Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it dang it dang it!!! We were swimming yesterday and after we got out he was favoring his left leg again. Same symptoms no putting weigt on it etc. I called the vet and asked her to refill the medication he took last time. She filled it and so we are again on limited activity. How often is this going to happen??

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Oh!! Poor Jaxon!! I know in humans an injured ACL usually results in surgery and a very long healing process - I just hope it doesn't go that way for Jaxon. Poor guy, he just wants to play. Good Luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Oh, Jaxon. You poor boy! I hope he recovers from this. I can imagine how hard it must be to keep our babies down. They just want to play! That's what they are all about!
Give him lots of love and kisses from us xoxo...

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
:(

Jaxxon the stuntdog

·
Registered
670 Posts
There are ACL braces for boxers (and other breeds)... You cast their leg and send it away to the clinic... They custom manufacture it and mail it back... You can send it back for adjustments as well... It works to restrict movement surfing healing and create stability post healing. I have one of these in the works for my Amber girl who had a ACL surgery this year and then started favoring her leg about three months post recovery. Ie after physio was complete and she had started walking normal again.

In lue we did more physio and keep MEDICAM in stock. If you have trouble finding the casting tape let me know and I'll sell you one at cost! About $10 CAD plus shipping. And the surgical/bandag scissors are only a couple bucks at a pharmacy.

·
Super Moderator
6,972 Posts
Oh no! Does he have an ACL tear? I was under the impression that the only way to tell if the ACL is torn is by going in surgically and having a look as no diagnostic imaging can show those results. Also, once an ACL is torn your only option is corrective surgery, then a strict maintenance plan must be followed so that re-injury does not occur.

Fraserbw, has Amber gotten her brace yet?

·
Registered
670 Posts
OrthoPets: Orthotic Brace or Prosthetic Device for Dog or Animal, including Stifle, Hock, Carpus, Elbow, Knee, Wrist, Ankle, or Paw

Partial tears can be castes or restricted for up to six weeks for natural healing. Some DVM will suggest casting first to try for natural healing... Others go right for TPLO surgery which I would avoid. The tethering method works most of the time if done right by the DVM and they do not need to be board certified to do it... Unlike TPLO which does require board certified DVMS. Post tethering surgery I would recommend the brace as it is possible to break the teather line and have to start over.

There are some tests that can indicate an acl tear... Ie The sliding drawer test... And or a combination with this sedation and xray... But 100 detection does require exploratory surgery....

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rocco, him and I were wrestling around a couple of months ago and his toenail got caught on a blanket as I rolled him over. The vet said she believes it was a partial tear and not a complete tear. It healed and was doing great and then a couple of days ago I guess he was rough housing with Baylee and injured it again.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fraser I can't even imagine bracing it. How do they play at all? How do they walk?? It seems very restrictive and I assume it is all the time?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Kari, we had to do some adjustments to the cast and are resending it in. She should have it in time for end if summer. With the physio and stretches and easier lifestyle she has slowly adjusted to... She is no longer having the Really bad days. Her gloucosamine supplements really do help with the arthritis in her hips and knee.

The directions do clearly state to mark the point of hock location of the knee cap and bone location... I must emphasize that you pay particular attention to these...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2Manydogs I am not sure about diagnosing. For a definitive answer I would imagine you need to open it up. I am not willing to do that until the last result. I do believe it was a partial tear because it did heal up for a month or so without any limping or such.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jaxon says thank you for all the hugs and kisses and well wishes. He is having a good day for now maybe he will stay quiet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Fraser I can't even imagine bracing it. How do they play at all? How do they walk?? It seems very restrictive and I assume it is all the time?
It does restrict movements... Yes and the more they wear it the better the same as a human brace... With time and practice they walk fine in it. There are tones of videos with single and duel brace pups. IMO it is 1000% better than TPLO surgery which has been linked to cancer development.

Either surgical option involves major sugary and s lot of post opt care.:doc: just wanted u to know your options... For Amber who had a tethering surgery and also has hip displaysia... Bracing the knee looks like the best option... Looking back I would have just braced the knee... And tried for a natural healing :discuss:

·
Registered
670 Posts
FYI either option in the OR requires the severing of any remaining cruciate ligament to facilitate the re-angulation of the tibia/knee... TPLO goes a step farther and involves cutting the tibia bone st the knee and adjusting the angle of the knee insterting surgical pins to reattach the bone to the tibia. This new angulation means that the knee no longer needs the cruciate ligament. Ewwwww I know...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts