Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a few new pictures from the breeder today of Izzy Belle.
She gave all the puppies in the litter a little bath today and took a few pictures in the process.
I can't wait till she can come home....the waiting is TORTUE!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: Izzy Bell 3 weeks old

too cute. I would be dying waiting on her to get home. hope the time flies for you!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Oh my goodness, how sweet is that....She is a pretty girl, love her markings

·
Registered
839 Posts
She is soooooooo sweet!!! The waiting is the hardest part!!! Especially knowing that your waiting for your baby to get home!!! Before we got Harley, I went crazy waiting to be able to go get him!! But its all worth it in the end!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
southerngirls\";p=\"54625 said:
Ahhh-she looks so sweet!! when does she get to come home?
The Breeder said if all the puppies were doing well and got the OK from the Vet, that they could go home on Christmas Eve. They will be just over 6 weeks old then.
I talked to my Vet about his feelings about her coming home then, and he said that if she is doing well at the time that it should be alright.
If she comes home Christmas Eve....I have already made an appointment with my Vet to check her over the day after Christmas.

Its approximately a three hour drive to the Breeders house...so it will be an exciting Christmas Eve!  :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Your pup will be missing out on some very important learning that goes on between litter mates in the 6-8 week range. Bite inhabition being one very important one. 6 weeks is very young to be removing the pup from the group. I am not trying to rain on your fun, but you and the pup would be far better served to get him later at 8 weeks at the least 10 even better. The social skills they learn in this time can make all the difference later on. But either way good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Bumpy\";p=\"54636 said:
Your pup will be missing out on some very important learning that goes on between litter mates in the 6-8 week range. Bite inhabition being one very important one. 6 weeks is very young to be removing the pup from the group. I am not trying to rain on your fun, but you and the pup would be far better served to get him later at 8 weeks at the least 10 even better. The social skills they learn in this time can make all the difference later on. But either way good luck.
I know there is a lot of controversy on this subject...but I just want to say that we got Jetta on her 6 week birthday...while she did have some bite issues, they have already started to decline a whole lot and she is only 4 months old...
She is the most social dog, both with people and other dogs and cats that I know...always ready to play and be loved...if you get a younger pup (6 weeks) you will just have to work a bit harder to make sure they get the lessons that they missed out on...teach bite inhibition...make sure they are around other dogs and people...etc...Congrats on the baby girl and I want more pics!

·
Registered
412 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"54641 said:
[quote="Bumpy\";p=\"54636":10v2g1qm]Your pup will be missing out on some very important learning that goes on between litter mates in the 6-8 week range. Bite inhabition being one very important one. 6 weeks is very young to be removing the pup from the group. I am not trying to rain on your fun, but you and the pup would be far better served to get him later at 8 weeks at the least 10 even better. The social skills they learn in this time can make all the difference later on. But either way good luck.
I know there is a lot of controversy on this subject...but I just want to say that we got Jetta on her 6 week birthday...while she did have some bite issues, they have already started to decline a whole lot and she is only 4 months old...
She is the most social dog, both with people and other dogs and cats that I know...always ready to play and be loved...if you get a younger pup (6 weeks) you will just have to work a bit harder to make sure they get the lessons that they missed out on...teach bite inhibition...make sure they are around other dogs and people...etc...Congrats on the baby girl and I want more pics![/quote:10v2g1qm]   I agree 100%. But they learn these lessons much quiker from their litter mates. And makes those early weeks that much more enjoyable for you. It's not going to ruin the dog by any means, just be aware that more work will be needed. My post was only to inform, as alot of folks don't know these things.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry..the whole too young thing is a senstive issue with me as it seemed that some people on another forum looked down on me for getting Jetta at 6 instead of 8 weeks...and she is a happy, healthy *i hope, lol* well socialized bright intelligent dog who doesn't seem to have suffered from being taken too young...was it work, yes...but it did help strengthen our relationship and I really think she sees me as her new mommy...

·
Registered
412 Posts
aquagirl900\";p=\"54652 said:
I'm sorry..the whole too young thing is a senstive issue with me as it seemed that some people on another forum looked down on me for getting Jetta at 6 instead of 8 weeks...and she is a happy, healthy *i hope, lol* well socialized bright intelligent dog who doesn't seem to have suffered from being taken too young...was it work, yes...but it did help strengthen our relationship and I really think she sees me as her new mommy...
 I understand. Their are some real strong opinions on the issue. I tend to agree that it is early, but as I said not un manageable. It does need to be said to an un knowing person though as knowledge is power. IMO it is the breeders reponsibility to realize this. And honestly one that lets them go that early will not get much respect from me. But again only my opinion. Not aimed at your pup in any way. I'm sure you have done just fine by her.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I to agree that 6 wks is a bit early..but then again we have people here who have had their dogs at that age who seem to be doing well. For my own piece of mind, i would talk to the breeder about waiting another two weeks, its hard but IMO well worth it. there is ALOT of things they learn quicker and easier from litter mates and mom during that time...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
southerngirls\";p=\"54669 said:
I to agree that 6 wks is a bit early..but then again we have people here who have had their dogs at that age who seem to be doing well. For my own piece of mind, i would talk to the breeder about waiting another two weeks, its hard but IMO well worth it. there is ALOT of things they learn quicker and easier from litter mates and mom during that time...
All the puppies are supposed to go home on Christmas Eve if Vet approved.
So Izzy wouldn't have her litter mates there with her if she did stay.

I was just looking at a couple of Videos the Breeder posted on her website of the puppies.
I don't see a lot of Izzy in them because they are very short....but from I am seeing of her...she appears to be the smallest of the litter.  :(  I hope that isn't a problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I agree with above posts that it is better to wait, however you have no choice it seems.  It shows poor breeder standards if the breeder is trying to get rid of them so soon.  IMO...

Your baby is a pretty girl.  Both of mine were the runts of their litters and they are growing up nicely.  Bo was even bottle fed.  Good luck with her, hope all goes well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Izzy\";p=\"54677 said:
[quote="southerngirls\";p=\"54669":15zq93f1]I to agree that 6 wks is a bit early..but then again we have people here who have had their dogs at that age who seem to be doing well. For my own piece of mind, i would talk to the breeder about waiting another two weeks, its hard but IMO well worth it. there is ALOT of things they learn quicker and easier from litter mates and mom during that time...
All the puppies are supposed to go home on Christmas Eve if Vet approved.
So Izzy wouldn't have her litter mates there with her if she did stay.

I was just looking at a couple of Videos the Breeder posted on her website of the puppies.
I don't see a lot of Izzy in them because they are very short....but from I am seeing of her...she appears to be the smallest of the litter.

·
Registered
933 Posts
She is too sweet....absolutely adorable!  I know you can't wait.....good luck being patient.  :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to let everyone know, that I will not be getting Izzy on Christmas Eve as first planned.
I talked with the Breeder and she said she really would rather keep the puppies till they were 8 weeks old or close to it, for those that would like to let them stay. (Virginia State Law is seven weeks old)
The Breeder was not aware of the law and genuinely appreciated the fact that I told her. Which I didn't know about the law myself until I Googled it the other day.
Most everyone will now be leaving their new puppies with the breeder until after New Year's.
We plan to pick Izzy up on January 3.  :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Its just a little longer and much better for the puppy to be with momma and her littermates a bit longer.  Can't wait to see more pictures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts