Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had this much trouble with my dogs ears before. I had Hondo's ears done when he was 10 weeks old and here it is 14 weeks later and I am still tapeing. The problem is his left ear keeps folding over on his head. My other dogs ears would fold over the other way but, after the first week of tapeing they stood. Im fix'n to just color some brindle stripes on the tape and call it a day.
Anyone have any sugestions?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
lol sorry i dont know but the picture of him it cute. i like the idea of coloring the tape. i know other people have cropped ears and might have better ideas, meanwhile ill go experiment on the right combinations of brown on tape to create that perfect brindle coloring.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sorry, Sadie has floppy so no suggestions here...I have heard it takes a LONG time to heal and the taping can sometimes be needed for some time...just don't know how long! I'm sure one of our members who's had experience may be able to give you some advice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When we had our first Boxer Bo,  they actually put a tampon in the base of the ear then wrapped  tape around the ear so it stood straight up.  We left it like that for weeks.  It worked for our dog.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Search on here for ear posting--There is a pic of using foam wedge and derma-bond for the ears

Scott

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm sorry for your frustration, but Hondo is still adorable and his "unique" ears give him personality.  I'm sure there are people that know what to do - probably just going to take more time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Molly and Summer are both floppy... but I actually think he looks unique lol.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Massage, massage and more massage. . . And patience. ;)

I have one girl who's ears were done at 6 months (they stood at 4 months, but we were tweaking until 6 months), and another who's weren't done until over a year old.

With ears that tend to fold inward, I tend to do a lot of massaging, especially at the bases. Sit on the couch with the dog between your legs, facing away from you, stick your fingers in his ears and your thumbs on the backs of the ears and rub up and out (away from the head) starting at the bases. If there are any "pockets" at the bases (and there likely is if the ear is folding in), try to massage them out. Massage will also help to get the blood up and flowing into the ear, which will help the cartilage to set up.

Good luck - the one that is standing looks great! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well the tampon route is def worth a try.  They are very sturdy and you wont see the tampon cause the tape will be all around the ear.  It was a very good idea that the vet had and we were happy to do it.   if you dont want to give it a try well then I guess just deal with the flopped over ear. LOL LOL

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've heard of using tampons before too! LOL Sounds bad... but it's really not.

Wish I could be of some help but we had Odin's done... and we only needed to have them taped for 5 days for them to stand up straight. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble... I know depending on the cut, width of the ear... etc it can take months and LOTS of taping before they stand up on their own. A lot of people ask their vets if their dogs are even good candidates to having it done since SOME dogs have EXTREMELY THICK ears.

Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda tried the tampon way of sorts. We wraped a piece guaze with tape and stuck that in his ears and then wraped the ears around that.
The problem with that was if we put it in deep enough to where it wouldnt come out when he shook his head it would hurt him and he would whine.
If we didn't put it deep enough he would shake it and would make the ear flop over.
Im just gonna keep tapeing, massaging, and hopeing for the best.

·
Registered
148 Posts
with gauze it just is not sturdy enough.  if you think about it this way, tampons are perfecty shaped to put in the ear and the ear wraps around it naturally.  It does work.  My boxers ears were beautiful when all was said and done and the vet later told us that his ears were the best work that the vet ever did.  Id like to think I also followed their guidelines to a tee.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My absolute favorite thing for posting ears is caulk backer rod. You can find it at your local home improvement store. It's made of foam, comes in a roll, and can be cut from the roll at a diagonal to fit down in the ear. It's very soft and flexible. They can roll around with it in their ears and even lay on it. Also, since it comes on a roll, it has a natural curve to it, which can be used to help train ears away from folding in over the head.

What I do is to reverse roll it with tape (to make it stickier) clean the inside of the ears with a cotton ball soaked with alcohol to remove oils, and then insert the rod into the ear so that it curves out away from the head. Secure with two pieces of J&J waterproof tape and then go over all of it with breathable athletic tape or Vetrap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
ya beat me to it Jess
I highly recommend the foam posts. I believe it"s a 5/8" size you'll need

look in the window insulation dept
'

·
Registered
113 Posts
ya beat me to it Jess
I highly recommend the foam posts. I believe it"s a 5/8" size you'll need

look in the window insulation dept
'

·
Registered
47 Posts
OHH!!!!

Man, can I relate. I've been going through this for about 6 weeks. We adopted Mercedes at 14 months and she still had one ear that flopped.

We started getting advice from a local pet store that do a ton of boxer work. The owner worked with me. We had the ear taped using a popsicle stick and cloth tape. This bugged her and she scratched her ear so it bled.
The good news is that when we take off the taping, it would stand up for a few hours.

So... Here is what we are doing now.

I did the breath-rite strips. They work, but lose the stickiness fairly quickly.

I have some hard plastic zip ties. They are sturdy, but still bend. I cut them so they are about 3/4 inch long and wrap them in cloth athletic tape.
Then.... I got some medical/surgical glue. It is a glue that is meant to glue skin together. It is called skin-bond and I got it at the pharmecy. Yup, I glued the zip tie/tape thingy to her ear. We've had it like this for about 2 weeks now. I have to re-glue every 3-4 days. I've very confident.

Based on what I've read here, I'm also going to try the massage.

Good luck

·
Registered
839 Posts
We never had problems with Harley's ears standing. They stood as soon as he came out of surgery. Sorry I can't help. The tampon thing is worth a try though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thatchman\";p=\"62991 said:
OHH!!!!

Man, can I relate. I've been going through this for about 6 weeks. We adopted Mercedes at 14 months and she still had one ear that flopped.

We started getting advice from a local pet store that do a ton of boxer work. The owner worked with me. We had the ear taped using a popsicle stick and cloth tape. This bugged her and she scratched her ear so it bled.
The good news is that when we take off the taping, it would stand up for a few hours.

So... Here is what we are doing now.

I did the breath-rite strips. They work, but lose the stickiness fairly quickly.

I have some hard plastic zip ties. They are sturdy, but still bend. I cut them so they are about 3/4 inch long and wrap them in cloth athletic tape.
Then.... I got some medical/surgical glue. It is a glue that is meant to glue skin together. It is called skin-bond and I got it at the pharmecy. Yup, I glued the zip tie/tape thingy to her ear. We've had it like this for about 2 weeks now. I have to re-glue every 3-4 days. I've very confident.

Based on what I've read here, I'm also going to try the massage.

Good luck
That sounds like a hell of an idea! The breath right strip holds it up the best. I just couldnt figure out how to get it to stick to his ear. I didnt know about that skin glue.
Im leaving his ear untaped right now so the scabs can heal and only doing the massage. Once the scabs are gone Im gonna try those zip ties ang glue.

Thanks for all the sugestions. I was hopeing to show him, looks like I will only be able to if they look at him from the right side. LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Beanie,  You said in an earlier post that you tried the foam wedge between the ears, if you hadn't heard of the glue than how did attatch the foam and the ears and top of his head? Tape?  This may be why it didn't work correctly for you.  You glue wedge of foam to the top of the dogs head and then the ears to the sides of the foam so they can't flop.  Derma-bond is really just super-glue for skin.  Good luck and keep us posted

Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts