Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've been reading up on clothes for dogs but my question is what about their paws? Has anyone tried to put boots on their fur babies? I have 2 puppies (approx 9 wks) and was looking to get them some sort of jacket.  I live in MD and the weather is getting chilly fast (they shiver and sit in between my legs when we go outside).  Should I get them boots for the winter when there is snow/ice on the ground? I've never seen a dog in boots so I was just wondering if it's a necessity.  Thanks!

Rebeka

Attachments

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I live in Mass (Northeast)  and lucky if I can get anything on my kids.   Boxers are inside dogs but an occasional play outside, potty break and walk are fine and will not damage their feet:)     Mine usually run around like mad dogs in the snow (well at least Hanna, K has not seen it yet) and sure the heat from all the energy she is burning will keep her warm.

However, they never spend a lot of time outside in cold weather.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I don't really think mine will let me put anything on their paws either  :lol:

They wouldn't be spending a long time outside, but from what I am reading... they need their exercise!!! Mine sure play hard already- I can't even imagine what the next few months will bring.  I'm mostly thinking about walks around the neighborhood or running around outside to burn off energy.  

As far as jackets/fleece is this a good idea? Or do they have to build up their "thicker skin"... they shiver like crazy now and I'm worried it's not good for them.

Any advice would be great :)
(my husband thinks I am crazy putting clothes on the puppies)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I got a nice cheap coat from Old Navy.  Its the sheepskin type, they never wear it, but I did try it once.  Now they just go bare and run around sweat and come in and nap - I want their life.

www.jbpet.com  has some good coats as well as foster and smiths.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lola went through last winter, as a puppy, in Wisconsin, with no coat or booties.  She seems to handle the cold pretty well.  Granted we never stayed outside for very long when it got really cold, really cold in my book being less than 20 F.  But in the 20's or 30's she'd run around in the snow with no problem.  The picture in the snow in my sig below was when she was 4 months old.

Lola didn't have booties either, although there were some occassions where she could have used them - and that is because of the salt that people use to melt snow on their side walks.  People always put down too much salt and then the sidewalk is left with undissolved granules of salt.  The dog steps on the salt, it sticks to their foot, then they step into snow and the salt causes the snow to melt creating a water droplet on their foot.  If it's cold enough outside that water droplet will refreeze on their skin/bottom of foot, which causes discomfort.  So I'd be careful around salt, but I wouldn't worry about snow in general.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts