Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

It is not just the heat but the humidity

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  samsonsmom 
#1 ·
I wanted to share this with you guys!!!!

A lady named Nyleen is no stranger to traveling with dogs. She had shown dogs in her youth. So she was used to taking dogs on road trips with crates and bottled water. She understood how to keep dogs comfortable no matter where they were going or how they were getting there. She had traveled with her dogs for years across the country and back many times. She never imagined losing them.

She always avoided traveling alone in the hot summer months, but this one particular trip was business. After spending a week in Philadelphia, where the dogs had stayed in the air-conditioned hotel room, it was time to move on. She headed for home driving down the coast to Virginia and stopped in Delaware. Nyleen thought she would spend some time sightseeing and because she couldn't take the dogs with her, left them crated in the car. It was overcast outside and not hot, but Nyleen put a fan on her dogs and cracked the windows. When she returned, they were both dead.

Nyleen couldn't understand what happened. She was no novice and the weather was fine. She got her answer at the vet's office. The high humidity in the area was especially dangerous. Even if it wasn't especially hot outside, the humidity could get high enough to create conditions in a car where animals suffocate.

It's a horrible way to learn this lesson. Nyleen doesn't think she'll ever get over it. She hopes at least that everyone will read her story and not have to learn the hard way. She pleads, "Never, ever, for any reason or any length of time, leave your dog in the car even if you dont think it is hot".

See less See more
#2 ·
What a tragic ending, but a good lesson for all. Too many times I see dogs left in cars while the owners are eating dinner or shopping. Just another one of my many pet peeves! Even if there is no chance in the dog over heating or freezing to death, I will never understand how someone could leave an animal in the car. Another thing is dogs in the back of a pick-up. Just don't get people sometimes. Alrighty, I'll step off my soap box for now. Thanks for sharing that Sharon.

#3 ·
tootsie\";p=\"55955 said:
Another thing is dogs in the back of a pick-up. Just don't get people sometimes. Alrighty, I'll step off my soap box for now. Thanks for sharing that Sharon.
Where we live that is a big thing....It is not uncommon anytime you go get in your car and go anywhere that you will see a dog in the back of a truck somewhere.  While I was out yesterday, I saw a dog that looked to be a blue tick **** dog, not only in the back of the truck, but standing on top of the metal toolbox in the back of the truck....Now this was on the highway where the speed is 65mph....I thought to myself man that dog has some balance!!!!

But, I have also seem more then a few that were doing the same thing and they came in for broken legs, broken ribs, broken pelvis, stitches, you name it....all from falling out or jumping out of the truck...We even had one that jumped out of the truck bed and was ran over by another car.....The worst I can recall is a man that tied his dog to the bed of the truck so that he would not jump out....the problem was he did not make the line short enough not to reach the side of the truck, so when the dog jumped he was hanging off the side of the truck and it killed the dog (broke his neck) before the man could stop.....

I am not a fan of of them being in the bed of a truck either.....and you don't know how many times I have heard people say "My dog has rode back there since he was a puppy and never jumped out" As they are sitting at our hospital with a dog who is hurt or about to....It is very sad!!!!

#4 ·
There is a guy around here that has some type of hearding shepherd dog that is always on the flat bed of his pick up. The dog just hangs out back there, I have a picture of it while we're going down the highway at 70 mph. I can't yet decide if it's stupid or just a really well trained dog, bc the dog was definately holding its own with no leash and b/c it was a flat bed it's not like it was being held in by anything.

#5 ·
That is so sad and a terrible way to learn a lesson; I am paranoid about dogs being left in cars, Kiah only gets to ride when we are going some place where I am taking her or where she can come in.  One thing I will have to say about this area, is that a lot of the trucks here have camper tops so the dogs are a bit safer unless they leave the camper window open.

#6 ·
Thanks for that reminder Sharon....Funny thing about the dogs in the back of the truck, when we left the dealership last nite, what was in front of us? Yup a pickup, gate down and a "wanna be Pitt" in the back roped to the side!!! Marq was fuming, I thought he was going to run the guy off the road and take the dog away, that's how angry he was.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.