Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, can't take them both at the same time, so it was Angel's turn today....Vet said she is in great health altho would like to see her lose a couple pounds, she weighs 53 lbs...Said she had the prettiest confirmation he had seen in awhile :) Took her shots like a champ and we made an appt for microchipping as well..

Sharon, got a question for you tho...Have you heard of Comfortis? It's an oral flea med, supposed to be very effective..He suggested that we switch from advantix to that....

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
WTG Angel, sounds like your trip to the vet went well  :D It's ok about the extra couple "holiday" lbs, a girls gotta have a LITTLE winter weight :wink: Never heard of the new flea med, any special reason the vet recommended it?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Good girl Angel, great check up.  Don't worry I always put on a couple of pounds during the winter.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"65190 said:
Sharon, got a question for you tho...Have you heard of Comfortis? It's an oral flea med, supposed to be very effective..He suggested that we switch from advantix to that....

Glad Angel's visit went well......

I know of Comfortis and will tell you everything I know good and bad....Personally I have not used it and at this time have not decided to sell it, so everything I say is from research and what the drug reps have told me.

It is a new product once a month flea pill for dogs over 14 weeks old, it just came out in 2007, it works on the same concept as the CapStar pill, which you may have heard of, but unlike Capstar is suppose to last for a month.  It is being advertised as the "once a month flea treatment, without the oily liquid" as frontline and advantix are....I think it is only sold in a six month supply and on figuring price we were estimating having to charge about $65 t0 $70 dollar a box for it.

It is given once a month by mouth and kills fleas. It kills fleas only. That is one reason I am not sold on it and am not selling it...we have to many ticks around here to not have something treating for fleas and ticks and lets face it going back to tick collars is a major step backwards...also keep in mind you will also lose the skeeter med's from the advantix as well.  

It has to be given on a full stomach and is also beef and pork flavored so if a dog has food allergy to either, it cant be used.

The side effects noted:

Testing was on 50 dogs.....12% of dogs vomited after taking it the first time, 5% had a reduced appetite and another 5% having diarrhea. It said the numbers were less after repeat doses of the med's (2nd and 3rd months)

It should not be used in dogs who have any type of seizure disorders, it was shown to cause them to have one after taking the med's and they dont really know why, they just tell us that, dogs with seizure disorders should use a different flea control product.

The product is not to be used in pregnant or nursing females. During initial testing it was given to pregnant and nursing mothers and some problems listed were loss of litter during pregnancy, poor weight gain of puppies, and vomiting.

There are some long term questions regarding issues with the liver, but most of them are no different then taking any med's.

That is really about what I know......So without personal use I cant really say one way or the other.....I can say that I am a little worried about products that are not safe for younger pups, preg and nursing mothers and in areas where there are fleas, ticks and skeeters having no extra protection and now days that is pretty much everywhere.....

If I were to sell it then I am sure I would say the same thing as your vet....Lets try it, it is the new big thing and keep in mind his clinic now has a shelf full they need to sell.  When we calculated the cost to buy it...there are four sizes...12 boxes to a "sleeve" at about $50.00 a box....That is a $2500 investment that has to be made with the drug company just to carry the product.....

My thing is that I am not sure how I would convience a client that it is better then Advantix or Frontline because I dont think it is better! I will live with the oily spot to have more coverage..... :D

Hope that helps!!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That helps greatly Sharon and I was under the impression from what he said that it DID cover ticks, but if it doesn't, that won't work for me as we do have ticks and no I don't want to lose the mosquito meds either, so we shall stay with the Advantix....here's the prices for the Comfortis, $88 for a 6 month supply for Samson & $81 for a 6 month supply for Angel, rather pricey huh? Considering I get the Advantix online for waayyy less  :)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Happy to hear a clean bill of health for our Miss Angel!  :D

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"65215":edpp636s]That helps greatly Sharon and I was under the impression from what he said that it DID cover ticks, but if it doesn't, that won't work for me as we do have ticks and no I don't want to lose the mosquito meds either, so we shall stay with the Advantix....here's the prices for the Comfortis, $88 for a 6 month supply for Samson & $81 for a 6 month supply for Angel, rather pricey huh? Considering I get the Advantix online for waayyy less

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) I started usind "Comfortis" about 5 days ago. My dog has NO more fleas, they seem to die soon after they get on him, and although the price IS a little steep, it's sort of worth it seeing my dog relax again. The one sort of bothersome and time consuming thing is that I also HAD TO spray the carpeting and furniture with a flea killer. If he develops ticks then I will have to go back to the vet. You can buy alot of this stuff online. Oil on me and my dog? ....PLEASE!

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
yayyyy Angel, and blahhhhhh whats a couple of lbs :lol:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Way to go Angel!!!! Don't worry about those " beauty pounds" You've gotta keep warm in the winter somehow. :lol:

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Oh Willow; I seriously did a double take when I read the above posts...and then the responses...a year later!! When I saw what you wrote about prices for Angel and Samson...and then read on where someone said something about Flick, I thought I was in the twilight zone!! Had to go back and look at the date on the original post.
Yup, I'm a dork!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts