Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I took my newly adopted senior, Jackson, to doggie daycare/boarding for a temperament test. At this daycare, the dog is left there for several hours, where they see how he/she does in various situations and with various groups of dogs (dogs are separated in play sessions at this facility by size, temperament, play styles, etc.). I was very nervous, because, as a very recent rescue (last Friday!), I had no clue how Jackson would react with other dogs! He's been doing GREAT with my two little dogs, but a group situation with big dogs could be very different. I told employees what little I knew about him, and they said not to worry.

The first group of dogs he was tested with was the employees/owners dogs (all the employees bring their dogs everyday - how perfect is that for them?!?). The trainer told me that he was initially shy about going outside, but once out there, he did great and had a lot of fun! Yay Jackson! :clap2:

The next group of dogs was a very small group, including a pair of rough and tumble GSD sibblings that have a reputation of only playing with each other (littermate syndrome, big time...). Apparently, Jackson wanted to play too, and the GSDs ignored him, so he would bump into them, boxer-style (not aggressively, I was assured). The trainer laughed and said that was the only problem Jackson had - he wanted to play, and got frustrated when he was ignored. The employees loved Jackson, and said he was a very typical boxer. They have several regular boxer clients, so they're well versed in boxers' play styles.

Bottom line - Jackson did great and is welcome to go back any time!! :clap: We don't send him to regular daycare (too expensive for our budget, unfortunately), but we do use them for boarding. The dogs get daycare during the day, then they're boarded at night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats great he seems like a really sweet boy. I am one of those people who is lucky enough to get to bring my pup to work with me everyday and it is such a life saver Apache is 6 months and has crazy amounts of energy he comes home from work exhausted.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yesterday, I took Jackson to Petsmart for more socialization, and a 3 year old little boy had escaped his mom and made a bee line towards us. I caught the little boy just short of throwing himself on Jackson and gently told him to make sure he asked before touching a strange dog because not all dogs like being touched by strangers. I then offered to hold Jackson still for him, and he petted him all over. He thought Jackson's slobbery kisses were yucky - haha! Jackson was absolutely wonderful - the little boy and all his energy didn't phase him! :clap2: By then, mom had found us, and she almost had a stroke when she saw Jackson. I assured her that everything was fine and that we'd had a talk about asking for permission before approaching a strange dog. She was thankful, but then had to dash off, b/c her little whirlwind had taken off to see another dog. She was yelling after him, "don't touch the dog without asking!!" - lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts