Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckham will be 7 mos on the 19th of this month and we're finally ready to get him neutered and micro chipped.  :?

So I thought I had better find out everything I need to know before scheduling his appt.

Any tips (I've only dealt with cats being neutered)?  
What should I be aware of?
Are there any medications that should not be used on Beckham?  
What questions should I make sure I ask my vet?

I just want to make sure that I'm properly informed so my boy is as safe as possible :)

I appreciate all suggestions and thank you (ahead of time) for everyone's help!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Aww, time to say goodbye to Beck's nuggets! :bigrazz:  Sorry....
The only thing I would make sure of is that the vet does not use Ace, which you probably know already. Also, just find out when you need to pick up food and water the night before, and also about aftercare.
Beckham will do just fine. Let us know when our lil guy goes in.
Boy, I can't believe he is going to be 7 months already!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like tootsie stated the biggest thing to prepare is to take away his food about 8 or 9 the night before surgery.  I have heard mixed on whether to take the water also or if they can have it.  

The surgery isn't too hard on the dogs.  They may be a little groggy or they may act like nothing is wrong at all.  The vet may send home some pain meds or some type of after care medicaiton.

Just keep an eye on Beckham and everything should be fine.  Good luck, everything will go fine!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would like to know the same, I imagine neutering is going to be different experience than getting Macy spayed and I can't wait to take pictures of Guido with a cone on!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I didn't even need the cone when I got Buster neutered. He licked a bunch, but really didn't bother too much with it.  :wink:

·
Registered
948 Posts
It's been 2 long years since Toby was snipped... we took food at 8pm and kept him pretty low key for a week or so..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tootsie\";p=\"22622 said:
Aww, time to say goodbye to Beck's nuggets! :bigrazz:  Sorry....
:lol:   That's funny...yes his 'nuggets' are going to be leaving us.  It might not happen until after Labor Day, but it's just time to get it taken care of.  I wonder if he'll act any different after his boys are gone?  :roll:   LOL

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay just got off the phone with the vet.

The anesthesiologist is from the U of M and is aware of the boxer issue with Ace and I was told they wouldn't use it.  Food pulled around midnight (which it would be anyways) and water is okay.  He will get sent home with pain meds as well.  

Now they suggested that optional blood screening before he goes under to make sure there aren't any underlying health issues that could cause problems while he's under.   Is it worth it or is it just another ploy to squeeze more money out of me?   I want to eliminate all possible risks, but I'm also not rolling in dough.  Thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
If Beckham is current on shots and healthy without any doubt something was going on before, I would not have them do additional tests.  Unless something has you worried he isn't healthy, then I would do it.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I think the pre surgery tests are tests to see if the internal organs are working properly. I would speak to the vet and see if they are actually necessary for Beckham. But, I know vets have a way of talking you into things...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm really dreading this with Mic...I hate to see him in any kind of pain...and it will be the first time he and Indy have ever been seperated, not to mention seperation from us...poor little dude!

Hoping the smoothest and easiest of all outcomes for Beckham!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the pre blood work isnt necessary for the younger dogs. most of the time it is testing to make sure the dog is healthy enough and doesnt have any kind of clotting issues once in surgery. these are typical of older dogs, but if you want to make sure then have it done.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="Beckhams2ndmom\";p=\"22675":2fkh56hz] Is it worth it or is it just another ploy to squeeze more money out of me?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm so thankful for this forum!!  You all have calmed my fears and I feel confident in saying "no" to the additional blood test now.  

Thank you all so much for the tips and advice.
I will let you know when D day comes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts