Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

is this "dog pack" behavior?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ReekosMom 
#1 ·
here lately morgan has been waiting for jack to finish eating before she'll touch her food. used to be she'd inhale it before it reached the bowl. but now she'll sniff it, look at jack as he's eating then she'll walk away. she'll go back and eat a minute or two later after jack is done. i've never seen that before. is she doing that because she's got a lesser rank in the dog pack that is our family?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, that's it.
Do they eat out of separate bowls or one?
I put down two bowls for dinner and Mongo watches to see which bowl Maggie goes to and then he heads for the other. Halfway through Maggie changes her mind and wants Mongo's bowl and he immediately gives it up to her and then goes to her bowl. Unfortunately for Mongo, Maggie sometimes changes her mind several times (It's a woman's perogative to change her mind after all) and each time Mongo retreats to the other bowl, but then when there is only food left in one bowl they actually share. :crazy:

#5 ·
My shepherd does that ( once a week or so ) with my boxer. When the boxer is done, and he goes to her food, she puts the run on him and then she eats. I am going to start feeding in the kennels again, at the same time. Everyone gobbles fast in the kennels. For my shepherd, it is a game when she is not that hungry. Or it is about restating that she is boss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.