Looks and sounds like an allergic reaction. The vet will probably have to give her some sort of shot to neautralize her system like a Depo/Pen injection maybe even a lite steriod like Tem-P tablets....It the meantime it may help to use some Hydrocortisone cream on her spots. It is okay if she licks the cream and may give her some relief....You could also try soaking her feet (and rubbing under her arm pits with baking soda and water to help also......
Besides the skin reaction here is a good article to include when talking to housing:
Mushroom toxicity does occur in dogs and it can be fatal if certain species
of mushrooms are eaten. Amanita phalloides is the most commonly reported
severely toxic species of mushroom in the US but other Amanita species are
toxic. They can cause severe liver disease and neurologic disorders. The
recommendation is to induce vomiting when these mushrooms are ingested and
to give activated charcoal, as well. Supportive treatment for liver disease
may also be necessary.
There are probably species of mushrooms with less toxicity but enough to
induce the milder symptoms you are seeing. Inducing vomiting would still be
a good idea, I think, when these species of mushroom are eaten. It is
possible to induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide given in small amounts
until the dog vomits or by using syrup of ipecac (it takes about 1 teaspoon
of ipecac syrup per 10 lbs. of body weigh to induce vomiting, on the
average so it can be hard to give enough of this --- and overdosage can
cause heart problems so it does have to be measured). Apomorphine is a
good choice for inducing vomiting, too -- but usually only available
through your vet and it is pretty expensive.
So Sorry, Ky...I feel your pain! (For those of you who don't live in that climate...things LITERALLY pop up overnight in Hawaii...you could mow your grass every three days or less and still have it be too long!)
The mushrooms are the worst...we'll be praying for Isis! Hang in there, Ky! And, keep us posted...
Mic and INdy and Pua send boxer kisses and hugs her way!
goin to wait until dawn tomorrow morning and dig up a few WITH roots and bag them...take them with me to the vet so they can be tested along with the soil...hubby made a good point that alot of the stuff here including grass seed fertilizer etc may have been shipped in...
need a name for these mushrooms but cant find..still trying
Poor Isis - hope she is feeling better soon! I remember my first Boxer ate a mushroom as a pup up in the Hill Country. As I was trying to get it out of his mouth, he just fell over! Then, he started vomiting. I was freaking out - my husband scooped him up and we rushed him to the emergency clinic there. They gave him some kind of mineral oil or castor oil to make him vomit. Gosh, that was so scary. At least Isis is older and isn't grabbing everything in site like a pup does...Hope she is better real soon.
Here are a few articles I found about mushrooms in lawns. I don't see what the housing could really do- it seems almost impossible to eradicate them, and even if you did, spores can be blown in from neighboring yards... How long have they been there? The shrooms around here only come at certain times, and aren't always present- they are actually the "fruit" of the large organism and likely all the mushrooms in your yard are connected under the ground. I know it sucks but they probably won't (or be able to) do anything about it. It would be like trying to remove pollen or bees or something from a yard- Can't really do it.
I would send a sample to a university or county extension for identification- then you will know more about how to protect Isis. Surely the mushrooms won't last forever and the vet can give you something to help her in the meantime. Best of luck, and sorry she has to go through this. Your other dog isn't affected?
An excerpt from the 2nd link:
[align=justify] The part of a mushroom that we see aboveground is its "fruit" and may contain thousands of tiny seeds called spores. Each spore grows a threadlike root when it falls to the ground, and the roots from many spores weave a huge underground web. Whenever two roots from different spores meet, they can join to make a new mushroom.
To get rid of your mushrooms, you'd have to remove all the dirt that contains either roots or spores. (By the way, you may be spreading both when you shovel them 'shrooms.')
Even if you found a poison that would wipe out this batch of mushrooms, airborne spores of the same species (or another species) could easily grow more mushrooms in the same spot as long as conditions are favorable.
Your best long-term solutions? Change the environment or build a garden around the mushrooms.[/align]
OOOUUCCHH! Poor baby girl, that armpit really looks sore Hope the vet can help with IDing the mushrooms. WHAT is the housing dept thinking????? Other animals or little kids maybe be at risk and they're doing nothing????? Outrageous!
Sending all kinds of healing vibes and boxer wiggles to Isis, get better soon baby.
ok so our other complaint is that we were told do not touch the yard its under contract with landscapers..ya you can see how they do on that...havent cut it at all so its hard to see the mushrooms...well i jsut went out there and there are THREE different kinds !!!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..the first ones then these 2 ...good lord !!!!!!!!111
ya we take them to the beach when we surf atleast twice a week...if not more...but everyday well have to walk them down the street to the park..which is a pain b/c there are a few idiots that have aggressive dogs that go there...Isis is very submissive and does not hear a warning growl as shes deaf...so Onyx goes ballistic protecting her..not a good scene...other dog parks around are good...
well take them later today out...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..new house huge yard and then this...still waiting on cancellation from vet to get her intoday..if not then tomorrow is her appt