permanently.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I think you guys giving him a home is probably the best gift anyone has even given him and im sure within time him and Kitty will learn to love each other. Dogs and Cats can have strange relationships. :D

My brother and his patner just a second cat, they absolutly hated each other, the cats that is, and they had to be seperated at first and then greetings with supervision, if you saw them now, two months on, they are bestest friends, eat together, sleep together and cuddle up on the couch together, they just needed time to adapt. :D

They prob like each other really, they just put on a cat vs Dog show for the skin family :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
He looks more like he is part American Bulldog rather than boxer to me.  That would account for the longer nose and small jowl droopage.  I see a lot of AB's with brindle spots like that around the eyes.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Is this a Boxer? *Update*

[quote="brchristians\";p=\"117056":3v3fuh94]He looks more like he is part American Bulldog rather than boxer to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts