Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my daughter comes up to me today and tells me she is fat!! she said that she needs to stop drinking soda's because those are making her have a big belly  8O  She is 7, and the smallest girl in the first grade (her grade) she wears a size6, but that is only cause she needs the length in the pants...she HAS to wear a belt or else they will fall off and is still in a 5 shirt. How can she be worried about weight now.....at such a young age!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
That is not good. No child should ever have to worry about being fat or thinking they are.
Thank you again to media these days and your twisted views on "perfection".

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
throw away her barbie dolls if she has any, yes I'm one of those people that believes those promote self esteem issues with their unrealistic look :) other than that maybe try to figure out why she says that? did someone call her that at school? did she overhear someone else get teased and became self conscious? poor girl that is scary that they mature so fast... it's too fast....

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Wow! That's crazy! I wonder where she got that from!? I mean I guess that's great if my kid came up to me and said that she wanted to eat healthier because she wants to be healthy and fit (not saying that your daughter is not). But to come up to you and say because she's fat!??? Wow... I would be stunned... and she sounds small! The sizes!

Crap on TV these days... that's what I worry about when Sarah gets older... but I was more thinking preteen... not SEVEN! My neighbors 10 yr old is heavy... by like 15lbs which is a lot for a 10 yr old. She said the doctor suggested she be put on a diet... but she's worried she's going to give her daughter a complex when she doesn't have one right now. I would worry about how to deal with that too.

I think I should get rid of the TV sometimes! I was watching the neighbors kids and the suite life of zack and cody was on. Umm... the super rich girl liked a "poor" guy (who was UPPER middle class) and pretended to be "poor" like him. She also called the other girl "poor" who had REALLY NICE clothing... something a "poor" kid would NOT have. And then Zoey 101!! OMG!! Why are these shows on TV!! They are putting crazy thoughts/ideas in our children's heads!!!

Sorry I'm not trying to change topic... I think it all fits in together... I'm so sorry your little girl is worrying about that already... did she say why/who/how it came about!?

G

·
0 Posts
When these kids are bombarded with super models, barbies, bratz, my scene dolls, etc...what do you expect them to think...and it keeps hitting younger...Bratz are geared to 6 to 12 year olds...right where your daughter is...

·
Registered
977 Posts
I totally agree with what you're saying and i don't have kids!! But i will add that i do believe soda's should be an occasional drink (for adults & kids) not the everyday with every meal drink.  They really are full of crap. Does your daughter drink a lot of soda or something for her to say she wants to give it up:? ?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
My son has been saying he's fat for 8 years.  That's since he was 6!!!!
I've told him repeatedly he is the skinniest kid in school, he is not fat, and does not need to loose weight.
He likes his food too much to seriously diet, thank God!

He's so weird!  He'll bend over at the waist and lift up his shirt and say "look at all that fat".  I'm like dude!  It's skin!  There's no fat on him.  He's 14 now.  Five feet, nine inches tall and weighs 100 pounds.  When I was his age, I was five foot, ten inches and weighed 95 pounds.  So it runs in the fam to be skinny.  So I really don't know where he gets it from!

Good luck with your little girl.  I guess just keep reassuring her that she's not fat.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
It is so sad now a days that kids are subjected to such things.  The other thing that bothers me is girls wanting to wear something SEXY at that age.  Not sure they know the meaning of sexy just that it is the thing to be.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We rarely have soda or candy in my house. That has been like that since she was a baby. I prefer she drink water (we buy the flavor add in's so we can spice it up from time to time) and then juice or tea. I also dont let her have barbies...cant stand the doll myself!! She had bratz for a while but those things are soooo unproportionate!! It just makes me sad. She says she wants to eat healthy and exercise, and for the most part she goes on my walks with me when i take the dogs. I knew this would happen eventually, but ididnt expect this soon!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
My 5 year old niece was playing barbies with my other 5 yr old nieces one day and holds the doll up and goes "does this dress make me look fat?" My jaw about hit the floor. I couldn't believe she had just said that, she's FIVE! where does she come up with that?!

Hearing stories like yours and then hearing my niece makes me scared to have kids...there are just so many negative influences anymore.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It is a crazy world and I think having a daughter sometimes scares me to death.  Fortunantly I have not had the issue with her saying she is fat, but she tells me and her dad all the time that we are  :lol:  :lol: ....She is a skinny stringbean who can eat non-stop.  Much like your daughter she is in a size 5T shirt and 5 pants fit her in the waist but not the legs so we have to get a 6 with a belt....

However, she is going to be obsessed with boys!!!!!!!!  She talks about them all the time, they are so cute, he is so funny....blah blah blah....I told her little boys smell bad (no offense to moms of boys) and she tells me....oh no....he smells good....she talks about wanting to look sexy.  It is crazy!!!! It did not start until she started school and I think alot of it has to do with the fact that she rides the bus with older kids!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"95550 said:
It is a crazy world and I think having a daughter sometimes scares me to death.  Fortunantly I have not had the issue with her saying she is fat, but she tells me and her dad all the time that we are  :lol:  :lol: ....She is a skinny stringbean who can eat non-stop.  Much like your daughter she is in a size 5T shirt and 5 pants fit her in the waist but not the legs so we have to get a 6 with a belt....

However, she is going to be obsessed with boys!!!!!!!!  She talks about them all the time, they are so cute, he is so funny....blah blah blah....I told her little boys smell bad (no offense to moms of boys) and she tells me....oh no....he smells good....she talks about wanting to look sexy.  It is crazy!!!! It did not start until she started school and I think alot of it has to do with the fact that she rides the bus with older kids!
LOL THAT'S SO FUNNY! "No mom... he smells good!" LOL

My neighbors middle girl (7 yrs old) was paid $5 to play with a little boy at school. Is that crazy!??  Oh and my neighbor watches Sarah ever once and a while and once I went over and she had sprite in her cup. She's 2 1/2!! I asked politely not to give her soda anymore. Milk or juice... water would be nice but Sarah REFUSES to drink it! She's SOOO picky like her daddy!!

I don't know why kids would say they look fat if they aren't. Though on a lot of those kids shows... those cute, super skinny little girls say it... so maybe that's why. It's HORRIBLE! Those shows really tick me off!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts