Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Its been a very long time since I've lost my Selma to Lymphoma Cancer. Since loosing her I've looked at all kinds of breeds but in my heart I knew that Boxers are the only Pups for me. So I'm ready to face what ever ailments that may come my way. This time I will get health insurance that much I did learn.
So I'm on the hunt for pup. I would like to find a pup near Northern Illinois Wisconsin border. Looking to have as a Family member not a show dog she/he will be spoiled have its own pillow next to mine and enjoy many walks lots of love and great care from me and regular vet. Visits. I would like to pay a reasonable amount since I want to spend the money to enrich him/her life.

I will travel but I do not want it shipped. I want to visit dog first. I have a vet that will answer any questions you may have about my care reputation. Although you can also read about mine and Selmas journey with lymphoma cancer and that should be enough for anyone.
So I can't wait to get back into posting on this site.
Thanks for reading.
Selmas Mom :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am glad you are getting back out there again. I know from losing my dogs that its very hard to take that step again its hard to risk your heart and finances too. But when I got my little girl she healed a whole lot of hurts so I hope you find what you are looking for. Looking forward to seeing your posts

·
Super Moderator
7,042 Posts
Im happy to hear you have begun your search for another puppy.

Just a reminder, this is not a sales forums. You can however ask for breeder recommendations.

I would start by contacting your local kennel club and starting from there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck with your search!

Same here, we are ready to get another boxer, been 10 months since our girl passed.

I’m somewhat discouraged looking at rescues. Too many rules... we have a 6ft fence around the back. If we want a female, we we’re told must go,to,home with a male dog. If it’s a male needs a female dog, not interested in a home with no dogs. I understand some need confidence built but every single dog???? I will look at other rescues but looking for a young 1-3 yr old... Shelters here have no boxers mostly pitbulls.

So looking like a puppy then.... I’m in touch with a reputable breeder. So whenever the time is right...... being in New Jersey, we have low numbers now of Covid, but travel to other states is limited with every state on quarantine list. Except PA, DE, NY, CT, MA, ME. Our previous boxers were from a breeder. Unfortunately they don’t do it anymore

·
Registered
621 Posts
A lot of those Boxer rescues have to be careful where they place the dogs thats why there are so many rules and its unfair the dog to go thru the rehoming process only to be rejected again and usually those dogs are there because of some behavior problem their owners failed to correct and generally failed them all the way around so there is a lot at stake there plus the expense those rescues have so thank goodness for the work they do!! Good luck to all of you locating a puppy they are out there but sometimes it takes a long time to find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Yeah ... Rescues and Fostering can be hard on a family?? I was am?? Really good at it ... but I found the "Heartbreak," of passing a dog on to much to take??

I could only manage to do it ... well once really?? As a Foster ... if your really good at it?? You do the best you can to " work on a dog's issue's," before you let them go??

I did just that with my first foster and it really, really broke our heart's to let her go. Our second Foster was our, sigh turned into a PIA, Pack Fighting, Human Aggressive Wl GSD??

He was not like that, for month's, but as he got older LOL, "My Dog Changed??" Rocky seriously ... ticked me off! And yeah ... "technically," I could have sent him back to where he came from! I worked with "Dog Town Rescue," as a "Foster." And though Rocky was "Not," like this?? When we first got him at seven month's ... "going after people," ... also??" Now he was???

And yeah, I could have sent him back to where he came from?? But I could not handle the guilt?? Cuz what if "I," had done something wrong that made him like this?? And sending a "now," Human Aggressive 113 lb WL GSD ... back to Rescue was a Death Sentence??

I was pretty ticked off at Rocky! But "I," could not handle the guilt of sending him back now?? I had done the same thing's, I'd always done but I did not get the same result's?? So was this my fault???

I did not want him PTS, and I could not "now, pass him on??" So I had to "let go off the pass," and figure it out?? Worked out fine in ... the long run. But I felt he was "just to much responsibility," for most owner's??

It worked out fine for "us." But yeah with a "Rescue," you don't know what you are gonna get??? Some Foster's can train and rehab dog's with issue's and some not so much??

It really suck's, I think when people adopt a dog and take them back when "issue's" crop up?? Frankly I think that is BS, myself. But it is what it is.

But for the most part the only "requirement," for a Foster ... is to keep the dog Safe. Now if the dog has issue's?? That is really gonna depend on the skill of the Foster?? I passed Molly on (Queen's Land Heeler) to a thirteen year old and his mom. Cuz I knew they would be fine. :)

But Rocky sigh my Pack Fighting, Human Aggressive ... Wl GSD?? Yeah no, I "trusted no one," to keep him and the public safe?? He would have just been to much "Responsibility," for most people?? And well I trust "no one!"

Long way of saying, for me if "I" take a "Rescue/Foster On" and he turn's out to have serious issue's?? He is mine for life! I'm not gonna bail, if crap gets hard, or let some else "Deal With It??

Dog's getting returned two and three times, tick's me off! But that happens apparently?? If one can "simply," bail on a "Rescue," that turn's out to have issue's?? Well one should not have not gotten, that dog in the first place.

Rescue's do try and keep that from happening??? But as a "Foster," you have to look for issue's ... I tend to think?? Some do and some don't??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally found her she is so beautiful. I named her Mia she is 8weeks brindle in color. So smart ive already got her potty trained, and she sits on command still learning the hand signal but wow I'm so happy with having a boxer back in my life.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I finally found her she is so beautiful. I named her Mia she is 8weeks brindle in color. So smart ive already got her potty trained, and she sits on command still learning the hand signal but wow I'm so happy with having a boxer back in my life.
Well congratulations! And we'd like to see picture's when you get a chance.
:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes photos please! Congratulations!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts