Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Hoosier was trying to break out again. He's gotten out of his crate twice before and we couldn't figure out how. Now this:

You can see where he broke the weld and bent this piece upward:

Another a little more close up:

First the floor, then the pillows in the crate, now the crate itself! What am I gonna do with this kid? lol

G

·
0 Posts
wow...I am soo glad my dogs do well in their crate...I came home this morning to the tray pushed out of Bo's but that's about it...Hoosier sounds STRONG!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
that almost looks like the door to our kennel!! :lol: If we forget to latch the bottom latch Savannah will push through the tiny little bity space and get out....our door to the kennel is so jacked up and mangeled i am suprised it still close's right :D

G

·
0 Posts
we never do the bottom latch...never had a problem yet...they are such good puppies, lol

G

·
0 Posts
he is almost a year old boxer= i think he's like 50 lbs, but yes...he is a "pup"

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I guess we're gonna have to get him an orange jump suit!    Hanna did this - broke the hinges off the crate to get out - Our own real life McIver.    Glad he is ok!!

G

·
0 Posts
Wow. I homp my gorl dont fight he crate. SHe scratches the pan in the4 bottom but that is as far as she goes.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Boy that looks familiar!   8O  Been there, done that! Buster was my escapee, I was so scared he was going to break his  teeth or his jaw trying to get out. Hope he's okay!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's fine. Thanks for the concern. Yeah...he's a pup. 11 mos and 50 lbs. I had to clamp the hinges because he was pulling the entire front side "in" to get out. He is just recently disliking the crate...I think it has a lot do with it being less comfy...he kept tearing up pillows so we took them out and only put in blankets. Plus we had to stop with the Kong for a while until we got this food situation resolved. I'll give him a Kong tomorrow and see if it eases the stress...crappy weather has kept us indoors too....not to mention less visits to the daycare (he lost of ton of weight during holiday boarding). Life has sucked for the lil guy...its no wonder he wants out of there!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you tried a plastic veri kennel or covering his crate?
Some dogs like a more den-like enclosed area

There are also stronger wire crates, in which the wires cross at about an inch apart ($$$)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Awww, poor Hoosier.  Glad he's okay though.  Have you considered just gating off a room in your home instead?  The kitchen maybe?  We've never had any problems with Lola in her crate, but at my mom's house if we had to leave her there we would put the crate in the kitchen and gate the kitchen off so she could be in or out of her crate.  Never had an issue....well one chewed up ice tray but we can live with that!  May be an idea for you to try.  Then if it works no more stressing out for you or Hoosier.  Good luck

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Wish I had some advice, but both of ours do well in the crates.  Only thing we have done is crate them from the beginning.  FYI, I doubt those were actually welded.  More than likely they were just fused together.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
How long is he crated for normally?

I know people on here have said those plastic travel crates are actually stronger and have less wire to clamp on to.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I have the plastic veri kennel crate and I love it..Samson DID make a jail break out of the wire crate and destroyed way too much for me to continue using it, so went back and got the Veri kennel..Oh yea, he;s knawed on the plastic inside, but the way the door is, it's impossible to get out, the hinges drop down into these holes, so as long as you make sure they are in there, no jail breaks.....Glad Hoosier is allright tho...I swear, when they want out, they find a way, huh?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried gating of a room. We had a area off of the kitchen. He kept tearing down the blinds and that's where is shredded the two layers of linoleum and began working on the raw floor boards. That's what landed him back in the crate. He's normally crated for about 4 hours at a time. My wife or I come home during our lunch breaks to let him out for about a half an hour, then he's back in for about 3 hours. He has a few toys in there and we leave a radio on, but there was just something about the pillow that would drive him mad and now its the crate itself. If it keeps up, I'll have to try another kind of enclosed plastic crate, but he's just too destructive (and curious) to be left in a room. He gets plenty of exercise normally, but lately he's had it rough because of weather, food issues, and a drastic weight loss. I can tell he's not liking the crate as much as he used to...he used to run to it at the sight of his kong. Now his whole body language changes when I tell him to "go to bed". I wish I could get him to understand that ruining the pillows makes it less comfy! I'm also working on a treat that doesn't upset his stomach...the peanut butter I used to put in the kong only intensified his runs. He loves chicken and rice, so I may just make a weekly batch for kongs and treats.

As for the actually bar biting...I don't expect that to be a regular problem...especially since he'll be headed back to day care a few times a weak after regaining some of the weight he lost. I bent back the ones that he bent and I'll "paint" them with a little hot sauce. I just have to try to do more to tire the guy out until we can get back outside. We're hoping that he gets a little more chill as he gets older so he doesn't have to be in there...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts