Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
That really needs to be seen by a Vet! It could be very serious and needs to be removed and biopsied! It may be nothing but Boxers are prone to cancer and it pays to be overly cautious.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
My boy had something very similar in almost the same spot (right where the vaccination injections go). The vet checked it out and said it was a tumour that inside the leg was spider veined throughout the muscle so removal would do major damage to the leg, require months of rehab and with no guarantee of getting it all.
Like yours my dog didn't seem bothered by it at all and it didn't impede his movement either. Since he was already 7 when we noticed it we decided that the surgery wasn't a good idea. At age 10 it was about the size of an egg but in the next 6 months it grew to the size of an orange and then one day it burst. I came home to a bleeding dog and a very messy house. Even with the bleeding Tydis still showed no interest in it, not crying or licking at it, he was just happy to see me home as usual and wanted his breakfast.
I rushed him to the emergency vet and after about 20 min they got the bleeding stopped but it was decided that the best treatment was to put him down as they knew the bleeding would just start up again and they were worried about septic shock.
Talk to your vet about it, perhaps they can remove it without too much damage to the leg but if not, I'm sure you dog will remain happy and otherwise healthy until the day may come when it bursts or tears open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for a concise explaination. Ours is also about 8 (got from pound at age 2). I will talk to vet. Thanks again. Sure wish we could keep her longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My boy had something very similar in almost the same spot (right where the vaccination injections go). The vet checked it out and said it was a tumour that inside the leg was spider veined throughout the muscle so removal would do major damage to the leg, require months of rehab and with no guarantee of getting it all.
Like yours my dog didn't seem bothered by it at all and it didn't impede his movement either. Since he was already 7 when we noticed it we decided that the surgery wasn't a good idea. At age 10 it was about the size of an egg but in the next 6 months it grew to the size of an orange and then one day it burst. I came home to a bleeding dog and a very messy house. Even with the bleeding Tydis still showed no interest in it, not crying or licking at it, he was just happy to see me home as usual and wanted his breakfast.
I rushed him to the emergency vet and after about 20 min they got the bleeding stopped but it was decided that the best treatment was to put him down as they knew the bleeding would just start up again and they were worried about septic shock.
Talk to your vet about it, perhaps they can remove it without too much damage to the leg but if not, I'm sure you dog will remain happy and otherwise healthy until the day may come when it bursts or tears open.
You have a boxer and a great dane. How did you get them both to not fight? Did they work out who was dominant one?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I don't have a Great Dane.
I had a 6 yr old female Doberman when I rescued my male Boxer who was 14 months old at the time. Both dogs got along amazingly well, best friends from the day they met. You run into problems when you try to have 2 dogs of the same sex in a household as they compete for rank within the family pack.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't give up on your dog yet, you may still have her for a while pending what the vet finds that was great of you to adopt her from the pound.

·
Super Moderator
7,046 Posts
I agree that needs to be removed and sent off for biopsy. It does not look like a cyst to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a Great Dane.
I had a 6 yr old female Doberman when I rescued my male Boxer who was 14 months old at the time. Both dogs got along amazingly well, best friends from the day they met. You run into problems when you try to have 2 dogs of the same sex in a household as they compete for rank within the family pack.
Of course, Doberman. Don't know what I was thinking. They both look great together.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't give up on your dog yet, you may still have her for a while pending what the vet finds that was great of you to adopt her from the pound.
Thanks for encouraging words. I couldn't believe I found a pure boxer at the pound for $5. Now I have a boxer stray that has become friends with mine. We live in a camper trailer so no room for another. She was malnourished when we first came upon her. She has scars on her back and a growth behind her neck. She is still wary of humans when on her own but when with my boxer loses all her inhibitions. I will get boxer rescue out.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Its really terrible what people do to dogs it never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be. I hope you can get boxer rescue or some rescue to help that dog no dog should have to live like that. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its really terrible what people do to dogs it never ceases to amaze me how cruel people can be. I hope you can get boxer rescue or some rescue to help that dog no dog should have to live like that. Thanks
Don't worry. She is in good hands. Boxer rescue comes tomorrow but someone on RV park is interested because everyone has fallen in love with her. Such a sweet temperament just wanting human company. Its amazing what just a little love can accomplish. Her wariness has gone. She slept in our RV last night. Obviously house trained.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE; Vet removed growths. He suggested we have a biopsy bree cyst before op.jpg bree cyst before op1.jpg to check if cancerous. We said no because we couldn't afford the cure if a problem. I have added photos of how large they became before being removed. Operation cost $350 plus extra for blood work. I thought this was very reasonable. She is doing well and doesn't seem to notice she has had an operation. bree cyst before op.jpg bree cyst before op1.jpg bree looking sideways.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE; Vet removed growths. He suggested we have a biopsy View attachment 136104 View attachment 136105 to check if cancerous. We said no because we couldn't afford the cure if a problem. I have added photos of how large they became before being removed. Operation cost $350 plus extra for blood work. I thought this was very reasonable. She is doing well and doesn't seem to notice she has had an operation. View attachment 136104 View attachment 136105 View attachment 136107
Sorry. I didn't add photos very well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
My golden had almost the same looking growth on his hind leg. Got it removed (he was 10 at the time) It turned out to be cancerous but the vet said it was such a low grade and not an aggressive cancer, that he said he wouldn't treat it because he would pass from old age before the cancer. He was right.

Don't want to say its the same, and obviously some can be more aggressive than others, but looks almost identical to what my boy had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My golden had almost the same looking growth on his hind leg. Got it removed (he was 10 at the time) It turned out to be cancerous but the vet said it was such a low grade and not an aggressive cancer, that he said he wouldn't treat it because he would pass from old age before the cancer. He was right.

Don't want to say its the same, and obviously some can be more aggressive than others, but looks almost identical to what my boy had.
Thanks for that reassuring comment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts