Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

is this normal?

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mybox1 
#1 ·
is it normal for a dog to poo EVERY time it goes out to the bathroom?? Savannah poo's twice a day....morning and night.  Reese though will poo each and every time we take the girls out. she will make a small pile, then get distracted and then finish in a second spot. i take her three times on days i work. morning, when i get home around 715 and then again around 930-10. my boyfriend takes her out roughly twice while i am at work. so she is pooing estimated 5 times a day, and she is 7 months!! i dont think that is normal, just seems like a lot.

#2 ·
It does seem like a lot... hmm... don't think I'm of any help though. Odin goes twice a day. Kyrie goes more like 3 or 4 times a day... sometimes more. I also think she goes a lot but she's not even 4 months old. You feed them the same food right? If not that could be part of the issue but... hmmm... sorry I'm of no help. lol You could always ask your vet and see what they say. Hope some one else can help out more.

#3 ·
Dogs are just like people...some people go once a day, some people go 4 times a day.

I wouldn't be worried as long as your dog seems to have control over going...I'd be more worried if he didn't go than if he went frequently.

--

And yes, I asked my vet because Ares will poo 3-4 times a day.  She said that's normal.  She called it a "healthy digestive track" lol.

#6 ·
I am trying to get Kiah on a food that agrees with her (vet says food alergies).  I find that each time we change a food, her poo habits change.  On Solid Gold she poos 4-5 times a day but soft, on Canidae it was at least 7-8 times a day but more solid. Timberwolf is a little better but she throws up more. I emailed the breeder that I considered getting a puppy from to ask what she feeds her dogs and will try what she recommends next.  She has to have experience with sensitive tummies.

#7 ·
I have no idea what's normal for your dog.  Maybe you could keep a journal of when she goes.  I find with Kane he does the same thing, If I take him out less he goes less and the stool is firmer.  If I take him out more often, he goes more often.  I'm thinking he could hold it longer if he had to, but as long as he doesn't he just goes.  Because I'm usually home all day, I try and keep him on a regular schedule so it keeps him consistent.  But have been trying to cut down on the number of walks just to see if he really needs to go that often.

#8 ·
Tango seems to go quite often too.  He is only 13 weeks so I think it is just part of his growing process.  I will be interested to see if he still goes a lot after getting him switched over to his new food.  He was on Science Diet and is going to Canidae.

#9 ·
Both of mine usually go 3 times a day, first thing in the morning, mid day and after dinner...Sometimes they may go one more time, usually depends on how much exercise they get.... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.