Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tyson makes me and my daughter itch, generally when we come in contact with him. I thought it was just us ,but my sister had the same reaction to his fur when she came to visit.  We use an organic oatmeal shampoo on him that is vet recommended. We usually medicate ourselves with otc allergy meds and that works but, I am confused are we having an allergic reaction to his fur or some kind of dander? TFunny thing is it is occasional not every day? T yson sleeps with me too so sometimes i am consumed by the reaction. Im certain it is not fleas. anyone have any suggestions? He is an inside dog???? HMMMMM?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow i dont know...have you seen a doctor about the possibility of being allergic to animal dander? My dad is allergic to pet dander and has to take meds.....considering they have 6 dogs and 2 birds...he doesnt have a choice other than taking meds   lol. Or it could be a reaction to his shampoo???? i really dont know. Sorry

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would still wonder if it was fleas.  He must go out sometimes I'm sure.  If he brings a few in they will jump on humans sometimes thought they prefer the dog or cat.

My dogs got sarcoptic mange somewhere in the woods.  The mange mites were also biting me when I came in contact with them although the men in my house don't seem to have any problems.  If your dog has this he will be really itchy though.  Do you have him on Frontline Plus or another kind of flea control?

Nano

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
When my sister comes over she gets all itchy because of Maddie. But, that doesn't stop her at all! I guess she is just allergic to the fur, she was allergic to my other boxer as well. As soon as she leaves the house, she is fine. Must just be an allergy.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree it sounds like an allergy.  I will "sometimes" break out on my arms when I handle certain dogs.  It seems to be short coarse hair.  I will do it with Fiona if she has not had a bath for a while.  At work I notice that I will do it with Rott's, some Pit Bulls and ALWAYS with SharPei's.  If I see a SharPei coming, I just go and put on a long sleeve jacket because I know I will get a large rash on my arms.

I feel it is a combo of the hair and dander because when Fiona is "clean" I dont break out at all.  It is generally only on my arms when I do.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't know if it's the same thing, but sometimes if I rub up against/touch Roxy's hair in the opposite direction that it grows, I get a little itchy.  It's only on my arms.  It feels prickly to me and it does start to bother me a little.  For some reason, Astro's hair doesn't ever give me that same feeling.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure if this will help but Natures Miracle makes a product called Dander Remover & body deodorizer.  Works great.  My nephew is allergic to dogs so we always use this before he comes visit.  Also smells good & is great for in between baths.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts