Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made you look. I wouldn't give him away for all the tea in China!!! I do have a really stupid question though. I've read about "bell training", is this an easier way to housebreak, and is it to late to start Petey on it since he's already 9 weeks old. Also, this past Sunday (4/29) he was due for his 9 week worming, will it hurt anything to wait until Thursday or Friday? We were going to do it this weekend, but some stuff came up at the last minute we couldn't avoid and our weekly schedules are kinda hectic to get him to the vet any sooner. We're not seeing ay worms in his stool, but I'm sure that some things can't be seen by the naked eye. also in regards to housebreaking, Petey's finally getting into his routine, still has some accidents but not near as many. And he's growing, well, at least his legs are. He looks like a little puppy with stilts. Man I love that little dog!!--Rich

·
Registered
214 Posts
ive heard about bell training too and i too am curious about it. But im not sure if it will work because we have another dog that just scratches the door. Let me know if it works for ya!!! good luck
Meg

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
it shouldnt be difficult at all- i am actually going to try and bell train reese and she is 12wks. Just be consistant with it, and petey should pick up rather quickly. As far as worming is concerned to put it simply- life happens. Waiting one week will not throw anything out of wack. keep us posted on how petey does with the bell training.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just started Diesel with it on saturday, and as of this morning, he knows the command 'ring the bell' and will put his paw on it to make it jingle.

now I'm just tying in the back door opening when they ring it.

I did the same thing as when I was teaching him to 'shake' but I held the treat over the bell, and showed him what I wanted him to do. It only took him 10 minutes to learn.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol honeyec, I was going to say the same thing..My blood pressure must have gone up 50 points....I've never tried bell training, but heck, whatever works, right? Boxers are very smart, you just have to give them a reason to learn something...I'll be interested in how Petey does.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I would think this might teach a dog to scratch at the door to go out whenever!  I used the old fashioned way.  Anything takes time, consistancy and patience to teach.  I haven't found any easy fix on anything.

Nano

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I bought my bells from www.poochie-pets.net
They have a great training page as well
http://www.poochie-pets.net/Training.html

However I did use treats to get Diesel to learn to ring the bell. I couldn't keep his attention otherwise, he was more interested in playing with our other dog.

But now that he's ringing the bell on command only (without treats) I'm tying it into ring the bell, and the door opens.

It takes time, but hopefully he'll start asking to go out soon.  :emtthumbs:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try the bells, they may work really good. Thanks for the help guys--Rich

·
Registered
405 Posts
Actually, while Abby has not picked up on bell training at all, Brady, who is somwhere between 1 and 2 years old according to 2 different vets, picked up on it in about 6 days. He is perfect with it now. We were just consistant in making them ring it (by holding a small treat behind it each time we went out...we bought a cowbell in the "hunting" section at petsmart. It's a couple inches tall...just enough to make a noise we can hear from another room. Now he rings the bell and sits by it until we get there. Suggestion to avoid scratched doors...teach them to use their nose, not their paw! We initially started with his paw and quickly realized the potential for scratches...that's when we started tucking the treat behind it to force them to move it with their nose.
Unfortunately, doesn't work with Abby...maybe someday! (iwww...she's on my lap and just pooted. ick!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool, thanks a bunch. we're still looking into the bell training--Rich

·
Registered
616 Posts
Boy, I sure had the mallet out and was about to do some smashing with the title of this one!  

Gunner is the only one who will ring the bell.  Scout is just plain stubborn and lazy - no other way to put it.  He will stand by the door and wait for Gunner to ring it.  

We trained Gunner by putting a bit of the spray cheese on the rim of the bell and when he rang it, we would open the door and say "Go potty" and took him outside.  It didn't take long before he caught on.  By using the chez, he now uses his nose to ring the bell (no scratched doors).

In the beginning we had a few false alarms but you have to be consistent when he does it and make sure you put him outside everytime.  If not, he will not completely understand the reasoning behind the bell.  

Good luck!  It's the best thing we ever taught him!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I am new to this forum and haven't heard of bell training can someone please explain what it is and how it works!  We have a 8 week old baby in training LOL  She is really training me not the other way around.  I am very interested in any ne ideas.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oh Brady totally takes advantage of it too and gives us many false alarms! The door that we use for them, on which the bell rings....leads to the mud room first, then outside. Their food bin is in the mudroom and Brady likes to make sure we didn't get too sloppy in scooping out the food. So the minute he finished his meal, he rings the bell, just so he can get into the mud room and sniff around.
But bc it's what we've trained him and because we hope Abby will pick up on it by watching him, each time he does this, even if we know it's not because he wants to go outside, we put his leash on and make him go out anyways...even if just for a moment.
When he comes in...then he can investigate for any sloppiness.

·
Registered
616 Posts
[quote="tracyjayne\";p=\"8130":cg5xzfxx]Hi I am new to this forum and haven't heard of bell training can someone please explain what it is and how it works!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
what is it with you guys and the tricks!!!LOL

·
Registered
18 Posts
We recently moved into a house and Oscar was 8 months old.  By our back door (on the inside of our house) we have a a fake dog holding a welcome sign. One day we heard this clanging and looked and Oscar was pushing his nose at the sign making it sway back and forth which made a clacking sound and got our atention to let him out to go to the bathroom.  He has done it ever since.  Its very nice for us becasue the way our furniture is arranged it is hard to see when he is standing at the door, this way we can hear when he is at the door.  Good luck on the training I wish I could give you some pointers but our dog taught himself.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hello there! Well the "Bruyere" name got my attention. It's french for "heather" so i thought i might meet a fellow frenchie but you're from Texas :D How come you chose Bruyere - if you don't mind me asking? :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought some jingle bells from walmart and strung 6 or so together and hung it by the gate in the hall ( gate there to keep dog off carpet in dining room and front living room)

whenever I take her out for a potty break I make her sit to put her leash on and ring the bell and say "Potty?" as I open the gate.

now she goes over there on her own and scratches at the gate to go out which conviently also jingles the bells and I know she wants to go out!  I was suprised at how quickly she figured it out on her own.  Honestly it took less than a week.

of course it is still hit or miss and if we aren't right there then she will pee right there in front of the gate.  I only get really bent out of shape at these little accidents when she goes under the kitchen table to pee :x GRRRR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts